Sponsored

SCCA CAM-C Thread

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Its so tempting just to try to add significant power and muscle through the few straights instead of minimizing weight and hopefully improving grip in the other 90% of the course.

I know the weight helps everywhere, but its soo involved for so little actual grip. If you have sufficient power, adding lightness is pretty much the only way to continue to make the car faster I guess.

Could we just have a gentleman's agreement to keep the CAMC min weight ~3500 lbs?
Sponsored

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
I promise not to do anything useful to my car’s weight that I also will probably never bring to a national event due to having 2 small kids at home.

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
Its so tempting just to try to add significant power and muscle through the few straights instead of minimizing weight and hopefully improving grip in the other 90% of the course.

I know the weight helps everywhere, but its soo involved for so little actual grip. If you have sufficient power, adding lightness is pretty much the only way to continue to make the car faster I guess.

Could we just have a gentleman's agreement to keep the CAMC min weight ~3500 lbs?
I've considered more power vs weight reduction, also. I have a connection for some power.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150

I jokingly asked Raleigh last year if he can bump the min weight up, he said that'll take some of the stock cars (2.0T Camaros) out...

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
Insert highly complex math for displacement and turbos vs min weights. And that’s how cam was ruined.

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I jokingly asked Raleigh last year if he can bump the min weight up, he said that'll take some of the stock cars (2.0T Camaros) out...
Joking, not joking. 4-cylinder turbo muscle cars are an affront to everything that is holy and CAM should not acknowledge their existence. There's nothing 'classic American muscle' about 4cyl turbo powerplants.

Prove me wrong

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
Joking, not joking. 4-cylinder turbo muscle cars are an affront to everything that is holy and CAM should not acknowledge their existence. There's nothing 'classic American muscle' about 4cyl turbo powerplants.

Prove me wrong
Dude, I'm right here. Why ya gotta be hatin'?

84mustanggtp-c.jpg

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
From what I understand, they get significantly below weight & ballast up.

My CAM 4-banger was inspired by the GM engineers that ran a Camaro 4-banger. I haven't put my car on scales, so I don't want to throw around any numbers, but I know it's a little piggy. I'm trying to get my weight down, but to do all the other chassis stuff as well. I'm going to switch to an AL diff housing when I change the gear/diff. When I can drop weight like that, it's a no-brainer. I don't think I can get to 3300#, even starting ~150# lower than the V8 cars.

murphyslaww

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Cayman, 2023 Lighning

lol. no way... you are too fast. I have to pick up time somewhere... I don't touch my engines. Everyone I know that does, buys a new one...

Sponsored

Steve68Cougar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'68 Cougar, '08 Mustang Bullitt, '18 Mustang RS2

I can tell you from personal experience that a 750hp tune results in rarely using full throttle, even with 305s all the way around. A more highly developed suspension might help some, but there's only so much traction. I can also tell you it's a lot of fun to try to get as much out of it as you can. I don't regret getting a supercharged car at all, but it's definitely a handful. Throttle modulation is the key.

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
Im beginning to think this will be my final year in a Mustang. We'll see. I'm tired of the "just one more thing and it will be done" stuff...working on the car every weekend...

Just want something I can drive and buy tires. Though my car is close to that now. We'll see how the rest of the year and Nationals goes.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Im beginning to think this will be my final year in a Mustang. We'll see. I'm tired of the "just one more thing and it will be done" stuff...working on the car every weekend...

Just want something I can drive and buy tires. Though my car is close to that now. We'll see how the rest of the year and Nationals goes.
My car has been pretty stable. I buy a lot of tires, but I don't find myself forced into surprise repairs or upgrades too bad. I do try to do the major work during the winter break. Keeping the car track-day ready is half my problem.

But we do have a bit of an arms race developing here in TX first with me going aero in Jan '21, and now with Fletcher and Sutton doubling down on lightweight mods here in early '22.

CAM in TX used to be so chill, now people are all trying and stuff.

We have another two GTs in Austin who are starting to build out CAM cars now (no aero yet this year on either of them tho), and then we have an Ecoboost Optima car which is getting ALL the dodads, even if it does sound like farts.

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
My car has been pretty stable. I buy a lot of tires, but I don't find myself forced into surprise repairs or upgrades too bad. I do try to do the major work during the winter break. Keeping the car track-day ready is half my problem.

But we do have a bit of an arms race developing here in TX first with me going aero in Jan '21, and now with Fletcher and Sutton doubling down on lightweight mods here in early '22.

CAM in TX used to be so chill, now people are all trying and stuff.

We have another two GTs in Austin who are starting to build out CAM cars now (no aero yet this year on either of them tho), and then we have an Ecoboost Optima car which is getting ALL the dodads, even if it does sound like farts.
Yeah between damper changes, spring changes, aero design and changes, now everyone going light weight I'm getting to a point of "meh".

This car in such a class will never be "done"

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
You gotta go full moneyball on them and get out the plasma cutter! We can win this lightweight game :)
Sponsored