quikcolin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP2
Hey guys,

I just installed Steeda jacking rails and my standard jack stands aren't going to work. After some research the ESCO low profile jack stands look like the best option. But I can't find them in Canada. Curious if anyone in Canada knows where I could hunt 4 of these down? Amazon has the standard height, they're $83 each ($450 for 4 jack stands seems a little wild to me?).

https://esco.net/product/esco-3-ton-performance-shorty-style-jack-stand/

OR is there a safe and legit product that can turn my "u shaped" jack stands into a flat top, that isn't sketchy and looks like the car is going to fall on top of me?
Sponsored

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
I have U shaped jack stands and I use slotted hockey pucks for the tops. I cut the slots on a CNC machine but you could cut them on a table saw. They hockey pucks are a bit soft and after many uses they develop cracks. Throw them out and make more.

There are also caps for these on Amazon but I can't say they would fit every possible jack stand and I have not tried them. Jack Covers

Another thing you can do is make wheel cribs from 2x4's. Jack up the car using the jacking rails and slide a crib under each wheel. This only works if you are not removing the wheels.

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
I have the Steeda rails as well. I use a set of Canadian Tire jack stands - not the cheapest ones there - and the rails fit perfectly in the u-channel. I can't remember the model of them though. That was a concern I had as well initially as my old stands the u was narrow and I didn't feel safe with a small contact area. I went specifically looking for stands with a wide channel and these fit perfect. Princess Auto may have some as well.

I also made some ramps with 2x10 lumber that I can drive onto for doing oil changes etc for when I don't need to remove the wheels. Easy to make. Solid. I used my wife's favorite rubber backed bath mats for the underside so there's no slip driving onto them.

Good luck!

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
Hey guys,

I just installed Steeda jacking rails and my standard jack stands aren't going to work. After some research the ESCO low profile jack stands look like the best option. But I can't find them in Canada. Curious if anyone in Canada knows where I could hunt 4 of these down? Amazon has the standard height, they're $83 each ($450 for 4 jack stands seems a little wild to me?).

https://esco.net/product/esco-3-ton-performance-shorty-style-jack-stand/

OR is there a safe and legit product that can turn my "u shaped" jack stands into a flat top, that isn't sketchy and looks like the car is going to fall on top of me?
Why do your u-shaped tops not work? Is the 'u' too narrow? I have two different sets of jack stands, both u-shaped, and don't see any problems related to the u-shape when using them.

I also use the hockey type pucks StangTime mentions on top of the jack stands most of the time, but that's mostly to reduce scratches.

OP
OP
quikcolin

quikcolin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP2
Thanks guys!

I too have 4 of the Canadian Tire 3 ton jack stands, and the U shape top does encompass the entirety of the Steeda jacking rail, but it fit over the pinch weld as well, which causes it to want to bend the pinch rail towards the jacking rail (as there is a small gap between the rail and the pinch rail).

Sponsored

OP
OP
quikcolin

quikcolin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP2
I have U shaped jack stands and I use slotted hockey pucks for the tops. I cut the slots on a CNC machine but you could cut them on a table saw. They hockey pucks are a bit soft and after many uses they develop cracks. Throw them out and make more.

There are also caps for these on Amazon but I can't say they would fit every possible jack stand and I have not tried them. Jack Covers

Another thing you can do is make wheel cribs from 2x4's. Jack up the car using the jacking rails and slide a crib under each wheel. This only works if you are not removing the wheels.
I have two of those jack covers, they just make me a little nervous like they could pop off of the car if torquing a bolt .... maybe I'm crazy? The hockey puck idea is a good one! They wouldn't sit as high on the U jack and less likely to pop off

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
I too have 4 of the Canadian Tire 3 ton jack stands, and the U shape top does encompass the entirety of the Steeda jacking rail, but it fit over the pinch weld as well, which causes it to want to bend the pinch rail towards the jacking rail (as there is a small gap between the rail and the pinch rail).

If you worry about the pinch weld bending, I'm thinking that before the jacking rails, most of the weight was resting on the pinch weld, and if it was going to bend, it might just as well have bent then. With the jacking rails, the weight will be mostly on the jacking rails, so if anything, it decreases the chance of the pinch weld bending. And with 500 kg pushing down on any jacking cover or puck, either the jacking cover will slip of immediately as you lower the car, or it will not move later.

So I don't think jacking rails add any problems when using regular jack stands (i.e, u-shaped or flat). They do probably make it a bit more risky to use the regular car scissor jack, which has that grove to fit the pinch weld in, but I'm thinking with just a bit of extra care, that will be ok too for changing tires if I get a flat somewhere.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
I've got ancient jack stands. I don't know their rating but I've used them for holding up commercial trucks with no issue, they're super strong and stable. They have either V or U tops depending on the set. I use them often with my jacking rails with no problems or damage. The thing is I usually only use them with the rails as jack back-up when I need to remove the wheels. I find that if I have to work under the car the stands under the rails are inconvenient. If I'm going to be under the car I will place the stands somewhere solid under the car. This allows me more room for movement that using the rails tends to block.