Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Well, it goes like this:

I've always driven with a healthy dose of . . . well, let's call it 'sports-car enthusiasm' and leave it at that.

The Dodge was a hand-me-down car from my parents, who'd given me pretty much unlimited use of it while I was in school and dating. Its failure was a broken low-reverse band (a common failure for those transmissions), which cost me the use of reverse (the car remained fully drivable going forward). Apartment complex parking lot tranny swap. I even did a little suspension tuning on the Dodge and treated it to much better rubber than it came with originally.

I did one clutch job on the Pinto when I built up its 2.0L engine, mainly because everything was apart. And the other as part of a four to V6 powertrain swap. FWIW, the Pinto was a sport-sedan project car from the get-go.
Pinto3.jpg

The Malibu was another car with project intentions. Turned out, the OE Saginaw wasn't a strong enough transmission for the 350 I swapped in, and the T-10 that replaced it wasn't what I wanted when I went to a stouter build on a different 350 and wanted an overdrive gear (because of 3.73 gears). Along the way, my son managed to kill one of the 350s (dropped a valve and hydraulic'ed a couple of cylinders).
Ouch edited for web.jpg

85CP at Ripken with meaningless cone.JPG

Near as I can figure, either the bellhousing or the rear face of the block on the 1987 Maxima wasn't drilled accurately enough. About every 50,000 miles the input shaft bearing would disassemble itself. Nissan did the first repair, but after getting past the shock of their pricing I did the next two - combined - for less money. Other than that it was a fun car to drive, and big enough for the family. Like the Pinto and the Chevy, we got about 175,000 miles out of it.

Sorry for the long off-topic, but to (try to) drag it back I never used more than a floor jack and jackstands for any of those jobs. I used to be able to bench-press the trannys back in, but those days are two decades and change in the past. I did get a real tranny jack for an eventual Magnum XL swap into the Mustang. That in itself might call for a little extra lift height, but I'll figure out a way to deal with it somehow if it does.

Norm
I hope you have kids, grandkids, nieces or nephews or at least a neighborhood kid to pass your knowledge and tools on to. Would be a terrible shame to lose it.
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
My son used to do quite a bit of his own car work, mostly back when he was into '70-ish Chevelles. Some things took - he does a fair amount of his own wrenching on his current "daily driver" (a W900 Kenworth). His oldest daughter seems to have picked up a bit as well - way more than most of the kids in her age group (early 20's, and she just shakes her head at the levels of ignorance, and you have to know this girl to really get the full meaning).

Every so often I end up having to help my son-in-law out of some minor jam, and he used to be a shop tech in the independent repair business.

Norm