Sponsored

Do you change your own oil?

Jdenkevitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby GT PP. Former 2016 Ecoboost owner.
Why or why not?

If you don't, how do you verify the shop used the correct oil/filter, or if they even did the work?
Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I haven't so far. For $40 and less I've got no issue taking it to the dealership and having a record of the changes there in case anything does happen with the engine. I don't envision that, but for the convenience of not having to do it and worry about disposal about at my apartment (where they don't want us working on cars anyway), it is worth it.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I do it at home. Its less $$, I can verify what goes in the engine is what I paid for, that the oil filter is properly tightened, and that nothing gets cross threaded.

I only usually cover about half my body with old motor oil in the process.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Always have.

Cheaper and less hassle than having to set appointments up. Plus I know what was done and can eyeball everything else while I'm under there.

Gman

Gman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic Mustang
I have always done my own. Done right and I know what I paid is mine. I only use Mobile 1

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Curious - for those who have “always” changed the oil yourself, any issues with warranty work pertaining to engine?

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
Curious - for those who have “always” changed the oil yourself, any issues with warranty work pertaining to engine?
You can log your own DIY services into MyCarFax.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
Always. I don't trust letting someone else do it. No better way to make sure it's done right than doing it yourself.

Saves money also.

TripleYellow5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow 5.0
I don't change the oil in my 5.0. I let the dealer do it. I get 8 quarts of oil and a filter for 39.99, and I get to watch the process in the bay, nothing better.

The 96 is done at home.

Sponsored

CompOface

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Comp Orange / Daily 2010 F-150 5.4L
Yes always, in everything I own. Know its done right, caps tight, nothing cross threaded, oil separator checked/drained if you got it, get what you spec, and its a bit therapeutic as well! Not to mention it never hurts to lay eyes on your spent oil.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I do my own. They originally didn't tighten my oil filter tight enough from the factory so I had a little oil leak coming from the filter. Now that I changed the oil, it was done right and tightened right, and I added a Femco valve for future oil changes being simple.

Also, I got to put my own oil in it which I went with full synthetic Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. Steeda jacking rails also make lifting the car a cake walk so why not?

ValidusTalon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP + FRPP2
I prefer to change it myself. Aside from all the horror stories about issues at dealerships, and personal preferences on materials (I am admittedly very picky on that as well), it's like a therapy session for me or something. A few minutes where things can slow down a bit, I putter around the car, check stuff out, just enjoy doing it. It's a rare bit in time where I'm not going in 40 different directions at once!

I simply wouldn't be willing to trade that for the anxiety of letting someone else do it who simply wants my car off the lift so he / she can move on to the next one...

Rodan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
I always do my own, for most of the reasons mentioned. I don't care about cheaper, I care about right. I keep a notebook with records of maintenance, and a file with receipts.

BTW, the Mustang makes for quite a mess. Thanks, engineers... :p

And the PP strut brace is perfectly placed, directly over the dipstick. Thanks, again...

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Nope.

However, I've never had a warrantied engine failure or serious engine issue either...just random leaks from front covers, seals, and such.
Sponsored