Sponsored

First oil change - what would you do?

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
Almost 9K miles on my 18GT and I haven't changed the oil yet. I'd usually do it at 1K, but I'm afraid of the dreaded BBQ tick so I waited. Now it's time - should I do it myself or let the dealer do it? Only reason I'm considering the dealer is if the tick shows up right after they can't blame me. Technically they can't blame me anyway, but that doesn't mean they won't try. What would you do?
Sponsored

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible, 2006 GT Coupe
I always take min to the dealer. Now more so, because I don't have anywhere I can dispose of 10 quarts of old oil.

66Bronc1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JT
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I would do my own as I always do. Just document the date, miles, oil and viscosity used, brand, etc. And save the receipts as well. An oil change is an oil change, regardless of who does it.

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
If you DIY just go to the Ford owners website (owner.ford.com) and document your owner service. It will show up in your service history if you need to take it in.

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
Let the dealer do the first one for sure. If you get the dreaded tick, they're the ones that did the oil change, which will clearly be documented.

Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Almost 9K miles on my 18GT and I haven't changed the oil yet. I'd usually do it at 1K, but I'm afraid of the dreaded BBQ tick so I waited. Now it's time - should I do it myself or let the dealer do it? Only reason I'm considering the dealer is if the tick shows up right after they can't blame me. Technically they can't blame me anyway, but that doesn't mean they won't try. What would you do?
How will they know you changed it ? Analyze oil ? Doubt it. Use the OEM filter and you're good (I was just playing with buttons and inadvertently reset oil life) - if they even try. I changed mine after 1.5k miles - only problem is - with this new plastic plug, oil comes out real fast - it was too much for my pan to handle in a short time and ended up with a little bit of a mess.

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Check the dipstick to make sure they put 10 litres in there. Ask them to prime it by filling the oil filter. This is one car I would consider that mandatory.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Quit worrying about ticks and change the damn oil. Do it yourself and save about $100 bucks. The car is under warranty. What is there to be afraid of?

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w-20, Ford filter, Femco Valve install. Profit.

OP
OP

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Quit worrying about ticks and change the damn oil. Do it yourself and save about $100 bucks. The car is under warranty. What is there to be afraid of?
I like that answer. Done.

Sponsored

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
I was going to let the dealer do it, but picked up a great deal on Pennzoil Ultra off Amazon. Easy job with oil filter trap door on pp1 car. Did mine @ 3100 miles. No regrets.

JimsFury

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT (Grabber Lime), 1996 Ford Ranger
Good grief who would wait 9,000 miles to change the oil in their brand new Mustang:crazy: Not very bright if you ask me.

I got 1,000 on mine and its going to the dealer tomorrow but I supply my own oil (Mobil 1) and Ford oil filter and they change it for me for $12 and they dispose of 10qts of oil so I dont think I can beat that anywhere and I get to watch them do it.:dance:

OP
OP

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good grief who would wait 9,000 miles to change the oil in their brand new Mustang:crazy: Not very bright if you ask me.
Oil life meter still says 20%. If it was that important to do it early than Ford would recommend it - hell the dealer would love to take your oil change money early too. I changed the oil in my 06 at 500 miles, so yea I get it, but so many people don’t do that and have no probs. With the BBQ tick seemingly showing up for many after first oil change, I thought it was worth it to wait. I doubt it matters much either way.

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Oil life meter still says 20%. If it was that important to do it early than Ford would recommend it - hell the dealer would love to take your oil change money early too. I changed the oil in my 06 at 500 miles, so yea I get it, but so many people don’t do that and have no probs. With the BBQ tick seemingly showing up for many after first oil change, I thought it was worth it to wait. I doubt it matters much either way.

I actually get where he is coming from. Nowhere does it say change the oil at 1500 miles. So follow the book and see what happens. The car is more than broken in now so if no tick after the oil change we may be calling the OP a genius... :clap:
Sponsored