Sponsored

Engine Failure.. It finally happened.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
you’re one lucky dude
Mine didn't consume oil either. 33,000 miles, a number of track days, daily driven hot weather cold weather down below zero...

I don't think it's luck. I think most of them didn't consume oil.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Yeah right! And how many do you know of. I think there were 2 or 3 on this site.
Yup, I made a bullshit generalization just like you did. Neither’s good for the GT350.

You late comers need to get off your pedestals.

Sponsored

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I owned 2 of them, a 2016 Track Pack and now a 2016 R. None used/use any oil, both been tracked (the R is going on the track next week again :) ) . Even the engines sound the same, have the same tick and noise when really hot... I like consistency. I am superstitious, if I buy another one, it won't be a different year GT350.
But my next car will surely be a beetle of some sort or a Ferrari.

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Bought my 2017 Shelby on 4\20\20... today the engine is done. taking it to my local ford dealership. Car was bought with 15.7k miles it now has 17.3k miles. The very next day after purchasing it i had the oil changed and a compression test done everything was fine. I knew this would would come just sucks that it happened so fast, at least its under warranty.

Edit: Does anyone know if they will offer a buyback on a 2nd owner car? Car was not bought or financed thru a ford dealership.
You can under federal law, it’s called the magnuson moss warranty act. I have a law suit with ford right now regarding my transmission in my 2018. I’m on my third transmission and it’s back in the shop again for a 4th time.

superman07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350
Alternator x2 1 pre whipple, 1 post whipple
Muffler - post whipple, valve shot and frozen one side
Exhaust header x3 (All leaked at flex) went to long tubes.
Transmission - burned up wouldn't go back into first (2016 tech)
Clutch at 14k pre-whipple never tracked or raced - just gave up. wasn't abused.
AC
Oil filter came loose after Ford dealer change - they charged me for 3 quarts and a cleanup.
Oil pan gasket (twice but second time was install error) diffrent dealer but it sat for 3 weeks waiting for a new pan and some top secret special gasket stuff.

Shit, My block has been about the only thing that hasn't broke on this bitch. 37k with whipple.

But when it breaks them loose in 5th it still gives me a grin. But I wont buy another Ford. 25 percent due to the car, 75 percent because the dealers are horrible.

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Alternator x2 1 pre whipple, 1 post whipple
Muffler - post whipple, valve shot and frozen one side
Exhaust header x3 (All leaked at flex) went to long tubes.
Transmission - burned up wouldn't go back into first (2016 tech)
Clutch at 14k pre-whipple never tracked or raced - just gave up. wasn't abused.
AC
Oil filter came loose after Ford dealer change - they charged me for 3 quarts and a cleanup.
Oil pan gasket (twice but second time was install error) diffrent dealer but it sat for 3 weeks waiting for a new pan and some top secret special gasket stuff.

Shit, My block has been about the only thing that hasn't broke on this bitch. 37k with whipple.

But when it breaks them loose in 5th it still gives me a grin. But I wont buy another Ford. 25 percent due to the car, 75 percent because the dealers are horrible.
Yeah mine is the last Ford I buy as well.. First mustang, the motor took a shit at 13k miles, and this 2nd one non stop transmission issues. Ford needs to stop cheaping out. I understand Henry Ford's philosophy in trying to make every car affordable to the masses, but people don't really care anymore as there as many different ways to make income now at days, that we want quality!

Sponsored

damships

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabe
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT A10 PP1 (Rapid Red)
Having an engine let go made you feel more confident? It has done the absolute opposite for me. Why would the replacement engine hurt the value of the vehicle? It's being replaced with the appropriate engine (not a swap of some sort) and the serial numbers don't match to begin with from what I understand.
An engine replacement can significantly impact the re-sale value of any vehicle. People will think that if the engine blew than that means there could be other issues as well. I'm not saying that's the case, but people's perception of this is what could drive the value down. If I'm looking for a vehicle and an engine was replaced, along with possible other things, than the less likely I will want to purchase the vehicle.

madweazl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah right! And how many do you know of. I think there were 2 or 3 on this site.
When mine seized, I found 4 others on this site with less than 800 miles after searching all of 2 minutes. I'm not suggesting that the rate is crazy high in general but the number I found with minimal effort is alarming. Hopefully the service department will know what exactly failed by Wednesday.

Evo42

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT350 - Ruby Red
My first GT350 was a 2018 (base) and she didn't consume oil. Her demise was, unfortunately, in an accident. Stout car and she had no issues.

Now I have a ruby red GT350 (base) and she came with issues with 7 miles on her. Pass tense, mind you. Had issues. The oil pump was the first thing to go. As we were dropping off the rental (my sales rep went with me to help me drop it off), the low oil pressure light came on and I noticed the gauge was really low. 25psi for the engine oil and lower unless throttle was applied. My dealership treated me like royalty. They put me in a truck they had on the lot and replaced the entire engine. Does it have matching serial numbers? I don't know. I don't really care. I didn't get this car to worry about resale value. I got it for me and for my own enjoyment.

After they replaced the motor, the reverse lockout wasn't working so I had to get that fixed as well. So they replaced the entire shifter. I was able to work around it for a little bit, but that's what they eventually had to do.

Now that I could shift properly without worrying about reverse, I realized the syncros were out shifting from 2nd to 3rd (but not 3rd to 4th, 3rd to 2nd, etc.) and had to take it back. I had one of the shop guys ride with me to prove that, yes, I could shift and it made a horrid noise when you tried to shift fast. Slow shifts were fine. They replaced the entire trans.

In all, the car spent the first 3ish weeks in the shop due to these issues. After all this was resolved in the first few hundred miles? She's been a stout car. The world isn't perfect and sometimes things happen. It's why we have warranty. Find a dealership that will help you and stick with them. That's my best advice. Ford did everything they could (dealership included) to take care of me. They replaced the transmission in 3 days. Overnighted it and all since my car had been down so much. Engine replacement was about a week to a week and a half. (Mostly they were waiting for Ford to approve the work as they couldn't just crack into the motor without it.)

Again I will note: Neither the 18 nor this 19 consumed oil. Do they? Some, but not all. If you have one that consumes oil, watch it. If you don't have one that consumes oil? Watch it anyways. If you have a 17 or prior year, make sure you're checking you oil filters as they CAN back off. Will all of them? No, but proper maintenance and inspection is the key to a healthy ride. Doesn't matter what platform it is.

How long the repairs take and how they take care of you depends on the dealership you go to. Most have rentals for warranty use (at least here in Tyler, Tx.) If they don't, do what someone else suggested and talk to your insurance company. They can at least ensure you're supposed to be getting the help you need and not getting screwed around by the dealership, as I doubt they'd want to lose money for another company's mess-ups.

It seems after 2020 the GT350 and the Voodoo 5.2L will be a thing of the past, though. We'll see what Ford does!

Hopefully this all pans out and works for you. It can be a headache but, again, work with your dealership and they're prone to work with you. That has been my experience. Hopefully it will be yours!

rucus0101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
If they won't let me step into their work area they don't get to service the vehicle. You are the paying customer. If they throw the whole liability card it's because they don't want you to catch inappropriate behavior at the garage. Here's a perfect example, I was walking up to the car and the tech opens the door and gets out of the car. While getting out of the car, his heavy duty boots scratches the side of the door. I saw it happen and so did the service advisor. Everyone's human but I should not be responsible for the damages for someone else's mistake. Did it get fixed; sure but what had I not been there? Could had been my own dime. Same thing with rechecking someone else's work. It's all about accountability. Side discussion, I don't know about you but the only reason I take my car to get serviced at the service dept. is to keep the warranty in check. Otherwise, I'd do my own oil service.

I'd do it myself but I already know the discussion is always easier when they've done all the work when attempting to get a warranty claim. It's a paper trail. They should treat it like a ferrari. That's an alcatera steering wheel. Don't touch it with your oily gloves. Throw those out and get a new pair. My shift knob shouldn't return to me with grease all over it. Yes, this has happened. Good thing Ford oil change interval are 5K. (for me at least).
I had them drive mine over the curb stop. I have a Sto n show and it bent up the plate and scratched up the underside of the spltter

Dreamsicle

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2018 shelby gt350
Have had no problems with my 18 with oil consumption. I did put billet oil pump gears in before I put the whipple gen 5 on . Even with the whipple i have had no oil consumption problems.
Sponsored