Engine Failure.. It finally happened.

Rubens350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ruben
Vehicle(s)
17' GT350
Bought my 2017 Shelby on 4\20\20... today the engine is done. taking it to my local ford dealership. Car was bought with 15.7k miles it now has 17.3k miles. The very next day after purchasing it i had the oil changed and a compression test done everything was fine. I knew this would would come just sucks that it happened so fast, at least its under warranty.

Edit: Does anyone know if they will offer a buyback on a 2nd owner car? Car was not bought or financed thru a ford dealership.
Sponsored

EuroKllr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
No, Ford won't do a buy back. Did you buy it to drive it or store it away for 30+ years with the hope it would be appreciate in value exponentially? If its the former, then you might be glad the engine denotated under warranty. After I got my new engine a huge weight was lifted off my mind because I stopped worrying about if my engine was going to crap the bed and leave me stranded in the middle of no where. Frankly, I enjoy my car more now than ever before , and I could care less about resale value. The key to the whole process is two things. First find a dealer that is competent in replacing engines. Secondly, have realistic expectations, Ford isn't out to screw you, it's just business to them so try not to take some of the delays and details personally.

OP
OP

Rubens350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ruben
Vehicle(s)
17' GT350
How long did it take for your engine replacement ? Might have to buy a 2k beater. Will be cheaper than a rental

Sponsored

M.A.N.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ranger 2018 F-150 2014 GT500
I'm sorry to here that, just try to find a good dealer to do the work.

OP
OP

Rubens350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ruben
Vehicle(s)
17' GT350
What were the signs she was going?
Zero signs. Car was 100% normal then out of no where it just sounded different. Like a 4cyl with a big muffler so I drove it was luckily I was less than 2 miles from my house and the closest dealer is like a 5min drive

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
Zero signs. Car was 100% normal then out of no where it just sounded different. Like a 4cyl with a big muffler so I drove it was luckily I was less than 2 miles from my house and the closest dealer is like a 5min drive
Sorry to hear that. Hope all does well with the changeout.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
The very next day after purchasing it i had the oil changed and a compression test done everything was fine. I knew this would would come just sucks that it happened so fast, at least its under warranty.
It’s interesting you bought the vehicle in the first place...

I don’t think I’d knowingly buy a 10s of 1,000s dollars worth of a vehicle knowing it’s engine was gonna blow.

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
How long did it take for your engine replacement ? Might have to buy a 2k beater. Will be cheaper than a rental
Two ideas, one you should be provided a rental since it's under warranty. My dealership provided me a rental while they did some warranty work on the car. If not, you can always use your insurance's rental service.

@OP, you got an oil change and the next day it died. Let me know if you discover the oil filter was loose. I will be making it a habit in order to protect everyone that before the car get's dropped to the ground, I re-verify the techs work by torquing the filter myself.

Sponsored

madweazl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
No, Ford won't do a buy back. Did you buy it to drive it or store it away for 30+ years with the hope it would be appreciate in value exponentially? If its the former, then you might be glad the engine denotated under warranty. After I got my new engine a huge weight was lifted off my mind because I stopped worrying about if my engine was going to crap the bed and leave me stranded in the middle of no where. Frankly, I enjoy my car more now than ever before , and I could care less about resale value. The key to the whole process is two things. First find a dealer that is competent in replacing engines. Secondly, have realistic expectations, Ford isn't out to screw you, it's just business to them so try not to take some of the delays and details personally.
Having an engine let go made you feel more confident? It has done the absolute opposite for me. Why would the replacement engine hurt the value of the vehicle? It's being replaced with the appropriate engine (not a swap of some sort) and the serial numbers don't match to begin with from what I understand.

Evil_E

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R KR293
The
Having an engine let go made you feel more confident? It has done the absolute opposite for me. Why would the replacement engine hurt the value of the vehicle? It's being replaced with the appropriate engine (not a swap of some sort) and the serial numbers don't match to begin with from what I understand.
The numbers match on mine. My block clearly has a matching vin.
Having non-matching numbers wouldn’t bother me. What’s most important is a experienced engine installer.

madlag

Snake Charmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2022 GT500
It’s interesting you bought the vehicle in the first place...

I don’t think I’d knowingly buy a 10s of 1,000s dollars worth of a vehicle knowing it’s engine was gonna blow.
LOL man I had this same thought running through my head

madweazl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
The
The numbers match on mine. My block clearly has a matching vin.
Having non-matching numbers wouldn’t bother me. What’s most important is a experienced engine installer.
I'd check mine but I haven't had it for 2 weeks...

sox3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350 Performance Blue
Having an engine let go made you feel more confident? It has done the absolute opposite for me. Why would the replacement engine hurt the value of the vehicle? It's being replaced with the appropriate engine (not a swap of some sort) and the serial numbers don't match to begin with from what I understand.[/QUOTE]

They are matching serial numbers on block.

20190511_084530.jpg
20191028_082907.jpg
Sponsored