Help! Buying a PP2

Discussion in 'Mustang S550 General Forums' started by kart3l, Oct 6, 2019.

1. saleen367

saleen367 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 PP2 Kona Blue 2015 Focus Titanium
    0   0   0
    Keep a couple things in mind before buying.

1. Its fall and winter climate dealers are wanting to move these out of inventory. That being said, they don't want a mustang in trade either. But will the incentives (rebates) be better or worse in the spring? Maybe interest rates will go up or down. Like someone else said, there are quite a few PP2 on cars.com or similar. If you're willing to drive and be patient, you may get a better deal.

2. Winter tires need to be thought about in a completely different mindset than a summer or a daily A/S. You're looking for snow/ice traction and the ability to rotate. A square setup in the narrowest possible configuration is what you need (maybe not what you want). Wider is NOT better, keep that in mind. Also, you'll likely want to part ways with the stock Cup2's next spring, so you'll be on the hook for another major tire purchase before summer.

kart3l and mustang5o like this.
  2. DeltaMobile

DeltaMobile Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 Mustang GT PP2
    0   0   0
    Welcome to the PP2 club!!!

3. Grintch

Grintch Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2015 GT PP
    0   0   0

I never say this, narrower is better (for snow tires) . Taller is also better, so I would avoid 30 series tires.

Go square to get better tire life, but I definitely wouldn't run 11" wheels for snow tires. Maybe look at the OE Wheels LLC wheels. They are cheap and good looking. A little too heavy for track wheels (where the SVE's are a good choice), but fine for winter/snow use.

4. mustang5o

mustang5o Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2019 Kona Blue 301A, PP2, Active Exhaust, Recaro's
    0   0   0
    Hmm, I wonder if any of those 18x9's will clear the brakes? Otherwise the 19x8.5 PP1 replica might be a good choice from them.

5. mustang5o

mustang5o Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2019 Kona Blue 301A, PP2, Active Exhaust, Recaro's
    0   0   0
    The notes say they won't but so do the notes on the 19x10 PP1 wheels.

6. DeltaMobile

DeltaMobile Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 Mustang GT PP2
    0   0   0
    I have PP1 wheels that I put on in the winter and it works great for me.

TPinBC likes this.
  7. Fly2High

Fly2High Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Frank
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Mustang GT PP2
    0   0   0
    Just curious, what tires do Escalades, Titans and all the other oversized SUV trucks( and yes all SUVs in the eyes of states driving institutions classify hem as light TRUCKS) use in the winter? I presume their ridiculous weight is what allows them to get away with the wider tires.

8. Bluezeke

Bluezeke Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Zeke
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 GT PP2
    0   0   0
    Did you consider all season tires? I am in the mid Atlantic too, and yes we get a little snow. Not sure if you need to go full fledged snow tire. It is up to you. For me, for my pp2 I found Cooper Zeon as3 all seasons in the 305 30 19.

9. shogun32

shogun32 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 GT+PP, EB+PP, SS+1LE, GTI Rabbit
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    DC hardly gets what could be mistaken for snow so winter tires seems a bit overkill. But in any event get some 9" rims. 8.5" are far more common and somewhat cheaper but unless you're sure never to use the rims for anything but 'winter' the 9 is far more versatile. Have you considered just scoring a set of EB+PP takeoffs? They are 9" and look rather similar to the SVE rims you seem enamored with.

If 43237 is the OTR price (everything included) then sure, that's a reasonable price. But personally I'd offer at least another 1500 lower. It's the end of the season and Koons has 5 of them on the lot for going on 60 days. Koons Baltimore also has 5. This is the time to screw the dealer hard. He's going to be approaching desperation.

I might give K5204505 a look-see and offer 40.5K OTR. It's almost a PP2.

kart3l and MeLurkYouLongTime like this.
  10. OP
    OP
    kart3l

kart3l Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    15'Mustang Ecoboost PP
    0   0   0
    Here she is...... :)

I am ordering the 275/35/R19 Blizzak's shortly LOL

Putting everything aside, 2 things have killed my excitement pretty shortly.

1.) There is a noticeable whining (like a bad wheel bearing/differential) at 70-72MPH. Super annoying. I am bringing it in tomorrow.

2.) Even though the alignment is straight, the steering wheel is looking to the right slightly..

IMG-6067.JPG IMG-6066.JPG IMG-6065.JPG

11. Fly2High

Fly2High Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Frank
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Mustang GT PP2
    0   0   0
    Congrats!! Looks great.

Let us know how you like the 275 winters. I am on Long Island and the Cup 2's do not like temps at or below 50 cold. Once the tires have a couple miles, they warm up and I no longer slip. I have a tendency to put up the tire pressure display and drive really carefully until they gain a psi or two. That is the indicator that they are warming up. My winters will be going on either this weekend or next.

All the best. Give it a nice gentle 1000 mile break in(per manual - I kept it below 3K for the first 500 and then below 4.5K. I did have a couple 6K spurts once I was over 800. Do not keep the rpms constant. Vary them all the time either with gas pedal or shifting. Everyone has their own opinion but to me a good break in will result in a better engine. Up to you how to do that break in. This was mine.) and enjoy it!!

MAKE SURE WHEN YOU GET THE 1000 MILE OIL CHANGE AT THE DEALER THAT YOU TELL THEM IT TAKES 10 QUARTS (if '18 - '20) AND VERIFY THEY ACTUALLY DID. CHECK BEFORE THE OIL CHANGE AND AFTER ON THE DIPSTICK THAT THEY FILLED IT CORRECTLY. MY DEALER DID NOT AND I MADE THEM DO ANOTHER OIL CHANGE 34 MILES LATER AND POUR THE OIL OVER A LARGE, STRONG MAGNET TO CHECK FOR FILINGS. ALSO, YOU CAN TAKE A SAMPLE AND SEND IT OUT FOR TESTING AND GET THE OIL FILTER AND CUT IT OPEN TO SEE IF ANY FILINGS ARE IN THERE. LEVITTOWN FORD DID NOT.

13razorbackfan and kart3l like this.
  12. Prokiller

Prokiller Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    1994 Mustang GT & 2018 Mustang GT PP2
    Rating:
    100%
    1   0   0
    welcome to the PP2 club!

13. IronG

IronG Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2019 Mustang GT PP2
    0   0   0
    Hey nice car! For the 70-72 MPH whine, it is the tires as mine does the same thing. The Cups for some reason find their harmonic peak at that speed :explode:. These tires are noisy suckers in general.

kart3l likes this.
  14. 3star2nr

3star2nr Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Ray
    Vehicle(s):
    2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
    0   0   0
    That price seems way way too high... You can get a used low miles GT350 for 50.00 more per month... At 48k-53.

It seems like they inflated that price a lot cause the base price shouldnt be 50k... Thats what Roush cars down here sell for. I dunno man I'd advice to look at other dealerships. Theres no rush man.

That said if you like the car fuck it buy it, its just money who cares... At the end of the day your happiness is all that matters. If i had any sense I would have waited a year and bought my car for 10k less ... I didn't wait...now 3 years later I'd do it all over again...

kart3l likes this.
  15. 3star2nr

3star2nr Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Ray
    Vehicle(s):
    2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
    0   0   0
    Sounds like mustang issues... The MT82 loves to sing to you...

And my steering wheel is cocked too messes with my ocd

Tickitty Tock likes this.