Jack / Jack Stands ?

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
If anyone is using HF jack stands, please inspect them for evidence of fatigue before it’s too late. I actually have a set, but keep a really close eye on them. I use heavier duty stands to hold my car up though.

Sponsored

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
5. Lift your car starting on one side by lifting using the jacking rail near the center of mass front to back. That's roughly 1/3 to 2/5 down the rail towards the front of the car. Since these cars for the most part from the factory come with disconnected subframes I would NOT put just one jack stand under that side. Put in two at once, and aim for a stable point along the jacking rail - where they bolt to the underside of the car or just fore/aft of it with enough room to get the wheel off, etc. Then do the other side.
I think all your points, with the exception of this, are spot on. I think it's better to lift up either the front or rear of the car first, rather than the left or right side. Lifting up e.g. the front first, by putting a jack stand under the left front side, then right front side, then similarly for the rear, avoids the car tilting very strongly to one side. When the car is tilted so strongly to one side, apart from placing undue pressure on various joints, the balance will also have to shift very strongly when you start jacking up the other, now very low, side. This is more apt to unbalance the jack stands on the other side.

I started doing it this way after I once experienced that the jack stands on the other side, which I had lifted first, were suddenly balancing on only two legs, rather than four.

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I will start leaving the Jack under the jacking rail too. Extra support. But I’m not sure it harms the frame though. I’m trying to wrap my mind around it, half car vs 1/4 being up. I’ve always done it that way.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP Whipple Stage 2
I hate the ramps as well. Just avoid the HF jack stands of death. After the last go-round of oil changes I told my wife I'm getting the Quick-Jack. Probably later this summer, we'll see.
I bought the Quik Jack 7000 and I love them. Safe, fast up and down. No leaks, great fittings.

Sponsored

lowatts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
I will start leaving the Jack under the jacking rail too. Extra support. But I’m not sure it harms the frame though. I’m trying to wrap my mind around it, half car vs 1/4 being up. I’ve always done it that way.
In your picture, both wheels are off the ground though, so half car is up, but the force that is pushing the the entire half is concentrated at the passenger rear corner. That puts a twisting force on the chassis. It can probably take it without taking on a permanent twist, but why risk it, besides the part about risk of jack stand failure. If you jack it near the balance point of the chassis (a lot closer to the front if you have a jacking rail, probably a foot or so from the front door hinge, it won't put a twisting force on chassis.

MDM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
M3, F350

Grayden4

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Grayden
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang Cobra, 2009 Mustang GT/CS, 2011 F350, 2019 Mustang GT PPL2
I have four of these:
Jack Stand.jpg

and built four ramps out of pressure treated 2x4s. Just back the car up on the ramps. Then jack up a front corner with the top of one of the jackstands on the floorjack, repin the jackstand and slide the rear jackstand in place, and slowly release the floorjack. Repeat for the other side.

IMG_1708.JPG

This method can be used with the pinch weld jacking points or with jacking rails.

-Grayden

Sponsored

Phoneman1223

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
There’s a quick Jack brand new in boxes sitting in a box in garage never opened in my gf’s grandpas house

Guess they’ve been there like 5 years never opened. I’ve been debating on offering but she said he’s a hoarder and will never sell anything
Damn Hoarders

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
Costco and its steel.
Caterpillar doesn't make much from aluminum and they call anything less than 1" thick "sheet metal". ;)

Doug V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Anyone want to chime in with Jack / Jack Stand recommendations? I had to sell mine a couple of moves ago - and now it’s time to rebuy. I’m planning on going with 4 jack stands - ramps have never been all that natural to me (but I’m interested if you have a strong preference on that too).

Thanks!
What ever you get, look into getting jacking rails. Steeda makes is one company. You can jack up a side at a time. without any pinch weld damage.

hws52

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Get yourself a set of jacking rails, I got mine from BMR, they mount inside of the pinch welds. Then you can place a jack/jackstand anywhere along the rail instead of the two points on the pinch rails.

petronix

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
1972 Vette, 2013 Cadillac ATS 2.0T, 2000 Miata, 2017 Escape
Jacking rails ++
Quickjack +++!!!
I would never get under a car with only one jack stand. Bad for car and potentially really bad for you.
Sponsored