Sponsored

Radiator Swap?

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Anyone done a radiator swap yet, just as a tasteful mod? Probably not needed on a street car, but still a tasteful mod to consider. Seems like most of the heavy hitters have one for the car; C&R, Fluidyne, Mishimoto, etc, but prices swing a bit large.

What say ye?
Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I am not a gt350, but I can comment with the brands/swap. I am an ecoboost, but I just few months ago swapped my base eb radiator, for the mishimoto variant, that thing was massive difference, and the quality felt astounding.

I was comparing some brands as well, what ultimately pushed me to mishimoto was the warranty, its lifetime. everyone else said 2 years and I read tons of reviews where radiators would break apart in 2 years out of warranty though id check the warranties on those competitors. I felt mishimoto was going to feel/look/seem cheap. but after having hands on it. it was really darn nice. put the oem one to shame on my car.

I was living in the 200-225 CHT on my car with oem radiator other than being on highway in general, idling would almost instantly leave the 185 zone to 215-225 within minutes. after I tossed the mishimoto in, crazy difference. I always stay at 175-185, all day and idling. it takes a long time for my CHT to start to raise after idling for a long time. when fan does kick on, it drops fast.

now, I dont know how much bigger the mishimoto is over gt350, but in my mind, a gt350 stock id imagine having pretty much the entire area being filled ? posting couple photos of what comes in EB vs the mishomoto. imo- I am happy I went with mishi, and I will buy from them again. til then I always assumed mishimoto was just a meh brand. I always associated them to Japanese cars.

(edit, ecoboost radiators have legs that go below it) we have shorter radiators than you guys due to intercooler) so thats why it looks diff in one photo. I dont have a lot of experience, but I knocked it out in 2-3 hours by myself. was pretty simple.

0D73C8EC-503C-4E6D-B919-FC763640A409.jpeg

0E4AE70B-902A-42EE-A836-D37A21EB979E.jpeg

44B98767-2370-414A-A04B-8F34D3DCA9C6.jpeg

C9140991-7C1B-44E8-8CA2-92641DBBD679.jpeg

Kobi Addiction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT350
I upgraded the radiator to keep my engine temps cool and efficient with the Whipple blower. There wasn't an issue with the factory unit, but I just like to stay on top of things so I can prevent issues from occurring. The last couple pics are of the recent aluminum radiator bracket upgrades to compliment the Fluidyne.

This is the Fluidyne 3-Pass High Performance Aluminum Radiator (Part No. FHP30X-15MU)

Cylinder Head Temps stay between 185F - 205F with spirited street driving w/ the Whipple on a warm 80F - 90F Texas day. I also have a bottle of Purple Ice mixed in with the Ford Coolant to put that cherry on top.

IMG_8087.jpg

IMG_8092.jpg

IMG_8089.jpg

IMG_8093.jpg

IMG_8101.jpg

IMG_2260.jpg

IMG_2261.jpg

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I am not a gt350, but I can comment with the brands/swap. I am an ecoboost, but I just few months ago swapped my base eb radiator, for the mishimoto variant, that thing was massive difference, and the quality felt astounding.

I was comparing some brands as well, what ultimately pushed me to mishimoto was the warranty, its lifetime. everyone else said 2 years and I read tons of reviews where radiators would break apart in 2 years out of warranty though id check the warranties on those competitors. I felt mishimoto was going to feel/look/seem cheap. but after having hands on it. it was really darn nice. put the oem one to shame on my car.

I was living in the 200-225 CHT on my car with oem radiator other than being on highway in general, idling would almost instantly leave the 185 zone to 215-225 within minutes. after I tossed the mishimoto in, crazy difference. I always stay at 175-185, all day and idling. it takes a long time for my CHT to start to raise after idling for a long time. when fan does kick on, it drops fast.

now, I dont know how much bigger the mishimoto is over gt350, but in my mind, a gt350 stock id imagine having pretty much the entire area being filled ? posting couple photos of what comes in EB vs the mishomoto. imo- I am happy I went with mishi, and I will buy from them again. til then I always assumed mishimoto was just a meh brand. I always associated them to Japanese cars.

(edit, ecoboost radiators have legs that go below it) we have shorter radiators than you guys due to intercooler) so thats why it looks diff in one photo. I dont have a lot of experience, but I knocked it out in 2-3 hours by myself. was pretty simple.

0D73C8EC-503C-4E6D-B919-FC763640A409.jpeg

0E4AE70B-902A-42EE-A836-D37A21EB979E.jpeg

44B98767-2370-414A-A04B-8F34D3DCA9C6.jpeg

C9140991-7C1B-44E8-8CA2-92641DBBD679.jpeg
I'll also agree with the above sentiments regarding Mishimoto quality.

Not S550 related, but I just had to replace the rad in my 94 Cobra. You're not going to believe it, but it was the 2nd time I've had to replace it - and it was the 2nd and LAST Fluidyne radiator I will ever purchase. Each aluminum Fluidyne became a leaker where the core rows are inserted at the tank ends. The first leaked right out of the box on first startup - had to get a new one, which is the 2nd. The 2nd has only lasted less than 7 years on a vehicle that is barely driven and is garaged.

I went with Mishimoto this time due to their patented design for the SN95's, their price and the fact as noted above, a lifetime warranty showing they stand behind their products.

The Mishimoto is high quality and also has a Serial # on it for warranty purposes. It was a direct fit with no mods necessary and it comes with a rad cap too. The overall quality and workmanship of the Mishi is far superior to the Fluidyne hands down. The weld quality is evidently superior between the 2 products.

If going with a Mishi, before plunking down your $$$ at XYZ Vendor, go to Amazon and look up the exact Mishi part # on there. They have an Amazon store and the prices are sometimes less than most of the common Mustang vendors and you could qualify for free shipping depending on your Amazon account type. You can also apply any current Amazon discounts or perks if they are available to you.

And FYI Mishimoto comes right out of Delaware.

Sponsored

Rev Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R, 2023 BMW X3
I'll also agree with the above sentiments regarding Mishimoto quality.

Not S550 related, but I just had to replace the rad in my 94 Cobra. You're not going to believe it, but it was the 2nd time I've had to replace it - and it was the 2nd and LAST Fluidyne radiator I will ever purchase. Each aluminum Fluidyne became a leaker where the core rows are inserted at the tank ends. The first leaked right out of the box on first startup - had to get a new one, which is the 2nd. The 2nd has only lasted less than 7 years on a vehicle that is barely driven and is garaged.
I went through like 3 Fluidyne radiators on my old Vortech 96 Cobra. They cooled all right but they just were not that durable and had a short life span.

On a N/A street driven 350, my vote is to keep the stock radiator.

Kobi Addiction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT350
Sorry to hear about the subpar experience with Fluidyne from years past, gents. I researched and noticed the same complaints from about 10 - 15 years ago. I decided to give them a shot and quality out of the box looks solid with excellent welds. Looks like they possibly got their sh*t together, but obviously only time will tell. Its been about 15 months on mine with great performance and zero issues to date...

I will most definitely post up any issues I have with any aftermarket parts I run.

IMG_8011.jpg

IMG_8014.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
In any case, if you've still got the powertrain warranty, I'd leave it as is for now.
Meeehhhh...a radiator is gonna be preettttyyy darn low threat.

Yeah, can’t say that I’ve ever heard too much negative about Fluidyne prior to this thread while researching other products in the past, but Mishimoto is well regarded also. I think ya just can’t go wrong.

OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Hoooo Leeeeee Shitballs…just got a Mishimoto radiator for my sons S197 because why not. But holy cow this thing is gorgeous. I will be getting one for my car. Beyond impressed, especially for the price.

Now, we can have the dumb conversation of “need” vs want if you want to, buutttt…what a very tasteful mod that looks great and doesn’t hurt a thing.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Hoooo Leeeeee Shitballs…just got a Mishimoto radiator for my sons S197 because why not. But holy cow this thing is gorgeous. I will be getting one for my car. Beyond impressed, especially for the price.

Now, we can have the dumb conversation of “need” vs want if you want to, buutttt…what a very tasteful mod that looks great and doesn’t hurt a thing.
Don't forget to register it on their website for the lifetime warranty.

---

As far as needs vs wants with S550's, IMO, if the car is solely used on the street, will never see any timed events and will remain N/A - the factory stock radiator AND thermostat is designed as efficient as possible for the vehicle.

If the car will be used for more timed events and/or will be Turbo'd or Supercharged - then upgrade the rad. The stock thermostat should be more than sufficient. In many modern vehicles changing the thermostat has no gains UNLESS you tap the ECM and change stock parameters OR have an aggressive aftermarket tune that requires a different thermostat.

Sponsored
OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Don't forget to register it on their website for the lifetime warranty.

---

As far as needs vs wants with S550's, IMO, if the car is solely used on the street, will never see any timed events and will remain N/A - the factory stock radiator AND thermostat is designed as efficient as possible for the vehicle.
Will do.

And I don't disagree with you. You're absolutely right. IMO, sticking with the stock temp thermostat in a modern modular engine is very important unless you have a justified reason and a tune to go along with it. Not in the plan at all.

But a radiator, IMO, is a pretty tasteful mod that offers plenty of benefit, and with a stock thermostat, presents no threats. And to give you some background on me, it's not always about the gain or a bonafide, measurable performance improvement. Sometime its only about having a fun project to do to the car (money is never a factor, BTW). This is one of those projects.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Sorry, but what does a tasteful mod constitute?

If the oem works fine, why the need to change?

OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Sorry, but what does a tasteful mod constitute?

If the oem works fine, why the need to change?
Come on Tom!! LOL. Speaking for me personally, modding and turning wrenches on the car is the hobby. That's the end goal. Stop. It's not about only doing mods that squeeze out every last drop of performance, have some justifiable measurement, and so on. This radiator for example (since we're on the topic), fulfills that need. It's a cool mod, it looks great, it does offer some benefit, and it satisfies the need to work on the car without being too much, or a threat. It give me and my son a project to do together, which is what we live for. That's my definition of "tasteful mod"...since you asked.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Come on Tom!! LOL. Speaking for me personally, modding and turning wrenches on the car is the hobby. That's the end goal. Stop. It's not about only doing mods that squeeze out every last drop of performance, have some justifiable measurement, and so on. This radiator for example (since we're on the topic), fulfills that need. It's a cool mod, it looks great, it does offer some benefit, and it satisfies the need to work on the car. It give me and my son a project to do together, which is what we live for. That's my definition of "tasteful mod"...since you asked.
I'm just asking. No offense intended.

We are not talking about swapping out an oil pan drain plug.