Sponsored

Is the 5.0 designed for boost?

james cole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon S550 Owner
If so, why doesn't ford boost it from factory?

Thanks
JC
Sponsored

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
The predator was built for boost. The ecoboost was built for boost. Go and find all the differences between those motors and the coyote and there lies the answer. I have stock predator and gen3 5.0 short blocks in my shop now, side by side.

pittzy23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
ford will throw on a TVS blower under warranty if you want to pay a premium. So yes, you can safely put boost to it. why not from factory? probably cost. Plus they already have a boosted mustang in the lineup

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Ford Performance does. But yes it does come with warranty. Now if you flash it with an e85 or other aftermarket tune it may be all bets off. But really who needs more than 650hp and a 3yr warranty for 10 grand?

But normally a boosted application should run compression in the 8 or 9s and have much stronger rods (edit) than would normally be found in a NA engine.

Last edited:

Veteran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT white
“How many miles of x psi of boost will the 5.0 handle.”
perhaps above is what op should ask ?

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
Ford Performance does. But yes it does come with warranty. Now if you flash it with an e85 or other aftermarket tune it may be all bets off. But really who needs more than 650hp and a 3yr warranty for 10 grand?

But normally a boosted application should run compression in the 8 or 9s and have much stronger rods.
compression isn't a problem these days. i see it like this, you can have a cast everything motor make lots of power in a very controlled environment. you can get all the way to the point where something will break, back off a smidge, and there ya go. that's your number.

problem is, that's not the real world. you start beating on these things, doing hundreds if pulls in all kinds of conditions, or maybe that 93 octane you got wasn't quite 93 octane, well if that tune is on the ragged edge the computer might not catch detonation in time and blammo.

if you can make the power you want with the stock guts all you get from better guts is durability for the nearly infinite scenarios where conditons might be perfect for a the first domino of a catastrophe.

Sponsored
OP
OP

james cole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon S550 Owner
The predator was built for boost. The ecoboost was built for boost. Go and find all the differences between those motors and the coyote and there lies the answer. I have stock predator and gen3 5.0 short blocks in my shop now, side by side.
Care to elaborate the differences?

Wonder if the Mach 1 is "more" desgined for boost... It has all the suspension pieces + extra cooling + Tremec.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Not remotely. They didn't address the known problems with block cooling or oil cooling. Or water cooling either

bankyf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP1

But normally a boosted application should run compression in the 8 or 9s and have much stronger rods.
You sure? It was my understanding that Roush assumed the warranty through an agreement with Ford.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Pretty sure last time I looked at the FP offering the warranty was with them and not Rousch even though the product is identical and has rousch badging. But I could be wrong...

OP
OP

james cole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon S550 Owner
By the way...

How are you guys liking your boosted setup?

Does the car drive like it came from the factory boosted, or are there several hiccups here and there?
Sponsored