Fingers crossed I'll update on Tuesday
Sponsored

13razorbackfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
It's not mine yet. I work all weekend but ima try and strike a deal Monday
Come on man! You know it's yours already! Seriously though I hope it works out. Remember for the first 1k to take it easy and vary the rpms then after 1k you can start running it hard. The power these cars have is so much fun puts a smile on my face everytime I drive it

Chris97277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT premium
Hey guys! Im new to the site. I need help trying to make a decision. I've done research and came up with 2 options. Im looking to buy a 2017 GT or a 2019 ecoboost both automatics. I have 2 examples and il list them below. My goals are to simply enjoy the car for what it is stock no mods. I want a RELIABLE sports car to enjoy on the sunny days. Im 25, no kids but i own my own home. moneys good so Im buying these vehicles cash. My budget is 28k after taxes. I found a white 17 GT with 22k miles, it appears to be stock. the dealership wants 28.5k out the door. This car has 2 years left on its powertrain warranty, no bumper to bumper. I also found a 19 red ecoboost pre certified with 8k miles. it has a 7year 100k warrenty and a 4 year 48k bumper to bumper plus a 2 year maintenance free. this car also appears stock. they want 23,100k out the door. What do you guys think ?
20200111_165811.jpg
20200111_165800.jpg
20200111_152047.jpg
20200111_142042.jpg
If insurance premium differences are no biggy for you, then I suggest the 5.0. You have to look at the consequences though, while also looking at the pros of owning a 5.0. If it is going to be a fun daily, then the 5.0 will cost you more in gas and maintenance, BUT it is extremely fun to drive and not get tired of the power. Being a former ecoboost owner and now 5.0 owner, I got tired of the power extremely quick and started looking for 5.0's. It gets annoying when you have fun with other cars and prius' are able to keep up with you... lol. It is fun to mess around with the big boys of the V8s....

Sponsored

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
Having owned both a '15 auto GT and an '18 auto GT, the 10 speed auto is a winner. I wouldn't doubt that the ecoboost could be faster that's how much of a game changer the 10 speed auto is. If you go the aftermarket tune market, you will have a fast car FOR SURE. Plus torque off the line with the turbo and fantastic gas mileage.

OP
OP
Xzavior1818

Xzavior1818

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2015 SCION xB, 2019 Mustang Gt
Having owned both a '15 auto GT and an '18 auto GT, the 10 speed auto is a winner. I wouldn't doubt that the ecoboost could be faster that's how much of a game changer the 10 speed auto is. If you go the aftermarket tune market, you will have a fast car FOR SURE. Plus torque off the line with the turbo and fantastic gas mileage.
It's already got alot of torque as it is when you put it in sport mode. I guess my problem is with the ecoboost is that it's already tuned to around 75 percent of its mechanical capabilities and if you are to aggressive with tune it'll go boom. But as it is I don't mind the performance. Just realibitly vs the v8

CHEZER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Hey guys! Im new to the site. I need help trying to make a decision. I've done research and came up with 2 options. Im looking to buy a 2017 GT or a 2019 ecoboost both automatics. I have 2 examples and il list them below. My goals are to simply enjoy the car for what it is stock no mods. I want a RELIABLE sports car to enjoy on the sunny days. Im 25, no kids but i own my own home. moneys good so Im buying these vehicles cash. My budget is 28k after taxes. I found a white 17 GT with 22k miles, it appears to be stock. the dealership wants 28.5k out the door. This car has 2 years left on its powertrain warranty, no bumper to bumper. I also found a 19 red ecoboost pre certified with 8k miles. it has a 7year 100k warrenty and a 4 year 48k bumper to bumper plus a 2 year maintenance free. this car also appears stock. they want 23,100k out the door. What do you guys think ?
20200111_165811.jpg
20200111_165800.jpg
20200111_152047.jpg
20200111_142042.jpg
Go with the GT, the trusty 5.0 will serve you well and run a long time with no issues, especially if you are just daily driving and not tracking it. Eco boost has some issues, go online there is plenty published with issues.

dman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt pp lightning
You can't go wrong with either. The '17 GT will have 435 horsepower through a 6 speed automatic in a little heavier of a car. The '19 Ecoboost will have 310 horsepower through a 10 speed automatic. I'd say test drive both and go with your gut. If anything breaks, that's what a warranty is for. My advice, go with your gut.

If you wanted to be nit picky or technical about the situation...
The GT is faster
The GT sounds better, but the Ecoboost will sound just fine stock since you said you aren't doing any mods
Both engines should last a long time with proper maintenance
The Ecoboost has the 10 speed which is a superior transmission than the 6 speed in the GT
The Ecoboost is lighter so it naturally handles better
I own several GT Mustangs. track two and enjoy "spirited" driving...in the right environment. my brother recently bought a 2019 Eco-boost with the 10 speed.

he added two simple mods...Ford Performance tune (filter and download only) and a magnaflow y-pipe to improve exhaust tone.
a great car for the money he invested. the tune worth every penny on the Eco's, 32hp/65ft lb torque. y-pipe did add deeper tone but turbos are turbos...as in Ford GT's!
for the cost of the car you looked at, with warranty and about $700-750 for the listed mods installed, think you'd be a happy stanger. just a thought...dman

\dave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 S550 ecoboost convertible, F150, Lincoln Continental
Hey Anthony. In the summer of '18, I was in the market for a new Mustang. I test drove a '17 GT and several '19 GT's and Ecoboosts. I was in the market for a new convertible. I won't limit what I learned to just what you're looking at right now in case you decide to not get either of these two:

1. The '17 was a convertible GT, so it was a premium package. It was a great car and a great deal and I really liked the car with one important exception: It had HID headlights which I thought were inadequate for dark two lane country driving (which I do a lot of). If the GT you're considering has HID headlights (I believe they were stock on '17's) I would not buy it without test driving it at night on dark roads, preferably roads you're not familiar with. I would have bought that car if I could have found replacement LED headlights, but I couldn't find any, and ended up passing on the car. But you're 25 and I'm 64 with 64 year old eyes. I liked the 6 speed auto in the '17. Tried and true and worked to perfection. The exhaust on the '17 GT is more muted than later GT models. I don't want a loud exhaust to call attention to myself when I'm about to do something foolish (but you're 25 and....). Of course, there's active exhaust now.
2. I drove a '19 GT coupe with a manual. The manual was fine except I have a wife. My only knock on the manual was that it had no feel to it. That's OK after driving for awhile because you can develop muscle memory based on the pedal position.
3. I always do a panic stop on test drives to see how the car reacts. A 19 automatic GT I drove disengaged it's transmission and sat in the road for about three or four seconds before it reengaged on its own. If not for that, I probably would have bought that car.
4. The GT performance package brakes are the bomb.
5. The Eco performance package 10 speed transmission can often be unrefined (a frequently reported issue - and outright spastic on the one I test drove).
6. I found that the Eco is a little lighter on its feet and the engine torque response is more immediate/urgent than the GT, while the GT has a bottomless top end (for me). It felt a little more like a roadster to me, which I like.
7. I figured out (a long story) that lighter wheels, particularly on the Eco, really change the sport/roadster vs muscle car character of the Mustang. My car (2019 Eco automatic convertible) came with the 18x8 5 double-spoke wheels (the gloss black ones with a machined face). By subtracting off the published weight of the P Zero Nero AS tires (30 lbs of mediocre rubber), the wheels should weight about 24.5 pounds. 24.5 lbs is not light for an 18" wheel, but it's light compared to the 19" PP wheels (+33 lbs). I didn't know it at the time, but I think those wheels played a big part in my final selection. You might consider the wheels and tires that are on your two cars when you formulate your driving impressions, with the knowledge that you can change wheels and tires later.
8. If you do a lot of night driving, auto high beams (part of the Safe&Smart package) work to a T and respond faster than you can, freeing you up to think other driver thoughts.

I really love both cars and would be happy with either, for slightly different reasons, because they are a little different. I grew up driving British roadsters, and the Eco was a little closer to those cars (just a little - but enough to matter to me). But of course, when peering out over the hood that is rocking back and forth when revving is pretty cool.

Good luck, enjoy, and be reasonably safe.

Dave

Sponsored
OP
OP
Xzavior1818

Xzavior1818

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
/
Hey Anthony. In the summer of '18, I was in the market for a new Mustang. I test drove a '17 GT and several '19 GT's and Ecoboosts. I was in the market for a new convertible. I won't limit what I learned to just what you're looking at right now in case you decide to not get either of these two:

1. The '17 was a convertible GT, so it was a premium package. It was a great car and a great deal and I really liked the car with one important exception: It had HID headlights which I thought were inadequate for dark two lane country driving (which I do a lot of). If the GT you're considering has HID headlights (I believe they were stock on '17's) I would not buy it without test driving it at night on dark roads, preferably roads you're not familiar with. I would have bought that car if I could have found replacement LED headlights, but I couldn't find any, and ended up passing on the car. But you're 25 and I'm 64 with 64 year old eyes. I liked the 6 speed auto in the '17. Tried and true and worked to perfection. The exhaust on the '17 GT is more muted than later GT models. I don't want a loud exhaust to call attention to myself when I'm about to do something foolish (but you're 25 and....). Of course, there's active exhaust now.
2. I drove a '19 GT coupe with a manual. The manual was fine except I have a wife. My only knock on the manual was that it had no feel to it. That's OK after driving for awhile because you can develop muscle memory based on the pedal position.
3. I always do a panic stop on test drives to see how the car reacts. A 19 automatic GT I drove disengaged it's transmission and sat in the road for about three or four seconds before it reengaged on its own. If not for that, I probably would have bought that car.
4. The GT performance package brakes are the bomb.
5. The Eco performance package 10 speed transmission can often be unrefined (a frequently reported issue - and outright spastic on the one I test drove).
6. I found that the Eco is a little lighter on its feet and the engine torque response is more immediate/urgent than the GT, while the GT has a bottomless top end (for me). It felt a little more like a roadster to me, which I like.
7. I figured out (a long story) that lighter wheels, particularly on the Eco, really change the sport/roadster vs muscle car character of the Mustang. My car (2019 Eco automatic convertible) came with the 18x8 5 double-spoke wheels (the gloss black ones with a machined face). By subtracting off the published weight of the P Zero Nero AS tires (30 lbs of mediocre rubber), the wheels should weight about 24.5 pounds. 24.5 lbs is not light for an 18" wheel, but it's light compared to the 19" PP wheels (+33 lbs). I didn't know it at the time, but I think those wheels played a big part in my final selection. You might consider the wheels and tires that are on your two cars when you formulate your driving impressions, with the knowledge that you can change wheels and tires later.
8. If you do a lot of night driving, auto high beams (part of the Safe&Smart package) work to a T and respond faster than you can, freeing you up to think other driver thoughts.

I really love both cars and would be happy with either, for slightly different reasons, because they are a little different. I grew up driving British roadsters, and the Eco was a little closer to those cars (just a little - but enough to matter to me). But of course, when peering out over the hood that is rocking back and forth when revving is pretty cool.

Good luck, enjoy, and be reasonably safe.

Dave
Thanks If your looking for some Leds that will work with most cars look into https://headlightrevolution.com But for me I guess what made me consider the 5.0 is that I found a Used 19 mustang GT CPO with 450 miles without the new price and without the baggage of financing with ford credit plus trade in to get the price lower than MSRP.That's hard to pass up. I do own a 4 banger toyota that will reliably get me to where I need to go and be good on gas as a daily. Spending 8k more over the ecoboost gives me a really nice car to drive on weekends and track with a time or 2 without wanting more or 2nd guessing my decision. Did i mention this car was bought in november by an old couple who traded it back in because the car sat too low and was hard to get in and out of? 450 miles on it i still got to break the motor in I just can't pass that up.
20200116_120936.jpg

13razorbackfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
After the break in is where the fun begins! Just remember to not use the cruise and keep rpms below 4500 I believe for the first 1k.

\dave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 S550 ecoboost convertible, F150, Lincoln Continental
I didn't read all 7 pages of your thread, so I didn't know you made a buy. Congrats. It looks sweet.

Hey, you have my wheels!

If those tires are the P Zero Nero all season, be aware that the wet traction isn't great. I've found that dry traction is fine. Snow traction is also supposed to be poor - so be careful, Mr. Buckeye. I have about 3700 miles on my car and am looking at tires for sure (Pilot Sport all season 3+) and probably wheels too (to reduce weight). In any event, I'm going to pull the plug on my Pirellis before summer.

So, was this old couple about my age?

OP
OP
Xzavior1818

Xzavior1818

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
Anybody have issues with the 3rd gen coyote?

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Anybody have issues with the 3rd gen coyote?
Anthony there are numerous threads about 3rd gen noises from the tick to the rattle. The great majority of them are nothing. Feel free to drive yourself insane reading them. Did not stop me from buying mine and it shouldn’t stop you either. If worse case something were to happen you warranty would cover it.
Sponsored