Sponsored

One piece lug nuts

nevadalarry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Does anyone know of a manufacturer that makes one piece lug nuts for the S550. The factory nuts are two piece and I had the covers swell on them making them almost impossible to remove. I know several other people have had this problem and supposedly a class action suit is pending against Ford motor company.
Sponsored

Osofast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt premium
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone know of a manufacturer that makes one piece lug nuts for the S550. The factory nuts are two piece and I had the covers swell on them making them almost impossible to remove. I know several other people have had this problem and supposedly a class action suit is pending against Ford motor company.
Here is the lawsuit. I was affected in this with a fusion.
https://www.hbsslaw.com/cases/ford-lug-nut-defect

I can’t talk from experience but i have been told the gorilla lug nuts are good replacements

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
Do a search here as there are a few threads on this subject.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
He can do a search, but facts are, the factory lugs nuts are aluminum caps over pot metal lugs... which are truly unsafe from a torque perspective.

For those not familiar with those lugs, some might think they are torquing the lugs to to spec, when in reality, the cap could have AND DOES spin around the pot metal below it... Giving a false torque spec which can cause serious bodily injury and property damage IF a wheel comes loose at speed due to improper torque. Even without a torque wrench, it may seem like the lug was tight, but was never truly tight.

The lug metal under the cap gets corroded due to any type of moisture and worse if in a salt environment. When that happens, the cap swells, comes loose or gets distorted. The cap also will round itself due to turning or spinning on the pot metal below it.... The corrosion is also occurring due to there being (2) different metals, which causes electrolysis and accelerates corrosion (aluminum over pot metal)...same damn shit that happens with the corroding hoods.

For those that do not know - if you insist on keeping the factory lugs, any lug that has become damaged or swollen due to the poor design is replaceable for free by Ford under the 3/36 warranty. I know this as fact, as on my prior 2016 S550, ALL (20) lug nuts were replaced under warranty due to the damaged/swollen caps. I still have the work order with the tech notes.

Whoever came up with that piss poor and unsafe design for a lug nut should be stood up against a wall and continuously pelted with them.

Those factory 2-piece aluminum caps over pot metal lugs are on all 2015-2019 Ford Mustangs. I just filled out the form for the Class Action Suit; I suggest others do it as well.

Last edited:

Sponsored

BrettT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2006 Jetta 2.0T, 2013 Escape SEL
Yes, those two piece lug nuts Ford uses are garbage. Replaced 2/3 of them on my 2013 Escape and then just bought a set of chrome locking nuts by McGard from Amazon, and cheaper than the Ford crap.

azelmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP2 RC, 18 BMW 430i, 2022 C8 Z51 (on order)
I replaced mine too. Got some good ones from a local wheel shop

HeelToeHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP, 05 focus st
You guys are using a metric socket right?

I haven't seen a lug nut that doesn't have wrench flats on the steel core. Usually the aluminum skin fits over that core and isn't very structural. If you use a standard socket you could be deforming (stripping) the outer skin because the socket doesn't fit tightly.

I agree that in cars that see salted roads the nut tends to corrode under the skin and baloon it, but I haven't seen the aluminum spin separately from the steel (this failure mode is also not referenced in the class action).

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
You guys are using a metric socket right?

I learned the hard way on my 2015 that the correct size is a 21 mm 6pt good quality socket. 7/8 inch is too big . . . especially if the only 7/8" socket you own is a 12 pt. Oops.

The 2015 Mustang was my first car with metric lug nuts "hex" so there was an $ learning curve. I understand that 21 mm is used by other manufacturers also.

Here is the best price I found for oem lug nuts. $10.99 for a 5 pack.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fms-m-1012-m/overview/

The Forgestar wheels I use for autocross tires need small diameter (3/4 inch) lug nuts. I use these: https://www.cjponyparts.com/gorilla-lug-nut-kit-small-diameter-chrome-2015-2019/p/WHLLN16/

I don't use them for the oem wheels due to the smaller contact surface.

I torque both types to 150 lb-ft per Ford specs.

Sponsored

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
Aren't they 13/16" ?

I put Gorilla ones on mine and ditched the OEM ones immediately.
An old well used 13/16" 6 pt sort of worked on my 15 but when you do the conversion math this converts to 20.63 mm. I doubled checked this morning and the above 13/16 was tight on some lug nuts and "OK" on others. All my newer 13/16's were too small. I now own 21 mm standard depth and deep impact sockets which fit properly and don't appear to damage the oem lug nuts.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Gorilla lug nuts are holding up extremely well to many cycles of wheel swapping. 10/10 would torque again.

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
Bought chrome Gorilla lug nuts from CJ Pony. works great!

Dumped the 14 bad lug nuts that my dealer refused to replace under warranty.

CVCashmere

catchthecarp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Platinum Premium GT
I've been wanting to replace the stocker's so just ordered a set of Gorilla's. I rotate my tires on schedule and haven't had any fail yet but it's only a matter of time.

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
I had no idea the dealer was obligated to replace the stock lug nuts under warranty or else I'd not have bought the FOUR BOXES of stockers a few months ago. :mad:
The outer skin of the stockers deforms BIG TIME when you remove them with an impact, even if you use the correct 21mm socket. They deform to the point that you cannot get a 21mm socket on them (without smashing it on there with sledge) and have to go to a 22mm socket, which just further deforms them. The dealer WAS doing my oil change/tire rotation and I had to replace 3-4 nuts every time they serviced my car. I've no idea if they were using the correct 21mm socket but it's the dealer so you would like to think they use the proper tools, right? Sure.....

That pissed me off, but I also did NOT know about the possible torquing problem. That's my life we're talking about. I just ordered these Gorillas from CJs. https://www.cjponyparts.com/gorilla-lug-nut-kit-factory-style-bulge-chrome-2015-2019/p/WHLLN29/

Thank you to those that posted about the torque issues.
Sponsored