Sponsored

Do you change your own oil?

5ABI VT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Do it myself. Always have always will. Rather sell my car before I let a dealer touch it. Definitely keep records of oil purchase and take pics etc too just for records and helpful when selling.
Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Always have. Takes same or less time than taking it in somewhere. It's never done by someone who just got dumped or is hung over or .... I've never bumped into something when done, never put in the wrong oil or wrong amount of oil or over/under tightened the filter. etc, etc.

tranceporter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport
I've been changing my own oil since I started driving. It's just quicker, safer, and cheaper than taking it to the dealer or any of those quick lube places.

2018OFPP1?2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
'92 LX 5.0 Vert, 2018 GT PP2
Why or why not?

If you don't, how do you verify the shop used the correct oil/filter, or if they even did the work?
Usually do my own because I don't like unqualified, disinterested, monkeys, breaking my stuff.

Two stripped/crossthreaded drain plugs, and a broken power steering cap retainer make me loath to let anyone touch my vehicles. I mean, how do you break a cap retainer except intentionally? These days, odds are they will f up your stuff, and then claim they didn't do it.

Carzzi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Rapid Red 401A PP1 A10 Magneride
I use this Fumoto F107SX M12-1.75 Sx Series Drain Valve...
http://a.co/hVqhYK5
... for easy oil drain.
The filteris easy to replace too, with a plastic access panel held by a small bolt on the driver's side underbody.

Sponsored

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
Yeah I do because I use Red Line Oil exclusively now. I also have the Femco quick drains so it's a 1 beer job...

Brazos609

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP Recaro
I used to always do my own but for the Mustang I will be letting Ford do it. For $33 per visit I can get an oil change, tire rotation, a new set of wipers every other visit, a state inspection sticker each year... That is a hard deal to pass up. I get my Jeep done by Jeep for $27 per visit.

jimmerheck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Cal Special
a lot of people dont know that sometimes dealers give you an "oil change" but dont change the filter...I've had it happen to some friends that have bought or gotten a free "oil change" package when they bought the car and found out later, oil filter not included.

tranceporter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport
a lot of people dont know that sometimes dealers give you an "oil change" but dont change the filter...I've had it happen to some friends that have bought or gotten a free "oil change" package when they bought the car and found out later, oil filter not included.
That is completely ridiculous but not surprising in the least.

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Guard Metallic
I take mine with the new oil and filter to our local Chevy dealer. My family has been friends with the service manager for years. Cost me $12.50. I think if i had the PP access pan I'd do it myself.

Sponsored

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
I like to do it myself when the car is new and I'm getting to know it. After it's been around a while, I'm more likely to take it to a place I trust and let an experienced mechanic get a good look and tell me if he sees anything developing that he doesn't like.

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
I do. Always have. Never had a warranty issue but then again, I have yet to have an engine require warranty work. Knock on wood.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Yes. For the reason that if I want it done right, do it myself. I'll do everything myself up to software/major engine things. Even then I'd do some it. I'm at 59k miles and it runs amazing. Oil changes typically at 7,500 miles, Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W30 and FL 500S filter. The Fumoto valve makes it really easy. I also do used oil analysis every other change.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I try to do everything myself. Ive watched so called mechanics do a worse job than myself. And act like they are doing you a favor with their shit work.

scrubber3

Hopper, is that you?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Shadow Black. 2001 Jeep XJ 4x4
I do all my own stunts...
Sponsored