Buying an S550 Need help/Advice

Brice80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brice
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red GT Premium PP
UPDATE: I am now a PROUD owner of a Ruby Red 2015 Mustang GT Premium PP, thank you to all that helped me make this decision!

Looking forward to becoming more involveed here.

Brice
image1.jpeg
image2.jpeg
image5.jpeg
image4.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys,

New to the forums here. I'm 23 years old living in Texas. I just sold my '06 v6 mustang and i'm looking to get into a S550. My big debate is Auto versus Performance Pack. I have a 45 min commute each way, but I think driving a stick would be fun.

I am looking at two different cars in the next few days. One being a White Auto 3.15 gear with rims/tires ford racing sport cat back. 401A package, with Nav. asking $37k with under 5k miles.

The other is a a magnetic grey Performance Pack with catback system. Under 5k miles as well, 401A package, no nav. Asking $36k. I feel that this might be a better deal because it has decent rims/tires, where it also has the performance pack (almost $2500 option right?) so that alone would make this more valuable I think.

For those that have the performance pack, do you intend to lower it and get rims/tires? I'm debating how much that would cost, veruss the Auto already decent rims/tires.
Also what are the reviews like on the Transmission, I hear the manual is nice a short shifts, but haven't heard much about the auto. I'd prefer a manual, however if the auto shifts really well, and paddles work well, I could be open to it.

Any advice is welcomed.

Thanks all, and I hope to join in other discussions in the forums.

Brice
Get the performance package. It's the only thing I wish I had done differently.

OP
OP
Brice80

Brice80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brice
Vehicle(s)
Get the performance package. It's the only thing I wish I had done differently.
I really appreciate that, very helpful to know. any particular reason?

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Welcome to the forum!

But I have to say it.

This thread again.

There was an auto vs PP one last week I think? The PP is a godlike option here. People will say autos are for women, the MT82 is a piece of glass, etc.

If you want the manual get the manual/PP, the auto is pretty good as well but it all depends on what you want. You can still turn without the PP though, coming from a 2006 you will be amazed by the IRS either way.

OP
OP
Brice80

Brice80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brice
Vehicle(s)
Welcome to the forum!

But I have to say it.

This thread again.

There was an auto vs PP one last week I think? The PP is a godlike option here. People will say autos are for women, the MT82 is a piece of glass, etc.

If you want the manual get the manual/PP, the auto is pretty good as well but it all depends on what you want. You can still turn without the PP though, coming from a 2006 you will be amazed by the IRS either way.
Yea I see those all the time. I'm not asking y'all to help me pick manual versus auto. I'm asking from your experiences, do you think anything differently/wish you had gone something else for a particular reason (i.e. the auto isn't as responsive as you had imagined etc)

I'm pumped about the new mustang, the interior, but yes the IRS is what I'm most excited about. Thanks for the help thehunteroo

Sponsored

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
Brice,

First of all, welcome, this is a great forum with a great set of members unless you start debating EB vs. GT :). Both will be great cars. I think that the answer is really what you would prefer and in how you will use the car. Personally, I really enjoy having the manual, I think this makes the car and I would not go back. Have driven with the PP before, seems to stiffen it up a bit but the "value" would really depend on whether it would be used in any tangible way by you. Are you planning to drive the car hard or just use as a DD? Any track days or anything like that?

Really either way you will be getting a great car, I would lean the Magnetic with PP unless you are purely planning to use it as a commuter and are in traffic a significant amount of time. Good luck!

Chris

Edit: Should add while the PP is a great option that has good value, I would not miss it myself because I will not be pushing the car to the point where it will really make a difference. Have to be honest with myself, will not be driving like an Andretti. But your mileage may be different. :)

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I really appreciate that, very helpful to know. any particular reason?
It is SO much more a precision instrument than the non-PP car. It's not a race car, and still is reasonably compliant and comfortable, but everything is much, much sharper and focused. I got a chance to take one home for a night after about a month of owning my car, and was blown away how much of a difference there was. It's also a steal for what you get. To change a non-PP car over to a PP, you'd spend $4500-5000 easily, if not more.

I've added a few parts that have made a decent difference to the feeling of the car (strut tower brace, K-brace, PP rear sway bar), but I won't have the Torsen or the brakes.

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Yea I see those all the time. I'm not asking y'all to help me pick manual versus auto. I'm asking from your experiences, do you think anything differently/wish you had gone something else for a particular reason (i.e. the auto isn't as responsive as you had imagined etc)

I'm pumped about the new mustang, the interior, but yes the IRS is what I'm most excited about. Thanks for the help thehunteroo
I came from a 14 PP V6, even without the PP the car handles amazingly even in base form. I never thought the IRS would make such a difference but it does. The auto shifts fine, the paddles are very nice, the shift time seems to be pretty good but it is no high end transmission. Your best bet is to test them both out yourself.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I came from a 14 PP V6, even without the PP the car handles amazingly even in base form. I never thought the IRS would make such a difference but it does. The auto shifts fine, the paddles are very nice, the shift time seems to be pretty good but it is no high end transmission. Your best bet is to test them both out yourself.
Agreed. Still quite a good handling car overall.

OP
OP
Brice80

Brice80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brice
Vehicle(s)
Brice,

First of all, welcome, this is a great forum with a great set of members unless you start debating EB vs. GT :). Both will be great cars. I think that the answer is really what you would prefer and in how you will use the car. Personally, I really enjoy having the manual, I think this makes the car and I would not go back. Have driven with the PP before, seems to stiffen it up a bit but the "value" would really depend on whether it would be used in any tangible way by you. Are you planning to drive the car hard or just use as a DD? Any track days or anything like that?

Really either way you will be getting a great car, I would lean the Magnetic with PP unless you are purely planning to use it as a commuter and are in traffic a significant amount of time. Good luck!

Chris

Edit: Should add while the PP is a great option that has good value, I would not miss it myself because I will not be pushing the car to the point where it will really make a difference. Have to be honest with myself, will not be driving like an Andretti. But your mileage may be different. :)
Chris,

Thanks for the help and advice. I feel welcomed to the forums already, hopefully I can get the car to go along with the status!

Yea I totally understand. My driving style will be very spirited when not on highway during my commute approx 10 miles per day driven "quickly". Just like has been said in the thread already, I want a perfect match between race car, and DD. I don't need it to be a perfect DD (mpg, ride) but I don't want it to be too sloppy on the track either. Haha in my perfect little world I know. I'm just trying to find that balance.

Thanks,

Brice

Sponsored

Fox5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP magnetic
Just don't get an auto.

The PP is a killer deal. Price up everything you get with the PP separately and you'll see it's a bangin' deal.

OP
OP
Brice80

Brice80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brice
Vehicle(s)
Just don't get an auto.

The PP is a killer deal. Price up everything you get with the PP separately and you'll see it's a bangin' deal.
Haha I appreciate it Fox5.0. Seeing that you've got the PP have you felt the need to make any mods to the car? lowering/rims tires? Exhaust for me is an absolute, just wondering if PP owners are doing much else, or if the car is perfect the way it is.

Thanks,
Brice

Fox5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP magnetic
Haha I appreciate it Fox5.0. Seeing that you've got the PP have you felt the need to make any mods to the car? lowering/rims tires? Exhaust for me is an absolute, just wondering if PP owners are doing much else, or if the car is perfect the way it is.

Thanks,
Brice
I personally love the wheels, but the car sat too high for me. So I dropped some springs to lower it about an inch and it sits oh so pretty now. :love:
The brakes are spot on, haven't had any heat issues and have proven themselves a couple times.

Oh, and yes exhaust is next. That's a need for any coyote though.

Overall, yes get the PP.

franklin9150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic GT Premium PP
Brice,

My biased opinion is to get the PP and don't look back. I daily drive mine in bug it traffic and wouldn't change that for anyanything other than medical reason.that would require an auto. I am installing roush axle backs and a Ford racing x pipe this weekend, which will probably be my only mods for a while. This car is pretty dialed in.

Good luck with your decision.

GoBlues38

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Premium, 3.55, 20" Foundry, 6 Spd
Dont get the PP. It's not needed unless you will actually go to the race track (road course) more than 1 or 2 times in the cars life.
Sponsored