Sponsored

One piece lug nuts

KevDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2004 F150 FX4
He can do a search, but facts are, the factory lugs nuts are aluminum caps over pot metal lugs... which are truly unsafe from a torque perspective.

For those not familiar with those lugs, some might think they are torquing the lugs to to spec, when in reality, the cap could have AND DOES spin around the pot metal below it... Giving a false torque spec which can cause serious bodily injury and property damage IF a wheel comes loose at speed due to improper torque. Even without a torque wrench, it may seem like the lug was tight, but was never truly tight.

The lug metal under the cap gets corroded due to any type of moisture and worse if in a salt environment. When that happens, the cap swells, comes loose or gets distorted. The cap also will round itself due to turning or spinning on the pot metal below it.... The corrosion is also occurring due to there being (2) different metals, which causes electrolysis and accelerates corrosion (aluminum over pot metal)...same damn shit that happens with the corroding hoods.

For those that do not know - if you insist on keeping the factory lugs, any lug that has become damaged or swollen due to the poor design is replaceable for free by Ford under the 3/36 warranty. I know this as fact, as on my prior 2016 S550, ALL (20) lug nuts were replaced under warranty due to the damaged/swollen caps. I still have the work order with the tech notes.

Whoever came up with that piss poor and unsafe design for a lug nut should be stood up against a wall and continuously pelted with them.

Those factory 2-piece aluminum caps over pot metal lugs are on all 2015-2019 Ford Mustangs. I just filled out the form for the Class Action Suit; I suggest others do it as well.
I just had this happen to me; the cap on the lug nut deformed and then started spinning. I was able to tear off the cap exposing the 'pot metal' nut below. question; what size socket is need to then remove this nut? It seems that the 21mm or 13/16" is a bit sloppy, I have not tried either yet, thought I'd ask first before wrenching....See attached image
Lug Nut.jpg
Sponsored