Ford's famous 2 piece lug nuts

MustangGrandpa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
I just finished replacing all the cheap factory lug-nuts on my 2018 PP1 GT convertible with chrome Gorilla nuts, and I’m grateful to all the posts on this forum that brought the swelling problem to my attention.

The problem is real and since I am the second owner, I didn’t know what to think when I couldn’t find a socket size that fit correctly. Bad enough that with the PP1 there is no spare tire, now I wasn’t sure if I or anyone else could remove the wheels! Really hard to believe that Ford would use substandard lug-nuts. But my understanding is lots of other manufacturers have also used them.

I found myself in a situation where I couldn’t get the lug-nuts off and had one of them start spinning without coming out. I seriously thought about making an appointment to have them taken off at a Ford dealership. But after reading some forum posts and watching a few videos, I was able to get them off myself.

What worked for me was “tapping” the socket onto the lug-nut with a hammer and also moving between several different sizes of six-point ½ inch sockets depending on how badly the nuts were damaged. Plus, I used a good-sized breaker bar that gave me plenty of torque. Crucial to only use 6-point sockets, because 12-point sockets will just lead to “rounding” and eventually spin without coming out.

Once I did get the lug-nuts to come out, they were stuck in the socket. I had to use a hammer and punch to get them out. A very time-consuming process, and likely not something techs at a tire shop or even most dealerships would take time to do. Not surprising they get forced on and off with impact wrenches which eventually leads to swelling and worse.

I urge everyone who has the suspect factory lug-nuts to replace them as soon as possible. Don’t forget about torquing them correctly too, for my wheels 150 pounds – had to upgrade my torque wrench.

IMG_84.jpg

IMG_56.jpg

IMG_58.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Paul@PKAUTODESIGN

The Wheel guy
Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WWW.PKAutoDesign.com
First Name
Paul A.
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Tech Pack #G5531 Avalanche Grey
Im bringing this back up to state the following.

I have a deep hatred for the OEM lug nuts ! Two times of removing them and they are complete shit period end of story.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Such trash.

Between my several Fords of recent history, their OEM lug nuts have nicely subsidized the scrap bin at work.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
I have 3 Fords with the same lug nuts. Two I've changed. My Edge because it's my tow vehicle and the Mustang because they torque to 150 ft/lbs. I'm not going to change my wife's Fusion because, at this point, I have 35 or so spares...

Nodster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Hi all

I've just landed in this boat. No idea what the past owner did to these lug nuts but I have about 3 on the way out now, one which is pretty chewed up. I just went to the local dealership to ask how much for x20 new lug nuts... £96. I kindly declined.

So reading through these posts it appears that the standard items are rubbish, and I best spend my money elsewhere. :)

I'd just like to check with you all, what is the size of the lug nut required? Am I right in saying M14x1.5 with a 60º conical base. Is there anything else I need to know (size wise) before I go hunting for replacements? What height/length do I need?

My wheels are the Custom Pack 3 forged alloys, powder coated in hyper silver so ideally I need silver replacements - not black.

Febi Bilstein (OEM aftermarket parts) seem to do a lug nut for the Mustang. Not sure if it will be just as rubbish...

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-193540-wheel-nut-febi-bilstein-49205.aspx?VariantID=295669

Or do I just go with Gorilla 91147 bulge acorn and be done with it? Is 1.4" length correct? :rockon:

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/gor-91147?retaillocation=int

Thanks.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Reap

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harald
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mustang 2017 Mustang
Same here, have owned 20+ mustangs and other fords through the years. Not saying I like the lug nuts at all, but when properly used they do their job just fine.
For those hopping on the class action lawsuit......you probably will not win, other makers have been using the two piece lug nuts for as long as I can remember. Lol! So basically its a bunch of bitching because the Chrome piece came off and now they got ugly nuts.........
MY nuts are not UGLY!😁 They are err ... cute.

Nodster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Hi all

I've just landed in this boat. No idea what the past owner did to these lug nuts but I have about 3 on the way out now, one which is pretty chewed up. I just went to the local dealership to ask how much for x20 new lug nuts... £96. I kindly declined.

So reading through these posts it appears that the standard items are rubbish, and I best spend my money elsewhere. :)

I'd just like to check with you all, what is the size of the lug nut required? Am I right in saying M14x1.5 with a 60º conical base. Is there anything else I need to know (size wise) before I go hunting for replacements? What height/length do I need?

My wheels are the Custom Pack 3 forged alloys, powder coated in hyper silver so ideally I need silver replacements - not black.

Febi Bilstein (OEM aftermarket parts) seem to do a lug nut for the Mustang. Not sure if it will be just as rubbish...

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-193540-wheel-nut-febi-bilstein-49205.aspx?VariantID=295669

Or do I just go with Gorilla 91147 bulge acorn and be done with it? Is 1.4" length correct? :rockon:

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/gor-91147?retaillocation=int

Thanks.
Just went with Gorilla 61148CX after seeing them mentioned in another thread. Now to wait 2 weeks or so for the delivery. :yawn:

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Rotate my tires every oil change, no problems with the OEM lug nuts.

It's all about the tool and the hands using them. If they were as bad as folks like to say or think Ford would have changed them.

Just think about 20 lugs X how many cars? Even if all these posts had a full set of lugs, failed 67 X 20 = 1340. This does not speak well or make sense that there is somehow a defect in the OEM lugs.

:rain:

Bear376

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 EB, 2013 Mustang, 2017 F150SC, 2019 Flex
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, OEM lug nuts are cheap. And it is not just Ford that uses the design. For the vast majority of cars, the owners never touch the lug nuts and leave it up to the tire shop. You are sold a perfectly good set of lug nuts and if you or the shop damage them, then it is not the manufacturer's fault.

If you want to gripe about something, think about the fact that unless you order your car from the factory (which they make very difficult to do), you have almost no chance of finding what you want without the navigations system ($800+). Worse, most people do better using their cell phone map system and do not need a subscriptions service for updates.

PC_GUARD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP1
I agree. This lug nut is fine even with impact.

IMO is it over engineered with a sacrificial layer for when it is over torqued.

I'm sure if handled with same delicany as spline nuts and locks (no impact for torqing) will last forever.

Bought one set McGard and one set Gorilla and feel I wasted my money on one set. Need one set of spline for aftermarket wheels though. They don't have any sacrificial layer.
I bought gorilla's to replace whatever junk was put on my car, which were beat to hell. I wouldve gone with Ford Performance Black lugs, if they werent 160 or 180, or whatever. Gorilla it is for $100 and I will get non marring sockets to handle them, and I always torque wrench. I like to use the impact to spin them off when the car is elevated, and spin them on with my Milwaukee 3/8 dr wrench
Sponsored