BBQ tick - another attempt to understand

codegrinder

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 OW PP GT (lemon buy back) 2018 Charger Hellcat
Just a quick update, without tearing it down the inspector is leaning towards piston slap on cylinder 3. Ford uk have replaced around 6 or 7 for this bbq tick.
Question is why is it cylinder 3, can someone else pull the coil on cylinder 3 who has the tick and tell us if it goes away. We have two so far.

Mine was cylinder #4 that they pulled the coil on and the knocking-ticking went away.

Now I have a new short block. I wonder how long I should give it to break it in? I was also thinking about going with thicker oil.

Advertisement

Toro73

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Gt auto 400A Package factory 20's
Ok so my 2 cents.
My tick, present at start up pretty loud type writer would dissipate after the car was at temp. Change oil again this time with castrol edge 5w-30 and a bottle of ceratec. Tick almost gone. I can still cause it a little bit with short accelerator jabs but, the tick at cold start is completely gone.

It did take a day or two to be completely silent, but I'm happy with the results. car feels fine. So another one for ceratec!

spogshd

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I got my wires crossed, about the piston slap, he said he didn't think it was piston slap. No borescope was used just a stethoscope. This report was done not to find out what the cause is but more what it isn't. Ford said its the bottom end and it was caused by the tune, and its not the case as there is nothing wrong with the bottom end in the inspectors eyes.
This report is more about taking the dealer who sold the car to court, as the inspector has proof that other cars have had the blocks changed for the same thing and they never had a tune, now he wants them to tear it down and prove its the tune that caused it, plus he wants to be present when they do or if they do.
If ford agree to change it then I guess we'll not know what the cause was. I will copy the report and post it here when its finished.

MasterCylinder

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
Ok so my 2 cents.
My tick, present at start up pretty loud type writer would dissipate after the car was at temp. Change oil again this time with castrol edge 5w-30 and a bottle of ceratec. Tick almost gone. I can still cause it a little bit with short accelerator jabs but, the tick at cold start is completely gone.

It did take a day or two to be completely silent, but I'm happy with the results. car feels fine. So another one for ceratec!

I bet if you put 5w-20 back in it will come back.

Toro73

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I bet if you put 5w-20 back in it will come back.
Maybe, I did try Driven FR50 5w-50 racing oil wish is formulated specially for Coyote engines and I had used for my 2017 procharged Gt and the tick did not go away. But It did go with the Ceratec additive, so there's that.

Believe me I'm still very weary about all this and I'm sure that the tick will eventually come back once the additive starts to wear off. My concerns is if there is actual damage occurring with this tick. Or, is just that you got the block with larger clearance, but still in spec so your SOL, enjoy the typewriter in your engine deal.

Time will tell

DrGrabster

UK Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes E63 Estate. 5.5L biturbo V8 rwd
Still no ticks reported by right hand drive UK or Aussie members (except for one guy with a knackered engine). Perhaps Ford supplies RHD cars with added additives from the factory?
UK and Australia even use different grades of oil, 5W-20 for UK and 5W-30 for Australia.
Cars supplied to Sweden and Germany seem to suffer the same as USA ones.

Very odd, but there has to be some compensation for only getting a weedy 444 hp.

djk99

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP2 GT
Mine started with cold starts only, now cold or warm from idle to 2000 rpm sounds like this. Past 2000 rpm still there but exhaust drowns out the noise. Currently at dealer waiting for Ford to advise.

Toro73

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine started with cold starts only, now cold or warm from idle to 2000 rpm sounds like this. Past 2000 rpm still there but exhaust drowns out the noise. Currently at dealer waiting for Ford to advise.

Yeap! that's it. As other here I used ceratec and the bbq will not be present at idle, but, with a little bit of rpm I still hear it, but once warm, it will not present at all in my case. Lets see what your dealer says and do. Keep us posted!

Advertisement

15 - Steeda - 5

Advertisement