Sponsored

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Wow, the gen 2 doesn't look like that.

1659923450352.png
Still has the elongated channel on the valley side of the cylinders which is where quite a few cracks were noticed. Which is why you see the center casting in the Gen3 coyote and the 5.2gen3. Also, the biggest liability with the gen II was the head bolts, which were not only less diameter, but don't penetrate as far into the block. GenII can handle a good bit of power, but is prone to lifting heads after a certain amount of boost is applied. Can be mitigated with some of the better gaskets now or even better, rimming the top and machining the heads to receive a mated joint.

Sponsored

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
To answer the original question. The 5.0L is not designed to be boosted but of course it can handle boost. Like a lot of other engines on the road. Every engine that does not come with boost from the factory is not designed to run boost.

The reason why the 5.0L V8 doesn't have turbo(s) from factory is because they are not needed to meet the performance needs or emission regulations. Plus it would cost more to make.

The reason a lot of cars have downsized with turbos is to meet world wide emission/fuel economy regulations. Otherwise most companies would just run larger naturally aspirated engines. They are easier to make, less complex, and much easier to control heat.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
To answer the original question. The 5.0L is not designed to be boosted but of course it can handle boost. Like a lot of other engines on the road. Every engine that does not come with boost from the factory is not designed to run boost.

The reason why the 5.0L V8 doesn't have turbo(s) from factory is because they are not needed to meet the performance needs or emission regulations. Plus it would cost more to make.

The reason a lot of cars have downsized with turbos is to meet world wide emission/fuel economy regulations. Otherwise most companies would just run larger naturally aspirated engines. They are easier to make, less complex, and much easier to control heat.

These first two paragraphs are basically what I was going to say. My next post contains more details/ additional thoughts.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Every supercharged muscle car engine that goes from the naturally aspirated version to the supercharged version has many, many upgrades to it to make it stronger and more reliable because the manufacturer has to warranty that engine, and they have a reputation to maintain, and they don't want to build an engine that's known to break after the warranty period is over. This includes going from the Coyote to the Predator, or GM's LT1 to LT4, and 6.4L SRT to the 6.2 Hellcat. Heck, even the Hellcat Redeye engine has significant upgrades over the already stout "regular" Hellcat, and it's only an 80 hp increase (717 hp to 797 hp).

During development, Ford and GM for sure, I would guess Dodge but I'm not sure, put their engines through torture tests. They do crazy things like run the engine at wide open throttle at peak power output for 10 minutes, then shut it off and run ice water through the jackets, then turn it back on and go straight to wide open throttle at peak power output. It has to not only survive those sort of torture tests, but be flawless after the engine is taken apart and inspected. No wear marks, no micro cracks, etc.

Many people run boosted Coyotes without problems, but some run into problems. I can all but guarantee an 800 hp boosted Coyote wouldn't survive the factory torture tests. I know for a fact that despite many LT1s making 700+ rwhp, GM upgraded the crankshaft on the 650 hp LT4 because the LT1 crank would break at LT4 power levels, much less higher power levels. Heck, there's even things like windage differences between the LT1 and LT4. The LT4 heads are a different material and rotocast, while the regular LT1 heads are not. All to make it more reliable under boost. And the LT4 is only 9.4 psi. There's many other things people don't even think of that are improved on a factory supercharged engine over its NA version.

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Ford Performance does. But yes it does come with warranty. Now if you flash it with an e85 or other aftermarket tune it may be all bets off. But really who needs more than 650hp and a 3yr warranty for 10 grand?

But normally a boosted application should run compression in the 8 or 9s and have much stronger rods.
the rods are overkill for the horsepower it is designed for.

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Agreed. We have a half dozen Gen2/3's from our local shop making 980-1250 on stock rods. We actually haven't seen a stock rod failure in yet in years.

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I don't think they are, the reason (in my opinion) the stock coyote tends to pair so well with boost is because of a combination of the V angle, the bore spacing, the stroke length and the high RPM limit. They overbuilt the rotating assembly to put up with the relatively high angular accel/decel from that specific geometry (since they're stuck with the mod motor bore spacing since forever because the tooling is paid for). These engines also make quite a lot of torque per stroke given the displacement and being naturally aspirated. The BMEP is up there with some exotics. Another reason to have some extra meat in the design. Of course that high level of efficiency is kind of a bad thing when you're adding forced induction, if your mixtures or heat get out of control it's easy to melt a piston or blow up a ringland and I feel like that's the majority of failures we see on here with stock motors. The factory supercharged engines don't have to worry about that because they have the CR turned way down.

With all that said, I could be completely off the mark. It's been a while since I read up on these engines specifics, but it always seemed like some aspects were compromises so that Ford didn't have to spend money on new tooling.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I don't think they are, the reason (in my opinion) the stock coyote tends to pair so well with boost is because of a combination of the V angle, the bore spacing, the stroke length and the high RPM limit. They overbuilt the rotating assembly to put up with the relatively high angular accel/decel from that specific geometry (since they're stuck with the mod motor bore spacing since forever because the tooling is paid for). These engines also make quite a lot of torque per stroke given the displacement and being naturally aspirated. The BMEP is up there with some exotics. Another reason to have some extra meat in the design. Of course that high level of efficiency is kind of a bad thing when you're adding forced induction, if your mixtures or heat get out of control it's easy to melt a piston or blow up a ringland and I feel like that's the majority of failures we see on here with stock motors. The factory supercharged engines don't have to worry about that because they have the CR turned way down.

With all that said, I could be completely off the mark. It's been a while since I read up on these engines specifics, but it always seemed like some aspects were compromises so that Ford didn't have to spend money on new tooling.
Don't forget very good cylinder heads and the VCT. There's a reason why these things make volumetric efficiency numbers well over 100, stock.

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
The cylinder heads are simply outstanding. Even the stock Gen 3 cams are awesome in the lift and duration numbers.

_zOmbIE_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Badlands, 22 GT Prem PP
I don’t know. I have a 2018 with 720 wheel and MT82 no issues. Along with a bunch of other people who have no issues with the same car and boost and many with more power to the wheels than mine. Might wanna own one before you say matter of factly what something can or can’t handle.
Ignore the folks who think the 10 speed auto is somehow a superior transmission (they're both engineered to a price-tag IMO, and in this case, the price tag is identical... at least on our end)
Sponsored