Sponsored

FL 2087 update (interesting information)

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
So I spoke with the vendor that I have a backorder through today. His last update from the supplier was 20 December and it was basically "missing component parts, no estimated ship date."

This is from one of the largest fleet suppliers in the nation with some ENORMOUS contracts. He said all across the industry they're seeing backorders and shortages on critical components, for everything from delivery trucks to transport trucks, etc.

He said one of the biggest was the DEF components for new gen diesels where the entire system was so backed up, a group of industry players had to petition the feds to actually relax the requirements and allow a bypass around the DEF. Otherwise entire fleets of trucks would just be sitting idle waiting on maintenance items.

Long story short, he said usually he'd see an update when something hits the water on it's way and the system would inform me as to the estimated ship date at that point. But he said across all sorts of parts and components, that could be next week, or it could be 10 months from now, there's just no way to tell (without someone in the know with motorcraft and who they're sourcing these filters from).

He said the same stuff is happening around things like water pumps for a particular line of diesel motors where a $900 pump is selling for $5k on ebay because they're like gold and people are paying it because if their trucks/businesses are sitting idle, they're losing that much money. The shortages have created all sorts of black market and aftermarket craziness.

If this shortage lasts into the late spring or even Summer, I'm afraid the only thing that's going to force Ford to declare an alternate is if someone threatens them with suit.

The problem isn't so much that Ford changed the spec or that there's a shortage, the problem is that without an approved alternate, the consumer is now faced with unreasonable circumstances where you have to decide to pay exorbitant costs through a dealer oil service (and then wonder if they actually used the 2087), run an unapproved filter (and violate the terms of the warranty) or just not operate their property as desired.

I imagine once Ford receives the first legit motion from an attorney, in a few weeks after that we'll see a published update as to suitable alternatives (that are acceptable for a limited time frame, like 3 months, and then they'll revisit it at expiry to see if the motorcraft filters are available).
Sponsored

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Interesting. Glad a grabbed a couple before this all went down. I should be good for a year or so and then Iā€™ll start to sweat lol

OP
OP
Angrey

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Interesting. Glad a grabbed a couple before this all went down. I should be good for a year or so and then Iā€™ll start to sweat lol
I've kinda meandered in my opinion. At first I thought the whole collapsing thing was boogie man, but then Fathouse chimed in with several examples of failed filters. Then I was leaning more toward the idea that maybe the metal frame was worth the extra protection, but then someone posted the photos of a 2087 with the metal frame pushed in and bent and it makes me wonder if it even solves the problem.

I'm not under any warranty concerns so I'm currently researching what the best remote filter adapter (and suitable filter) would be.

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Damn. This does not bode well.

Stang 19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Ford Performance Blue
I've kinda meandered in my opinion. At first I thought the whole collapsing thing was boogie man, but then Fathouse chimed in with several examples of failed filters. Then I was leaning more toward the idea that maybe the metal frame was worth the extra protection, but then someone posted the photos of a 2087 with the metal frame pushed in and bent and it makes me wonder if it even solves the problem.

I'm not under any warranty concerns so I'm currently researching what the best remote filter adapter (and suitable filter) would be.
I think most of us would be very interested to hear what you find regarding your remote filter set up . In other words is there a complete kit that someone makes out there or do we need to piece it together to make this work ? Either way thank you in advance for researching .

Sponsored

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
I have the K&N alternative and just ordered the FL2062 via Amazon. Not due for an oil change until June but Iā€™m not waiting until the last minute to look for the FL2087.
Local dealership has been out for two months. I asked what they were doing and was told ā€œthey are just holding off for a bitā€. Meaning, people arenā€™t changing their oil at the dealership. I was told you ā€œshouldnā€™tā€ use the FL2062. I guess nobody wants to accept liability. šŸ˜‰

BuckeyeGT350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 Race Red, 2018 GMC Sierra Denali
I have the K&N alternative and just ordered the FL2062 via Amazon. Not due for an oil change until June but Iā€™m not waiting until the last minute to look for the FL2087.
Local dealership has been out for two months. I asked what they were doing and was told ā€œthey are just holding off for a bitā€. Meaning, people arenā€™t changing their oil at the dealership. I was told you ā€œshouldnā€™tā€ use the FL2062. I guess nobody wants to accept liability. šŸ˜‰
I have both the K&N and FL2062 but was waiting to see if I could get my hands on a 2087. From what I am reading, and I would love some confirmation, is that it is perfectly fine to use either K&N or 2062 correct?

US HWY 666

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R
I have both the K&N and FL2062 but was waiting to see if I could get my hands on a 2087. From what I am reading, and I would love some confirmation, is that it is perfectly fine to use either K&N or 2062 correct?
My 2018 350R came from Ford with the 2062. I would use either filter you mentioned,
if you can't get the FL-2087. Plus, whatever "The Chairman" is saying has a lot of
credibility as far as I'm concerned.

OP
OP
Angrey

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Part of the upgrade to the 2087 isn't just the metal frame, it's the improved flow from the synthetic media. Those with before and after are seeing noticeable gains in oil pressure.

I think you'd be fine to run the 2062, but if you want the improvement in flow, there are several synthetic filters on the market. The 2062 and the 2062A both look to be cellulose. Which does a better job of capturing moisture but overall will flow less and not filter as well in the smaller particle range.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
The problem isn't so much that Ford changed the spec or that there's a shortage, the problem is that without an approved alternate, the consumer is now faced with unreasonable circumstances where you have to decide to pay exorbitant costs through a dealer oil service (and then wonder if they actually used the 2087), run an unapproved filter (and violate the terms of the warranty) or just not operate their property as desired.
Man Angrey...I don't completely disagree that you're technically right, but maybe a bit dramatic over the whole warranty scare scenario. IDK man...maybe I'm alone on this one.

For example...define an "unapproved" filter? You can't. There's no such list. There will not be a forthcoming "approved" alternate. The manufacturer can't dictate what filter you use, so that at face value does not violate any warranty. Yeeeessss, yes, I'm well aware of the two notes about the filter in the owners supplement; but in a court of law, those notes are not binding or mandatory. The don't hold any water and do not tie your hands to use a Motorcraft filter. They legally can't do that. Scare tactic. There is, and will not be, a black list and white list of alternate filters. That's not coming. I'll be happy to eat crow in front of the whole forum if it does. And as far as the whole warranty debate goes, I'm more than happy to buy the beer and we can argue over that one all night. Still comes down to a persons tolerance level.

But let's put some things into perspective before hand...How many collapsed 2062 (and maybe one (1) probable 2087) filters do we know about for certain? Two, maybe three from FatHouse??? Let's say Ford knows about 10 more for the sake of argument...out of how many tens and tens of thousands that are successfully on the road today?!?! Or successfully used over the past eight years?!?!

I mean, you can't even compute how low the odds are of having an oil filter issue; fractions of a percentage point. Especially on a normal or harsh driven street car.

The fear factor just isn't there. It just doesn't support avoiding a quality aftermarket filter (Amsoil, maybe K&N, etc). And I'll sure as f$%# run aftermarket (well...Amsoil) for the media before running a 2062 (and that statement comes out of zero fear of either of them collapsing).

Anywho...my worthless $0.02.

*Oh...and can someone post a link to the post/discussion about a 2087 collapsed? I searched and couldn't find it. Thanks guys.

Last edited:

Sponsored

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
So I spoke with the vendor that I have a backorder through today. His last update from the supplier was 20 December and it was basically "missing component parts, no estimated ship date."

This is from one of the largest fleet suppliers in the nation with some ENORMOUS contracts. He said all across the industry they're seeing backorders and shortages on critical components, for everything from delivery trucks to transport trucks, etc.

He said one of the biggest was the DEF components for new gen diesels where the entire system was so backed up, a group of industry players had to petition the feds to actually relax the requirements and allow a bypass around the DEF. Otherwise entire fleets of trucks would just be sitting idle waiting on maintenance items.

Long story short, he said usually he'd see an update when something hits the water on it's way and the system would inform me as to the estimated ship date at that point. But he said across all sorts of parts and components, that could be next week, or it could be 10 months from now, there's just no way to tell (without someone in the know with motorcraft and who they're sourcing these filters from).

He said the same stuff is happening around things like water pumps for a particular line of diesel motors where a $900 pump is selling for $5k on ebay because they're like gold and people are paying it because if their trucks/businesses are sitting idle, they're losing that much money. The shortages have created all sorts of black market and aftermarket craziness.

If this shortage lasts into the late spring or even Summer, I'm afraid the only thing that's going to force Ford to declare an alternate is if someone threatens them with suit.

I imagine once Ford receives the first legit motion from an attorney, in a few weeks after that we'll see a published update as to suitable alternatives (that are acceptable for a limited time frame, like 3 months, and then they'll revisit it at expiry to see if the motorcraft filters are available).
I have a Rescue truck out of service for the last two months due to a DEF issue. Id be interested to see if the feds approved bypassing the system

OP
OP
Angrey

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I have a Rescue truck out of service for the last two months due to a DEF issue. Id be interested to see if the feds approved bypassing the system
He seemed to indicate they had. Worth looking into.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
My 2018 350R came from Ford with the 2062. I would use either filter you mentioned,
if you can't get the FL-2087. Plus, whatever "The Chairman" is saying has a lot of
credibility as far as I'm concerned.
Yes, it came with a 2062, but the latest version of the manual specifies the 2087. The 2017 350 still specifies the 2062 on the latest manual version.

Edit:
Rex, I stand corrected. The latest supplement for the 2018 GT350R specifies the FL2062.

Screenshot_20220125-222451_Drive.jpg

Last edited:

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I inquired about this subject at my dealer. They said they are turning oil changes away because they can't get the filters. This is a very large dealership with a lot of pull. They can't get them.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Man Angrey...I don't completely disagree that you're technically right, but maybe a bit dramatic over the whole warranty scare scenario. IDK man...maybe I'm alone on this one.

For example...define an "unapproved" filter? You can't. There's no such list. There will not be a forthcoming "approved" alternate. The manufacturer can't dictate what filter you use, so that at face value does not violate any warranty. Yeeeessss, yes, I'm well aware of the two notes about the filter in the owners supplement; but in a court of law, those notes are not binding or mandatory. The don't hold any water and do not tie your hands to use a Motorcraft filter. They legally can't do that. Scare tactic. There is, and will not be, a black list and white list of alternate filters. That's not coming. I'll be happy to eat crow in front of the whole forum if it does. And as far as the whole warranty debate goes, I'm more than happy to buy the beer and we can argue over that one all night. Still comes down to a persons tolerance level.

But let's put some things into perspective before hand...How many collapsed 2062 (and maybe one (1) probable 2087) filters do we know about for certain? Two, maybe three from FatHouse??? Let's say Ford knows about 10 more for the sake of argument...out of how many tens and tens of thousands that are successfully on the road today?!?! Or successfully used over the past eight years?!?!

I mean, you can't even compute how low the odds are of having an oil filter issue; fractions of a percentage point. Especially on a normal or harsh driven street car.

The fear factor just isn't there. It just doesn't support avoiding a quality aftermarket filter (Amsoil, maybe K&N, etc). And I'll sure as f$%# run aftermarket (well...Amsoil) for the media before running a 2062 (and that statement comes out of zero fear of either of them collapsing).

Anywho...my worthless $0.02.

*Oh...and can someone post a link to the post/discussion about a 2087 collapsed? I searched and couldn't find it. Thanks guys.
As I mentioned in another post, I inquired about this at my dealership. What I was told was that if the engine should grenade itself and an aftermarket filter was discovered, then the warranty would be voided.

Edit:
Here is what I found. MY2018 and below the FL2062 is specified in the GT350 owners supplement.

2019 and 2020 both specify the 2087 filter.

Both charts for each respective model year have a note at the bottom stating that use of any other filter as specified could lead to engine damage.

I dont think I'd roll the dice on an aftermarket filter.
Sponsored

Last edited: