Engine Failure.. It finally happened.

Evil_E

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R KR293
I'd check mine but I haven't had it for 2 weeks...
No need to unless you’ve had it replaced. Point being, all come with matching numbers to clear your misunderstanding.
Sponsored

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
LOL man I had this same thought running through my head
You're all doing it wrong. With planned obsolescence and poor manufacturing (let's see how many corners we can cut), you got to go in with your mind set that any car you buy will blow up! Sadly, there's some truth to it. Smiles per gallon? More like, Smiles per car payment.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
There may be no numbers/VIN on the block or trans if you have a PP car. @PP0001 would possibly know better about this.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

Rubens350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ruben
Vehicle(s)
17' GT350
@OP, you got an oil change and the next day it died.

i got the oil changed right when I bought it in April, it’s been 2 months

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
Two ideas, one you should be provided a rental since it's under warranty. My dealership provided me a rental while they did some warranty work on the car. If not, you can always use your insurance's rental service.

@OP, you got an oil change and the next day it died. Let me know if you discover the oil filter was loose. I will be making it a habit in order to protect everyone that before the car get's dropped to the ground, I re-verify the techs work by torquing the filter myself.
This is a little confusing.
Most dealerships won’t let you step into their work area let alone check their work under the car while lifted.
It’s really a shame we can’t even trust something as simple as an oil change.
I work with dealerships almost daily. The new techs are the ones doing your oil changes. Maybe we should take them to a trusted independent shop or just do it ourselves.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I had really good luck with dealership oil changes. I did a number of changes myself, but when I did take the GT350 to the dealer I felt as though they treated it like Ford's Ferrari. The techs were really careful and did an excellent job.

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
I had really good luck with dealership oil changes. I did a number of changes myself, but when I did take the GT350 to the dealer I felt as though they treated it like Ford's Ferrari. The techs were really careful and did an excellent job.
Same. I've built a solid relationship with the service manager over the past couple years and he takes care of any concerns I have. He knows who he can trust to work on my GT350.

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
This is a little confusing.
Most dealerships won’t let you step into their work area let alone check their work under the car while lifted.
It’s really a shame we can’t even trust something as simple as an oil change.
I work with dealerships almost daily. The new techs are the ones doing your oil changes. Maybe we should take them to a trusted independent shop or just do it ourselves.
If they won't let me step into their work area they don't get to service the vehicle. You are the paying customer. If they throw the whole liability card it's because they don't want you to catch inappropriate behavior at the garage. Here's a perfect example, I was walking up to the car and the tech opens the door and gets out of the car. While getting out of the car, his heavy duty boots scratches the side of the door. I saw it happen and so did the service advisor. Everyone's human but I should not be responsible for the damages for someone else's mistake. Did it get fixed; sure but what had I not been there? Could had been my own dime. Same thing with rechecking someone else's work. It's all about accountability. Side discussion, I don't know about you but the only reason I take my car to get serviced at the service dept. is to keep the warranty in check. Otherwise, I'd do my own oil service.

I'd do it myself but I already know the discussion is always easier when they've done all the work when attempting to get a warranty claim. It's a paper trail. They should treat it like a ferrari. That's an alcatera steering wheel. Don't touch it with your oily gloves. Throw those out and get a new pair. My shift knob shouldn't return to me with grease all over it. Yes, this has happened. Good thing Ford oil change interval are 5K. (for me at least).

Sponsored

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
If they won't let me step into their work area they don't get to service the vehicle. You are the paying customer. If they throw the whole liability card it's because they don't want you to catch inappropriate behavior at the garage. (for me at least).
Like I said, I deal with franchise dealerships almost daily. I’m working for them, not the other way around.
I must wear safety gear as if I’m an employee. Some won’t even let my enter the service tech only area even though they have known me for years.
To say they are playing some kind of game my or may not be true. I’ll guarantee most that follow OSHA rules are not playing games.
God forbid anything were to happen to you while in their restricted/employer only area. I’ll guarantee your survivors would go after said dealership.
I work out of a self contained specialty service trailer. Believe me, not “everyone” is allowed inside my work area for the same reason I described above.
It’s the dealerships responsibility to keep a safe working environment, that does not include you having access to it.

Deleted member 37397

Just to be clear, you got an oil change and put about 1,600 miles on it before the engine blew? Sorry to hear it happened, I’d start with checking the oil filter and see if that failed?

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Like I said, I deal with franchise dealerships almost daily. I’m working for them, not the other way around.
I must wear safety gear as if I’m an employee. Some won’t even let my enter the service tech only area even though they have known me for years.
To say they are playing some kind of game my or may not be true. I’ll guarantee most that follow OSHA rules are not playing games.
God forbid anything were to happen to you while in their restricted/employer only area. I’ll guarantee your survivors would go after said dealership.
I work out of a self contained specialty service trailer. Believe me, not “everyone” is allowed inside my work area for the same reason I described above.
It’s the dealerships responsibility to keep a safe working environment, that does not include you having access to it.
I respect what you've stated. However, I have better odds getting injured on a motorcycle than at the garage. As with anything, I'd be willing to sign 100 pages stating they're not liable and such. I get where you're coming from but unfortunately, if I'm paying you to do something. It better be done right and a little reassurance on my part goes a long way cause at the end of the day, I could also injure myself doing it myself; equipment/jacks can fail too. Fred, thanks for the post but I just can't humor this discussion any further. Don't want to derail this thread.

Just to be clear, you got an oil change and put about 1,600 miles on it before the engine blew? Sorry to hear it happened, I’d start with checking the oil filter and see if that failed?
I read that initially wrong, I think you're right. he requested an oil change at the day of purchase and 1600 miles later the engine let go. could be many reasons.

OP
OP

Rubens350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ruben
Vehicle(s)
17' GT350
I checked the dipstick last night and it was under by a lot. My parking space has 0 oil so for sure it’s not leaking it was just consuming so much. Just left the dealer. The guy was super cool they had just replaced an engine a week ago the guy slapped turbos on it and it blew again lol.
He said they should have a new engine installed in 1-2 weeks for mine.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
I checked the dipstick last night and it was under by a lot.
A lot means?

Did it register on the stick at all?

Before last night, when did you last check your oil last?

When you noticed it was ‘under by a lot’, did you:
1) Add oil to the recommended level; or
2) Start ‘er up and go for a spin?

A few people have posted similar stories here and some of them turned out to be owner neglect. Not saying that’s your situation; I think it’s helpful to get a full picture out there.

I hope your car is repaired to your satisfaction.
Sponsored