Sponsored

Do you change your own oil?

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
You can log your own service on owner.ford.com. Add a service record. Do that or just keep a notebook.
Sponsored

Nitronorth

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rock
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Auto
Always forever! nothing wrong with the dealer, I just dont need the bother of going across town for something so simple I can do and save a few bucks for the pub.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
It's so easy why wouldn't you do it yourself?
Plus they can't avoid your warranty because you did your own oil change. They have to test your oil. If lack of maintenance, they have to prove it before denying warranty.

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
I’m gonna let them do the first one so they can’t blame me if the BBQ tick appears. After that I’ll do my own. Makes for a fun morning tinkering with my car - one of the reasons I love Mustangs. I usually did the oil myself on my 06 as well.

SnakeAndSteak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
I started changing my own fluids back in the late 80's. I still do my own, my parent's and my GF's. I know it's done right.

Sponsored

reek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I do all of my oil/maintenance on all of my equipment: cars, log splitter, mower, tractor, motorcycles etc. rather than looking at it as a required chore I see it as a owner's responsibility and bonding time with my equipment so I know them like the back of my hand. each maintenance session is an opportunity to give everything the once over. having a 4 post lift also makes everything easier too.

wife says I spend too much time in my shop "polishing the Ninja".

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
I change it in my Tacoma but not the Mustang. I've done it many, many times but I just dont particularly like laying under cars. It's just a mental thing. My truck doesnt require any raising to get under it.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
I change my own oil, always have. I dont trust just any old joe blow working on my car. If there is other work to be done that i cant do, I have people who live and breathe Mustangs to do the work..so far my tuner and my mustang mechanic are the only ones that have touched my car. And thats all upgrade work.

Bravo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Turbo Box
A lot of dealers will offer the first oil change free - I usually take a new car in early for that change (2-3K miles) to get rid of any metal from machining imperfections.

After that first oil change, I do my own, and pull the oil with a fluid extractor. Both of my vehicles currently have top mounted oil filters, which are amazing. With a Mustang, I'd still have to lift one side to access the filter, but it could be worse.

OP
OP
Jdenkevitz

Jdenkevitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby GT PP. Former 2016 Ecoboost owner.
[ame]

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Why or why not?

If you don't, how do you verify the shop used the correct oil/filter, or if they even did the work?
I'd been doing all of the oil changes on every car we've ever owned up until we got her Subie. At which point I was 62 and she was hoping I could start getting away from having to do all of that kind of stuff.

That lasted for exactly three oil & filter changes by the dealership, when two of those jobs ended up like this because the filters were crimped on installation by some moron with either the wrong tool or a tool he didn't know how to use properly. A thousand miles later, the smell of burning oil.

picture.jpg

So I'm at "almost always have, always will".

Norm

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Do my own oil changes. The Stang sits pretty low so in order to get it on ramps I have to put a piece of wood on the ground right before the ramps so it isn't such a rapid incline. If not using ramps, the Steeda jacking rails make for a quick oil change.

The Jeep is a little easier to do oil changes on. It's got a lift and big tires so no jacks or ramps needed. It sits so tall you can actually use a creeper or chair up under there comfortably. It's nice lol.

Anyone can do an oil change. It's easy peazy. Whether someone wants to put in the effort or just pay someone is the deciding factor. Working on your car eventually takes a toll on your body. Contorting your body to get at hard to reach parts of a vehicle for example. I've spilled quite a bit of sweat and blood working on my vehicles. Countless sliced fingers, beat up knuckles, etc. Invest in some good antibacterial gel and a lot of band aids lol. Disposable gloves too.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I'd been doing all of the oil changes on every car we've ever owned up until we got her Subie. At which point I was 62 and she was hoping I could start getting away from having to do all of that kind of stuff.

That lasted for exactly three oil & filter changes by the dealership, when two of those jobs ended up like this because the filters were crimped on installation by some moron with either the wrong tool or a tool he didn't know how to use properly. A thousand miles later, the smell of burning oil.

picture.jpg

So I'm at "almost always have, always will".

Norm
At least with the filter for Subies it's super easy being on top.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
At least with the filter for Subies it's super easy being on top.
Ummmm, no. Not on the 2.5GT, anyway. It's down underneath on the passenger side, and there's a lower splash guard you have to remove to get at the filter and the drain plug. Having to remove that plastic panel was the main reason I was even willing to let the shop do the job at all.

Norm

Rickycardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT auto
Just got my last freebie oil change from the dealer and will be doing it myself from now on. I've done a lot all my life so I'm knowledgeable about it but one question:
I have a non-PP, do I need to drop the belly pan? I haven't had it up to look yet.
Sponsored