Sponsored

BBQ tick - another attempt to understand

spogshd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I got my wires crossed, about the piston slap, he said he didn't think it was piston slap. No borescope was used just a stethoscope. This report was done not to find out what the cause is but more what it isn't. Ford said its the bottom end and it was caused by the tune, and its not the case as there is nothing wrong with the bottom end in the inspectors eyes.
This report is more about taking the dealer who sold the car to court, as the inspector has proof that other cars have had the blocks changed for the same thing and they never had a tune, now he wants them to tear it down and prove its the tune that caused it, plus he wants to be present when they do or if they do.
If ford agree to change it then I guess we'll not know what the cause was. I will copy the report and post it here when its finished.
Sponsored

MasterCylinder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(sold)17 GT
Ok so my 2 cents.
My tick, present at start up pretty loud type writer would dissipate after the car was at temp. Change oil again this time with castrol edge 5w-30 and a bottle of ceratec. Tick almost gone. I can still cause it a little bit with short accelerator jabs but, the tick at cold start is completely gone.

It did take a day or two to be completely silent, but I'm happy with the results. car feels fine. So another one for ceratec!

I bet if you put 5w-20 back in it will come back.

Toro73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Gt auto 400A Package factory 20's
I bet if you put 5w-20 back in it will come back.
Maybe, I did try Driven FR50 5w-50 racing oil wish is formulated specially for Coyote engines and I had used for my 2017 procharged Gt and the tick did not go away. But It did go with the Ceratec additive, so there's that.

Believe me I'm still very weary about all this and I'm sure that the tick will eventually come back once the additive starts to wear off. My concerns is if there is actual damage occurring with this tick. Or, is just that you got the block with larger clearance, but still in spec so your SOL, enjoy the typewriter in your engine deal.

Time will tell

Sponsored

djk99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP2 GT
Mine started with cold starts only, now cold or warm from idle to 2000 rpm sounds like this. Past 2000 rpm still there but exhaust drowns out the noise. Currently at dealer waiting for Ford to advise.

Toro73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Gt auto 400A Package factory 20's
Mine started with cold starts only, now cold or warm from idle to 2000 rpm sounds like this. Past 2000 rpm still there but exhaust drowns out the noise. Currently at dealer waiting for Ford to advise.

Yeap! that's it. As other here I used ceratec and the bbq will not be present at idle, but, with a little bit of rpm I still hear it, but once warm, it will not present at all in my case. Lets see what your dealer says and do. Keep us posted!

Sponsored

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
Here's a crazy idea. How about the oil pump causing the "BBQ Tick"?

Cavitation, or maybe some ratcheting?

I posted that a few days ago here in another thread. It sounds pretty close, nearly the same, but why they all don't do it is the question, and another thing to consider is that they don't show in the video, does it get faster and more repetitive between 650-2000 rpm ?

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Here's another interesting video. It would explain why it would tick badly on a fresh oil change at first, then slowly go away as the oil ages and sludge builds up in the oil. This may also explain why higher viscosity oils will still tick but be quieter than 5w20. It could be the oil will make no noise upon initial startup.

As an example, this is exactly what happens to my car. Upon staring the engine when cold, it makes absolutely NO TICKING noises. But, within 30-60 seconds, as it slowly heats up, the ticking slowly starts to become noticeable, and is most noticeable when the engine is up to full operating temperature.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Here's another interesting video. It would explain why it would tick badly on a fresh oil change at first, then slowly go away as the oil ages and sludge builds up in the oil.
Semi-synthetic and full synthetic oil doesn't "sludge" in less than 10K miles. Most motor oils thin down in viscosity from miles due to shearing from the engine. Motorcraft seems to shear down quite a bit, that's why I'm changing to Valvoline full synthetic.
Sponsored