Coyote Longevity Prospects

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
What does the hive mind say about the long-term prospects for Coyote engines? I'm not talking outright lemons or failures on the track or from other hard use, but 'normal' driving with occasional mild hooning. I'd like to hear from owners with 100K or more miles on their cars, of any generation of Coyote but especially the Gen 3.

I traded-in my '08 Bullitt with the 4.6L for my '19 Bullitt at 124K miles. All I did for the 4.6 was change oil and filter at 6K miles, changed air and cabin filters when needed and put in new plugs at about 90K miles, and of course tires. After break-in it used about a quart of 5W-20 between changes of mostly highway miles. I may have changed brake fluid once but don't recall for sure, and I put Royal Purple SynchroMesh in the gearbox early on. It ran flawlessly right up until trade-in, and still had the original clutch and brake pads with plenty of meat on them.

The new Bullitt has been relegated to mostly long road trip usage as I have a couple other DDs and a couple old British sports cars to play with. It currently has about 20K miles and will likely only get a couple thousand miles a year. I get free oil changes from the dealer at 5mos/5K miles, but I only take it in when the oil gets a bit dark (I'm guessing it's also using 1qt/6K miles). I'm 69YO and expect (hope) to drive this car until 'the end.'
Sponsored

illadvised

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian Spilner
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - 6R80 - Paxton 2200SL
My 2015 GT is I think a bit over 120k miles now, I have a supercharger and beat on it pretty hard.

I use walmarts supertech brand of synthetic 5w-20 oil (usually under $20 for 5qts) and change it regularly. I do not burn a drop of oil and it drives great. Typewriter tick though

I bought my car for around 20k and treat it as such. I daily drive it everywhere in all weather, leave it parked on the street, let family drive etc etc.

Deleted member 69033

Hopefully lots, because I dd mine and I'm expecting 150k minimum. I see no reason why that shouldn't be attainable.

Sponsored

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
My 2015 GT is I think a bit over 120k miles now, I have a supercharger and beat on it pretty hard.

I use walmarts supertech brand of synthetic 5w-20 oil (usually under $20 for 5qts) and change it regularly. I do not burn a drop of oil and it drives great. Typewriter tick though

I bought my car for around 20k and treat it as such. I daily drive it everywhere in all weather, leave it parked on the street, let family drive etc etc.
How long have you been boosted?

illadvised

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian Spilner
Vehicle(s)
How long have you been boosted?
Not long, I was finalizing the tune the same week I hit 100k. The way I see it is even if I need to buy a block tomorrow, I'm still ahead a lot of guys price wise

Everything runs great and I keep up with maintenance, but I'm saving up for a built block anyways

willymo72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang
It's not the motor I'd worry about, moreso the cheap interior bits deteriorating and falling apart. Everytime I see the interior of a 100k+ mile mustang compared to something like a Toyota I cringe.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Even though they’re tuned differently, remember that these engines are in the F-150’s too, Ford’s big money maker. They’re built to handle it for a long time (Ford Tough if you will 😁), same as GM’s approach with the LS motors. Proper maintenance and you should be good to go for a long time. As mentioned above, I’d be more concerned about the plastic bits breaking and crumbling before I worry about my engine (I DD mine and will drive spirited and will occasionally do an HPDE event next year but I don’t track it hard or anything like that). I expect mine to last a long time.

illadvised

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian Spilner
Vehicle(s)
It's not the motor I'd worry about, moreso the cheap interior bits deteriorating and falling apart. Everytime I see the interior of a 100k+ mile mustang compared to something like a Toyota I cringe.
True. The chrome on the shifter is peeling, leather driver seat is starting to crack and the driver side window switch section pops off of the door easy (until I replace it or glue); but so far other than that, the interior is all still great.

As long as the main things work I'm happy. Plus it's 600+ hp. To me it's like the new foxbody, too cheap for the amount of horsepower potential

Last edited:

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
They're almost absurdly overbuilt for the hp they put out. At worst you might have cam phaser issues which aren't a big deal.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
What does the hive mind say about the long-term prospects for Coyote engines? I'm not talking outright lemons or failures on the track or from other hard use, but 'normal' driving with occasional mild hooning. I'd like to hear from owners with 100K or more miles on their cars, of any generation of Coyote but especially the Gen 3.

I traded-in my '08 Bullitt with the 4.6L for my '19 Bullitt at 124K miles. All I did for the 4.6 was change oil and filter at 6K miles, changed air and cabin filters when needed and put in new plugs at about 90K miles, and of course tires. After break-in it used about a quart of 5W-20 between changes of mostly highway miles. I may have changed brake fluid once but don't recall for sure, and I put Royal Purple SynchroMesh in the gearbox early on. It ran flawlessly right up until trade-in, and still had the original clutch and brake pads with plenty of meat on them.

The new Bullitt has been relegated to mostly long road trip usage as I have a couple other DDs and a couple old British sports cars to play with. It currently has about 20K miles and will likely only get a couple thousand miles a year. I get free oil changes from the dealer at 5mos/5K miles, but I only take it in when the oil gets a bit dark (I'm guessing it's also using 1qt/6K miles). I'm 69YO and expect (hope) to drive this car until 'the end.'
I had a 2011 Mustang GT that I bought brand new and beat on. MT82 w/ 3.73 rear. I sold it at 191K miles and it was still running great. It consumed a fair amount of oil it's entire life, but it always ran great. And the MT82 never failed me.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I traded my 2012 F150 5.0 at 295K The engine ran fine. Did not use oil. I did abuse it by hauling top soil and other heavy loads up and down our very hilly roads. I used it as a truck. I also tuned it and ran it down the drag strip, it ran high 13's at 99 Mph. Thank you 5 star. I also took it to a few HPDE events where it was a real attention getter.

I sold it due to rust issues, I sometimes wish I kept it.

I traded it on this 17 GT mustang thinking I no longer needed a truck. I shoulda kept it and bought the GT outright.

Now I'm looking for another truck and they are unobtainium, at least at a price point I'm willing to pay.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra

You can read through this thread which was 2015-2017 ownership input to get an idea:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2015-2017-s550-coyote-5-0-ownership-input.172517/

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
My issues up to 80k are one drivers side rear wheel bearing, a small tear in my driver's door panel where I rest my elbow, the dummy foot rest is broken in half, lost my counter weight on the mt82 and the normal dash rattles. Other than that my only issues are related to aftermarket parts. Nothing has ever left me stranded or in a tight spot. So I'd have to agree, the engine is strong but other little things will wear. Especially if you beat on it like myself.
Sponsored