Radiator Swap?

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
@Tomster no offense ever taken from you bro.
I get it, and having met you I get it even more. I just think ford did a great job engineering the car. I never had a cooling issue, even running flat out at Daytona.

I will attempt to gracefully bow out. No offense was intended.
Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
The OEM cooling system is pretty good, but it is ugly and very possible to overheat. Especially at tracks like cota where you can spend a lot of time at high RPM, but not have a whole ton of air going through the grill compared to a straightaway.

FWIW, I run a Mishimoto radiator and it’s been great to me. I got temps under control and quality on my particular unit was great.

OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
So, here's what a good radiator does for you! Just sharing a good story you guys will appreciate while we're on the topic.

@Tomster ...I am upgrading this mod from tasteful to full on functional. Caveat; I acknowledge the results or "need" for our cars may be different, but still impressive. So, without further adieu...

Earlier in the thread. you guys know I got the Mishi radiator for my sons S197 car. Back story on the car -- Gen I coyote putting 421 to the wheels. Bone stock cooling system. Car runs a fairly rock solid coolant temp of 194-198 all the time; hot weather, in traffic, etc. That's admirable. Can even say zero concerns there. Even call that ideal! May see an occasional 200-202 on the nGauge every now and then when it's really hot, but get some air going and back down to ~195 it goes.

That's where that good bit ends. One, maybe two WOT pulls on a freeway ramp or back road and the temp is rapidly up in the 200's. You can absolutely forget an epic day in the mountains up hill, much less even dream about a track day. Too much playing around will net you 210+ temps and climbing (and climbing very quickly). It cools down quick when you get out of it, but spurts of fun are short lived. Still no huge big deal and no dangerous temps.

Now enter the gorgeous Mishimoto radiator. Stock water pump and thermostat still. Now, in traffic this week, 98 blazin hot humid midwest day, the coolant temp is running slam down against the thermostat at 180. Normal driving regardless of outside conditions, in traffic, you name it, it will not climb above 185. We can't even get it touch 190. Not much time to play around with anything major, but a few back road pulls just to test the install and short curvy road screaming in second gear the whole time netted something around 188 (was the hottest we saw) with no indication of climbing much higher. And you can read between the lines what that would net on an epic uphill mountain road all day.

tempImageBRR2Ms.png

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
I just put the mishi in my 350 for preventative with the whipple install. I thoutht the out of the box quality is outstanding.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
So its no longer tasteful, but instead functional..... got it. Lol

Sponsored

OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
So its no longer tasteful, but instead functional..... got it. Lol
Aahhhhh….I didn’t say it was no longer tasteful, I said I was upgrading the status. It’s still both! Hahahahha.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
It's been years but my opinion of mishimoto is very low based on the electric fan assembly I purchased from them. The tabs were crooked and the fabrication, frankly...looked like I did it one day after work. I'm sure that things improve over time but the fact that a company would send something like that out to a customer, ever, stays with me. In my eyes, the company was built on sending garbage products for years - the possibility that things look better now doesn't matter much to me. No thk you.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Sorry, but if that was the case none of us would be in a Gt350. Remember the Pinto. My 6.0 250 had bad engineering in the engine as well. The list is long and distinguished. No company gets it right every time. I get the frustration with a substandard part.

It's been years but my opinion of mishimoto is very low based on the electric fan assembly I purchased from them. The tabs were crooked and the fabrication, frankly...looked like I did it one day after work. I'm sure that things improve over time but the fact that a company would send something like that out to a customer, ever, stays with me. In my eyes, the company was built on sending garbage products for years - the possibility that things look better now doesn't matter much to me. No thk you.

OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
@stanglife Jeff...yeah man, I don't think that's the case any longer. This radiator inside and out is gorgeous. you can tell. I get what you're saying though; heck, I was shocked with this thread to hear the people bagging on Fluidyne. When we started down this path for the car, Fluidyne was my top choice. Thus this left me confused. So I started doing homework. The feedback I found out there on Mishi radiator was stellar, and my received product has lived up to that. Utterly perfect fitment, gorgeous welds, ancillary attachments all in the right place, everything works. And I posted the results. IMO would Fluidyne been the same result? Most likely. But I'd say things have changed from your experiences.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Sorry, but if that was the case none of us would be in a Gt350. Remember the Pinto. My 6.0 250 had bad engineering in the engine as well. The list is long and distinguished. No company gets it right every time. I get the frustration with a substandard part.
@stanglife Jeff...yeah man, I don't think that's the case any longer. This radiator inside and out is gorgeous. you can tell. I get what you're saying though; heck, I was shocked with this thread to hear the people bagging on Fluidyne. When we started down this path for the car, Fluidyne was my top choice. Thus this left me confused. So I started doing homework. The feedback I found out there on Mishi radiator was stellar, and my received product has lived up to that. Utterly perfect fitment, gorgeous welds, ancillary attachments all in the right place, everything works. And I posted the results. IMO would Fluidyne been the same result? Most likely. But I'd say things have changed from your experiences.
Good that they are better now, it seems. In my case, I'm just not going to buy them again. It was just that bad - and a hassle about returning. You know what they say about first impressions.

@Inthehighdesert Yes, but I never bought a Pinto :)

Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I know the thread isn't really about this company so I don't want to beat a dead horse (and i realize that BB has pretty mch 100% complaints only) but:
https://www.bbb.org/us/de/new-castl...oto-automotive-0251-32001883/customer-reviews
This was pretty much my experience - bad product and on top of it, a hassle to get returned or replaced.

https://www.amazon.com/Mishimoto-MM...ll_reviews&filterByStar=one_star&pageNumber=1
Plenty of positive reviews there too.

I simply prefer OEM when it does the job. I built a new edge mach years ago and used many OEM+ parts including 03-04 cobra accessories and whipple...oem 6-speed.. Ford GT cams..everywhere it made sense, was OEM. A friend build a KB mach1 with aftermarket everything - he nefver enjoyed the car and it usually wasn't running or needed significant work.

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
Hi All

I am considering upgrading to the Performance Pack radiator to my 2015 GT Vert.

I watched this video.

Any other suggestions I should do. I am also confused as to yellow versus orange coolant...which is the current one? Also, can I use Prestone antifreeze? If so, which type should I use?

Thanks

CVCashmere

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Hi All

I am considering upgrading to the Performance Pack radiator to my 2015 GT Vert.

I watched this video.

Any other suggestions I should do. I am also confused as to yellow versus orange coolant...which is the current one? Also, can I use Prestone antifreeze? If so, which type should I use?

Thanks

CVCashmere
Top of this forum are the coolant stickies to help with choosing the correct coolant:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/fo...-servicing-break-in-oil-battery-plugs-etc.96/

This thread will give you more info about the Performance Pack radiator vs "base":
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...k-radiator-worth-upgrade.155962/#post-3260350

OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Is coolant ruulllyy that much if a concern? I mean, we’re not talking oil here. Any top shelf coolant is gonna be more than sufficient, no? Especially if they say they meet X spec.

Gt350procharged

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 gt350 proxharged
so whats the verdict guys? I have a gt350 procharged used for the race track roadcourse.....I have a hood vent and 2 oil coolers....the car runs perfect if i shift at 6k rpm all day on the track but revving at 8k overheats car........which rad will cool the car best as we know there is single a triple pass designs C&R, fluidyne, mishimoto, CSF and maybe dewitts ?
Sponsored