First oil change - what would you do?

stevegt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT Premium. 2019 GT PP1 ordered
Check the dipstick to make sure they put 10 litres in there. Ask them to prime it by filling the oil filter. This is one car I would consider that mandatory.
Absolutely correct on prefilling the oil filter.
Sponsored

stevegt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Good grief who would wait 9,000 miles to change the oil in their brand new Mustang:crazy: Not very bright if you ask me.

I got 1,000 on mine and its going to the dealer tomorrow but I supply my own oil (Mobil 1) and Ford oil filter and they change it for me for $12 and they dispose of 10qts of oil so I dont think I can beat that anywhere and I get to watch them do it.:dance:
Have to agree on this one!

stevegt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Oil life meter still says 20%. If it was that important to do it early than Ford would recommend it - hell the dealer would love to take your oil change money early too. I changed the oil in my 06 at 500 miles, so yea I get it, but so many people don’t do that and have no probs. With the BBQ tick seemingly showing up for many after first oil change, I thought it was worth it to wait. I doubt it matters much either way.
People have reported having the tick before the first oil change and others have gotten it after several oil changes. I agree it doesn’t matter much either way. If you’re destined to get it you’re going to get it no matter when you change the oil.

It’s just really annoying that Ford hasn’t solved this one after producing the Coyote for 8 years now!

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Almost 9K miles on my 18GT and I haven't changed the oil yet. I'd usually do it at 1K, but I'm afraid of the dreaded BBQ tick so I waited. Now it's time - should I do it myself or let the dealer do it? Only reason I'm considering the dealer is if the tick shows up right after they can't blame me. Technically they can't blame me anyway, but that doesn't mean they won't try. What would you do?
I didn’t change the oil in my 2018 EB until 9k also - and had the Dealer do the oil change.... Also come to find out my first oil change was completely free because I had purchased the car from that Dealership.

There’s nothing wrong with waiting longer on an oil change, especially with newer, modern vehicles.

2019Moostang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I thought I read in the manual the first oil change is at 9K miles. Doesn't mean you have to wait that long. It also says based on your driving the oil life indicator will come on sooner than later. If your a fanatic like me, you'll change it every 3,000 miles just because. Then just reset the oil life to 100%.

Sponsored

JimsFury

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT (Grabber Lime), 1996 Ford Ranger
I thought I read in the manual the first oil change is at 9K miles. Doesn't mean you have to wait that long. It also says based on your driving the oil life indicator will come on sooner than later. If your a fanatic like me, you'll change it every 3,000 miles just because. Then just reset the oil life to 100%.

Changed mine yesterday at 992 miles, went with Mobil 1 and the Ford Oil Filter which is what I always use. On a new car I always change it early like that just to get the factory oil out of the car because there is no telling how long its been in there and I also do it to switch to what I think is the best oil to use.

mfoley13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium, 401a, A10, 3.55, Safe&Smart, AE
Changed mine yesterday as well @ 2,500 miles. Went with 5W30 Pennzoil Ultra Platinum with a Ford filter. Love the "quick plug" although the opening is big and it does dump that 10 qts quick, so watch out! The 30w oil did quiet the engine a bit, which I think is a good thing.

JimsFury

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT (Grabber Lime), 1996 Ford Ranger
Changed mine yesterday as well @ 2,500 miles. Went with 5W30 Pennzoil Ultra Platinum with a Ford filter. Love the "quick plug" although the opening is big and it does dump that 10 qts quick, so watch out! The 30w oil did quiet the engine a bit, which I think is a good thing.
I gotta admit I was wondering about that 5W20 but I went ahead with it, I may try 5W30 next time...

OldGuy2018GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT V-8 Premium
We have an extended warranty so our oil change intervals are every 5000 miles or 5 months.
Plus with all the electronics on this beast doesn't hurt to have the tech hook it up to his software for upgrades
and/or abnormalities.

OP
OP

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
Finally changed the oil - pretty easy. No tick after, so fingers crossed. I know it's probably my imagination, but I swear it's actually a bit quieter now.
Sponsored