HELP ME OUT, buying my first mustang.

Xzavior1818

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2015 SCION xB, 2019 Mustang Gt
Hey guys! Im new to the site. I need help trying to make a decision. I've done research and came up with 2 options. Im looking to buy a 2017 GT or a 2019 ecoboost both automatics. I have 2 examples and il list them below. My goals are to simply enjoy the car for what it is stock no mods. I want a RELIABLE sports car to enjoy on the sunny days. Im 25, no kids but i own my own home. moneys good so Im buying these vehicles cash. My budget is 28k after taxes. I found a white 17 GT with 22k miles, it appears to be stock. the dealership wants 28.5k out the door. This car has 2 years left on its powertrain warranty, no bumper to bumper. I also found a 19 red ecoboost pre certified with 8k miles. it has a 7year 100k warrenty and a 4 year 48k bumper to bumper plus a 2 year maintenance free. this car also appears stock. they want 23,100k out the door. What do you guys think ?
20200111_165811.jpg
20200111_165800.jpg
20200111_152047.jpg
20200111_142042.jpg
Sponsored

Kungfukendrixx

18Shadowblk_5_0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Don't buy the Ecoboost. You will regret it later. I would definitely look for a 17-18+ V8 within your budget.

OP
OP
Xzavior1818

Xzavior1818

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
Don't buy the Ecoboost. You will regret it later. I would definitely look for a 17-18+ V8 within your budget.
I appreciate that, Please explain why other than it being slower?

S7N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 KIA STINGER GT1 AWD
I've owned both an ecoboost and now my GT. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the ecoboost. I'd say go for the ecoboost it's newer looks better and cheaper. I would own both if I could afford it. Have you test drove them yet?

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
Have you driven them? For me I just struggle with the exhaust note on a 4 cylinder Mustang vs 8 cylinder and I also prefer a naturally aspirated engine over smaller displacement turbo engine.

Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
You can't go wrong with either. The '17 GT will have 435 horsepower through a 6 speed automatic in a little heavier of a car. The '19 Ecoboost will have 310 horsepower through a 10 speed automatic. I'd say test drive both and go with your gut. If anything breaks, that's what a warranty is for. My advice, go with your gut.

If you wanted to be nit picky or technical about the situation...
The GT is faster
The GT sounds better, but the Ecoboost will sound just fine stock since you said you aren't doing any mods
Both engines should last a long time with proper maintenance
The Ecoboost has the 10 speed which is a superior transmission than the 6 speed in the GT
The Ecoboost is lighter so it naturally handles better

OP
OP
Xzavior1818

Xzavior1818

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
I've owned both an ecoboost and now my GT. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the ecoboost. I'd say go for the ecoboost it's newer looks better and cheaper. I would own both if I could afford it. Have you test drove them yet?
Thank you sir

OP
OP
Xzavior1818

Xzavior1818

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
You can't go wrong with either. The '17 GT will have 435 horsepower through a 6 speed automatic in a little heavier of a car. The '19 Ecoboost will have 310 horsepower through a 10 speed automatic. I'd say test drive both and go with your gut. If anything breaks, that's what a warranty is for. My advice, go with your gut.

If you wanted to be nit picky or technical about the situation...
The GT is faster
The GT sounds better, but the Ecoboost will sound just fine stock since you said you aren't doing any mods
Both engines should last a long time with proper maintenance
The Ecoboost has the 10 speed which is a superior transmission than the 6 speed in the GT
The Ecoboost is lighter so it naturally handles better
I drove both of these, the 5.0 is wild but less practical. Id be afraid to enjoy it due to the lack of warranty. On to the eco boost, it has enough power for me, decent gas mileage. pre owned certified. I did read about "ecoboom" whether its a problem on newer stock motors with an auto tranny idk.

OP
OP
Xzavior1818

Xzavior1818

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
Yes, these are what I drove. And the ecoboost does look better I agree!

S7N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 KIA STINGER GT1 AWD
I drove both of these, the 5.0 is wild but less practical. Id be afraid to enjoy it due to the lack of warranty. On to the eco boost, it has enough power for me, decent gas mileage. pre owned certified. I did read about "ecoboom" whether its a problem on newer stock motors with an auto tranny idk.
Ecoboom was a predominantly a 15-16 MY situation where people with 3rd party tunes where being silly. You have no reason to worry on a stock eco motor absolutely zero.

Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
On a stock car, you are fine. The whole "Ecoboom" thing is grossly overstated. Think about how many Ecoboost Mustangs Ford sells and then think about how many people have problems on this forum. The forum makes it look like a big problem when in reality only a small number of engines had issues. Of the engines that had issues, most were running a hot tune. The 2.3 Ecoboost and the Coyote are both great motors.

To put your mind at ease, run 91 or 93(whatever is premium fuel in your area) in the Ecoboost for peace of mind/additional protection plus you get a little more power out of the motor than regular 87 can give you.

OP
OP
Xzavior1818

Xzavior1818

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
Have you driven them? For me I just struggle with the exhaust note on a 4 cylinder Mustang vs 8 cylinder and I also prefer a naturally aspirated engine over smaller displacement turbo engine.
I had that feeling as well. But the ecoboost did not sound bad, just not what youd expect.

OP
OP
Xzavior1818

Xzavior1818

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboom was a predominantly a 15-16 MY situation where people with 3rd party tunes where being silly. You have no reason to worry on a stock eco motor absolutely zero.
Thanks, that's my only worry with the ecoboost. The warranty does make it a safer buy over the 17 gt

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
If this car will be a daily driver for you the Eco is a little more agile around town and less noisy.

Echo4papa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Coupe
Do yourself a huge favor and call your insurance company. Have them provide you with an estimate on your instance cost for both cars so you can take that cost into consideration as well.

Regardless of what car you get, try to find one that is a CPO Ford so you get the extended warranty. It sounds like the Ecoboost is a CPO vehicle in this case but the GT is not. I'd test drive both and if you decide the GT is the one you want, keep searching until you find one that's CPO instead.
Sponsored