Is the 5.0 designed for boost?

JK XLR8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JK
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Roushcharged
Full powertrain warranty 3/36 from Ford on Phase 2 750hp motor.....bought it brand new from Lebanon Ford.....great combo.
Sponsored

MKL_DS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1
I donā€™t know. I have a 2018 with 720 wheel and MT82 no issues. Along with a bunch of other people who have no issues with the same car and boost and many with more power to the wheels than mine. Might wanna own one before you say matter of factly what something can or canā€™t handle.
MT-82 shouldn't be rated by how much HP it made on a dyno, but by what sort of ET it puts down regularly.
No offense to anyone, but if you rarely if ever bang through 1-4 gears at WOT with your 800 HP MT-82, it should live forever....
If your races consist of shifting from 3rd to 4th on a roll....its a far cry from the abuse it will take when making a solid 1/4 mile pass. It will always be more about how its driven then the power it makes with a manual.

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
MT-82 shouldn't be rated by how much HP it made on a dyno, but by what sort of ET it puts down regularly.
No offense to anyone, but if you rarely if ever bang through 1-4 gears at WOT with your 800 HP MT-82, it should live forever....
If your races consist of shifting from 3rd to 4th on a roll....its a far cry from the abuse it will take when making a solid 1/4 mile pass. It will always be more about how its driven then the power it makes with a manual.
I have a friend with a 2011 manual GT making 620-650WHP. Still on stock trans and clutch. Never races it, just likes to do a few rolling pulls here and there. Then puts it away for most of the year.

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
I have a friend with a 2011 manual GT making 620-650WHP. Still on stock trans and clutch. Never races it, just likes to do a few rolling pulls here and there. Then puts it away for most of the year.
most people can't drive and by that i mean they don't know how to feel out machines. there's a certain art to knowing when to do what and anyone coming from older cars knows this. compared to my old T45 in the cobra these new transmissions are AMAZING. 450hp from the factory? brembos? gears? i'm happy. 12's with a factory warranty is more than enough for me :D

in reading about the gen 3 302's i was pretty shocked at how much ford improved.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
We're getting off topic on the transmission but here's my $.02.

Firstly, mustang owners are curiously self serving. From the various trim levels (PP1, PP2, Shelby, Mach1) etc, you rarely find owners who don't get their feelings hurt when someone makes assertions about value or usefulness or costs.

It plays out to the Nth degree in discussions about the transmissions. Guys who own an MT82 will swear by it and defend it to no end. Furthermore, it gets worse, because those same MT owners are convinced that they're the only ones in the world who can drive a manual.

THe MT82 is garbage. It really is. It's an inferior design to the tremec offerings and worse yet, the quality control and consistency from unit to unit swings wildly. I have friends who've driven manuals all their lives and had NOTHING but problems (at stock and N/A power levels). I also know guys in the car groups who are young and brand new to manuals who can beat on their trans like a rented mule or have boosted power and haven't had issues.

THAT is the nature of bad quality control. TO say "you just don't know how to drive" is as dumb and self serving as saying "The reason your A/C compressor/evaporator went out is because you just don't know how to operate the A/C knob" or "Anyone who has corrosion pockets in their paint just doesn't know how to wash their car."

Operation and skill with a manual gets a vote, but the problems with the MT82 are so incredibly common and widespread that it's not just bad drivers. It's a bad product. It's hit or miss.

Compare and contrast the issues with the MT to the tremecs and are we now supposed to believe that Shelby owners and Mach1 owners are just superior drivers? No. The tremec products are not only better designed, but the quality and consistency is much better.

We're digressing away from the discussion about the power plant but make no mistake, the MT82 is NOT a good product. Shame on Ford for renewing their contract with Getrag.

The Tremecs (from the factory) have better components (from shift forks to synchros to gears to shafts) and they're put together with much better consistency. It's literally what spawned the business of Ben Calimer.

You could add up all the issues and claims of the 6R80, the 10R80, the 3160 and the 6060 and it wouldn't even come close to the number of issues of the MT82. It's a daily occurrence in the FB forums and virtually every other mustang forums about issues from lockout to failures. We don't see a tiny fraction of that with the tremec products.

Sponsored

Kennysum1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Alfa Romeo Quadraflio, 2018 TT GT Prem, 22 GT
Agreed. We have a half dozen Gen2/3's from our local shop making 980-1250 on stock rods. We actually haven't seen a stock rod failure in yet in years.
Ran a 1000 HP twin turboed Gen 3 for almost a full year before the oil pump gears failed on me.

I drag raced it and got groceries. The block and all other parts handled it fine. But the OPGs are a known weak point.

I just was being cheap and decided to run it until it went then put an actual built short block in it. That was the plan either way so why not use the stock one for as long as possible.

I was running about 14 to 15 pounds. After that the stock valves would start to float. All of that has been rectified now though with a RPG short block and upgraded top end. Plus obviously the OPGs lol

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
We're getting off topic on the transmission but here's my $.02.

Firstly, mustang owners are curiously self serving. From the various trim levels (PP1, PP2, Shelby, Mach1) etc, you rarely find owners who don't get their feelings hurt when someone makes assertions about value or usefulness or costs.

It plays out to the Nth degree in discussions about the transmissions. Guys who own an MT82 will swear by it and defend it to no end. Furthermore, it gets worse, because those same MT owners are convinced that they're the only ones in the world who can drive a manual.

THe MT82 is garbage. It really is. It's an inferior design to the tremec offerings and worse yet, the quality control and consistency from unit to unit swings wildly. I have friends who've driven manuals all their lives and had NOTHING but problems (at stock and N/A power levels). I also know guys in the car groups who are young and brand new to manuals who can beat on their trans like a rented mule or have boosted power and haven't had issues.

THAT is the nature of bad quality control. TO say "you just don't know how to drive" is as dumb and self serving as saying "The reason your A/C compressor/evaporator went out is because you just don't know how to operate the A/C knob" or "Anyone who has corrosion pockets in their paint just doesn't know how to wash their car."

Operation and skill with a manual gets a vote, but the problems with the MT82 are so incredibly common and widespread that it's not just bad drivers. It's a bad product. It's hit or miss.

Compare and contrast the issues with the MT to the tremecs and are we now supposed to believe that Shelby owners and Mach1 owners are just superior drivers? No. The tremec products are not only better designed, but the quality and consistency is much better.

We're digressing away from the discussion about the power plant but make no mistake, the MT82 is NOT a good product. Shame on Ford for renewing their contract with Getrag.

The Tremecs (from the factory) have better components (from shift forks to synchros to gears to shafts) and they're put together with much better consistency. It's literally what spawned the business of Ben Calimer.

You could add up all the issues and claims of the 6R80, the 10R80, the 3160 and the 6060 and it wouldn't even come close to the number of issues of the MT82. It's a daily occurrence in the FB forums and virtually every other mustang forums about issues from lockout to failures. We don't see a tiny fraction of that with the tremec products.
I feel like you're confusing people who defend the MT-82 as being a flawless product (of which there are very few people), and those who are reporting they don't have issues with their unit. I tell people all the time that the QC is the biggest issue of the MT-82. Mine has been a great experience, but some people get locked out of shifting after 6000RPM. Part of me thinks that the assembly of the car and the body mounted shifter have more to do with the issues than bad units or people who can't shift (especially on the newer units), but that's just my opinion. Outright failures aren't that common anymore.

Nobody is confused about the fact the Tremec is better. I so wish that we got a TR6060 like the Camaro and Challenger get. The 3160 is better, but it's still a bit lacking. BUT, what's important is that an MT-82 that functions correctly is actually pretty enjoyable to use. You may disagree, but I've used a lot of manuals, and this one is pretty satisfying in comparison to a lot of them. There are better, but there's certainly worse as well.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I feel like you're confusing people who defend the MT-82 as being a flawless product (of which there are very few people), and those who are reporting they don't have issues with their unit. I tell people all the time that the QC is the biggest issue of the MT-82. Mine has been a great experience, but some people get locked out of shifting after 6000RPM. Part of me thinks that the assembly of the car and the body mounted shifter have more to do with the issues than bad units or people who can't shift (especially on the newer units), but that's just my opinion. Outright failures aren't that common anymore.

Nobody is confused about the fact the Tremec is better. I so wish that we got a TR6060 like the Camaro and Challenger get. The 3160 is better, but it's still a bit lacking. BUT, what's important is that an MT-82 that functions correctly is actually pretty enjoyable to use. You may disagree, but I've used a lot of manuals, and this one is pretty satisfying in comparison to a lot of them. There are better, but there's certainly worse as well.
My point is, it's internet myth that the MT82 is fine and most failures are NDMF's. The truth is, most MT issues are bad product consistency and just a plain bad design. I could go through all the design differences between the 6060/3160 and the MT, but I shouldn't have to. The outcomes are obvious. Are GT350 and previous gen 500 owners just superior manual drivers? No. It's just a better unit. Failures and issues on the 3160 or the 6060 are very rare.

Mustang forums are loaded with douchebags who post the typical "you can't drive" every time someone reports a failure or defect. The responses are as common and predictable as the MT issues themselves.

SOME of the MT issues can be attributed to inexperienced or abusive operation. But the problem is OBVIOUSLY way bigger than that, especially when you consider people who previously have owned/driven many manual transmissions. The nature of the problem is also indicative in that some guys have NOTHING but issues while others seem to be okay.

Many (I'll even be so bold as to say MOST) guys who owns an MT82 and doesn't have an issue harbor this self serving idea that the reason they don't have an issue is because they're just a better driver. Until it happens to them.

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Well, I have an MT82 car right now, the 2018 version, with stock shifter. I HAD a 2009 GT500 with a TR6060. I am 52 years old and have been driving a manual since my first truck a 2wd Datsun 5 speed. I missed more 1-2 shifts the first six months of owning the GT500 than if you total led all the other cars/trucks up I have ever driven. It had a Barton shifter on it when I got it, and I replaced it with an MGW unit and a blowfish transmission brace. The problem wasn't the unit, it was the remote shifter. I have owned my MT82 car for 13 months and put 26k miles on it. I know it's a remote shifter as well, but in comparison to the TR6060, it is buttery smooth. I HATED that TR6060 with a passion.

There a big difference between the 656rwhp and the maybe 400rwhp I am running right now, but the other thing to think about may be the 2018+ MT 82 has a twin disc, dual weighted set-up like the GT500, and the 2017 and earlier ones are single disc, single weighted units, which probably makes a bit of a difference too.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Well, I have an MT82 car right now, the 2018 version, with stock shifter. I HAD a 2009 GT500 with a TR6060. I am 52 years old and have been driving a manual since my first truck a 2wd Datsun 5 speed. I missed more 1-2 shifts the first six months of owning the GT500 than if you total led all the other cars/trucks up I have ever driven. It had a Barton shifter on it when I got it, and I replaced it with an MGW unit and a blowfish transmission brace. The problem wasn't the unit, it was the remote shifter. I have owned my MT82 car for 13 months and put 26k miles on it. I know it's a remote shifter as well, but in comparison to the TR6060, it is buttery smooth. I HATED that TR6060 with a passion.

There a big difference between the 656rwhp and the maybe 400rwhp I am running right now, but the other thing to think about may be the 2018+ MT 82 has a twin disc, dual weighted set-up like the GT500, and the 2017 and earlier ones are single disc, single weighted units, which probably makes a bit of a difference too.
These are anecdotal but community wide I'd say (from what I've personally seen) you're exceptional.

I've owned 3 mustangs with manual transmissions (this last one with 2 different tremecs). My first T45 took 550 hp on stock everything like a champ. Then I had a T5, and then the 3160 and now the magnum. I only ditched the 3160 because I knew it wasn't going to hold up to almost 900 ft-lbs of torque and virtually no one upgrades them. If I could have found someone to upgrade it, I would have. The 3160 at 500+ rwhp was phenomenal, for over 25k miles of HARD HARD driving even with the stock twin disc. The ONLY issue I ever had was a redline shift into 5th gear and the clutch slipped a little and basically told me that was the limit of what it could handle.

I don't think it's controversial to say that across the forums and car pages, the Tremecs have MUCH MUCH less posted issues. Go yourself. Go look in the GT350 forums here or the Mach1 forums here. Go to stick shift coyotes and see the constant CONSTANT posts about MT82 issues, questions how to resolve something, questions about what to replace it with (now that it's smoked something) etc, etc. Go to track mustangs online and do a simple search, there's little love for stock MT82's in the community that's been manual trans dominated for decades (now the DCT enters the picture).

In fact, I'd have to search REALLY REALLY hard for the last "I smoked my 6060 or 3160 or Magnum" thread in ANY of the groups I'm in. (including blown cars, full on N/A cars, etc). It's almost a daily occurrence with the MT's.

And the responses are so tiring and predictable. "You can't drive bro, I've had my MT on blah blah blah."

It's like a lottery winner saying "you just don't know how to pick a ticket bro"

Some people have no problems. Some people have nothing but problems. An honest look at it and you start to realize it's bad quality control and that's the nature of hit or miss defects and failures. 2 of my car group buddies have nuked MT's (one of them twice). One ditched his shit for an auto and the other just received his Magnum because he's had nothing but problems with his MT82. Both of them have owned tremec manuals in the past and no issues and both are VERY familiar and skilled on how to operate a manual. That tells me that it's less about abuse and driving style and more about luck of the draw.

Sponsored

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I am not disagreeing with you, but go to the s197 GT500 forums and see how many people have issues with that TR6060 especially the 1-2 shift. It's a very well known issue with the car. The 5.4/5.8 boosted modular cars have soooo much torque that the alignment of the remote shifter suffers at high rpm and high torque moments throughout the acceleration of the car. I had an issue with it locking out of 6th gear at 130mph too.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I owned a couple different MT82 Mustangs pre-2015. That version of the MT-82 had some issues with shifting and the shifter itself had problems on one of those cars. I've also owned 2015 and 2017 MT82 Mustangs. The MT-82 in those later cars is superb.

I went from dailying a 2015 GT to a 2016 GT350 that I bought new. The MT82 shifted a lot better when it was cold. The Tremec did get smoother over time and when it was hot it worked great. But the throws are a little longer and the feel isn't quite as good IMO. The Tremec also requires a slightly more deliberate shift.

Bottom line: I slightly prefer the 2015-2017 MT-82 over the Tremec in the GT350 and Mach 1 (assuming they are the same). I'm saying it this way because I know that in 2018 Ford changed the MT-82 again and now I don't think it's as good anymore.

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 Honda Fit Sport
in reading about the gen 3 302's i was pretty shocked at how much ford improved.
Not that it's a big deal but the gen 3 is not a 302 but rather a 307 cid engine. The bore increased a smidgen from the gen 2 which was a 302.

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I think I have dementia, I need to go back and check the title. I thought I was reading a thread on boosting Coyotes.šŸ„“
Funny how conversations can evolve...
Sponsored