Sponsored

Performance pack radiator worth upgrade

thecloneranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 royal crimson mustang gt
I can purchase a used pp radiator from a co worker for 100$ is it worth the upgrade from a base 2018 ? I do live in Texas so the summers get hot but just wondering if it’s worth the upgrade ? I see that they sell them on American muscle for 400 I think
Sponsored

larr12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alberto
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang PP1
I think its suppose to be 50% larger than the base radiator.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Just curious - has anyone ever compared a Non-PP Radiator up against a true PP Radiator using images and by dimension?

I know we always hear and read the Performance Package comes with a “PP Radiator” and it’s in S550 Ford literature as such, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone do an actual side by side comparison.

Do the S550 GT350’s have a PP Radiator, or a GT350 specific radiator that is better than the PP Radiator?

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
If you're running stock power and not going on track, no. But for that price, if you're willing to do the work it would be hard to say no, as long as it's in good condition.

sphinx

Mr. Whipple
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
67 Mustang GT Fastback
CloneRanger ... did you score?

I am in on this one ... if you pull the trigger, Cobra Jet is spot on. A side by side, top to top edge to edge. On my 19 PP, front to back my core measures 1.25" thick. The tanks are ~2.0" wide and there seems to be about 25% more room on the front side of the assembly for additional tank thickness. Ford specified a different part number and description for the PP option that the rad is larger.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CloneRanger ... did you score?

I am in on this one ... if you pull the trigger, Cobra Jet is spot on. A side by side, top to top edge to edge. On my 19 PP, front to back my core measures 1.25" thick. The tanks are ~2.0" wide and there seems to be about 25% more room on the front side of the assembly for additional tank thickness. Ford specified a different part number and description for the PP option that the rad is larger.
@sphinx
Good info there with the measurements! Thanks for providing them too, it will help others in the future.

Twizzty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bones
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro 1SS 1LE MT
Vehicle Showcase
Did this upgrade last night from my '18 A10 base GT radiator to the PP/GT350 radiator. Bought it from Ford Performance Parts for $240 and free shipping, arrived at the house in 3 days from day of order. https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-8005-M8 It's exactly the same in everyway to the base radiator except it's 1/4 inch thicker and held about a 1/2 gallon additional coolant. Install was pretty easy and we were finished in about an hour.

I'm only making this upgrade because I started to track this car and wanted/needed any additional cooling I can get.

Last edited:

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did this upgrade last night from my '18 A10 base GT radiator to the PP/GT350 radiator. Bought it from Ford Performance Parts for $240 and free shipping, arrived at the house in 3 days from day of order. https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-8005-M8 It's exactly the same in everyway to the base radiator except it's 1/4 inch thicker and held about a 1/2 gallon additional coolant. Install was pretty easy and we were finished in about an hour.

I'm only making this upgrade because I started to track this car and wanted/needed any additional cooling I can get.
Good information, thanks for adding to the thread!

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT

That's super cheap! Wow. What did the coolant capacity of the system increase to? Did you measure?

Sponsored

Twizzty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bones
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro 1SS 1LE MT
Vehicle Showcase
Good information, thanks for adding to the thread!
Anytime CJ, wish I would have grabbed a picture for you.

That's super cheap! Wow. What did the coolant capacity of the system increase to? Did you measure?
I thought so also, half the cost of the aftermarket options and fits perfect. I was only able to measure what we drained from the system. 1.5 gallons is what came out of the base radiator, 2 gallons is what went back into the PP radiator to refill.

Another note Ford is now onto yellow coolant to replace the orange or green coolant as of 08/2020. https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubrica...Antifreeze-Coolant Backward Compatability.pdf

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Anytime CJ, wish I would have grabbed a picture for you.

I thought so also, half the cost of the aftermarket options and fits perfect. I was only able to measure what we drained from the system. 1.5 gallons is what came out of the base radiator, 2 gallons is what went back into the PP radiator to refill.

Another note Ford is now onto yellow coolant to replace the orange or green coolant as of 08/2020. https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/quickref/FCSD Motorcraft Yellow Antifreeze-Coolant Backward Compatability.pdf
Nice, did you have to remove the bumper?

Twizzty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bones
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro 1SS 1LE MT
Vehicle Showcase
Nice, did you have to remove the bumper?
Nope, didn't have to as it comes right out the top and drops right back in. I used this video as a basic guide and it worked well.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Nope, didn't have to as it comes right out the top and drops right back in. I used this video as a basic guide and it worked well.

I'm gonna follow your footsteps then, haha. Thanks for the input. I just have to figure out what to do with my grille shutters.

Twizzty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bones
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro 1SS 1LE MT
Vehicle Showcase
I'm gonna follow your footsteps then, haha. Thanks for the input. I just have to figure out what to do with my grille shutters.
"You can do it" lol the hardest part was taking the eleventy billion screws/push pins out of the bottom tray, everything else is just in and out. Also, swap out the fan shroud on the bench as it fits right back in all together. I left the active grill shutters in, just didn't feel like messing with them this go 'round.

Any questions just let me know but you'll be fine!
Sponsored