Sponsored

BBQ tick - another attempt to understand

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
So I now have a Ford work order in my car's history that says I have the tick, they know it's there, and I can try Cera Tech with no worries about warranty down the road if the Cera Tech does not work. Figure that covers my bases.....
Brother if you have legit engine problems that you "think" warrants a new block, there is no oil additive in the world that will fix your engine.
Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
So, if the TSB for the Powerstrokes talks about "The relationship between the oil film, crankshaft journals, bearing inserts and engine cylinder block produces a sound that is heard as a ticking noise", then is it actual metal contact causing noise, or possibly a varying oil flow passage from shaft movement causing cavitation/noise somehow?

I ask this, because if the whole crank was slapping the end of the block for a metal to metal contact, I'm just not certain it would sound like a sharp tick...instead more like a clank, imo. That's a pretty big hunk 'o steel.
Hard to say exactly what parts contacting each other while the engine was running would sound like.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/how-excessive-is-this-rod.108361/

I would think if it was actually oil cavitation in the bearings, that other than a few engine models in the world would also exhibit the BBQ ticking noise.

Maybe it's oil cavitation that causes rods with excessive side clearance to move around and collide with the side of the crank journals.

OP
OP
accel

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Brother if you have legit engine problems that you "think" warrants a new block, there is no oil additive in the world that will fix your engine.
Yes, this is common opinion.

Here's the guy with the tick who had ceratec in for thousands of miles. He's changing oil to one without crratec and no tick. So if more people try this we can get more statistics.

NIXPP2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
18' PP2 Shadow Black
Vehicle Showcase

Here's the guy with the tick who had ceratec in for thousands of miles. He's changing oil to one without crratec and no tick. So if more people try this we can get more statistics.

I added 2 bottles of ceratec and never heard another tick after that. It went away almost instantly. Sure didn't help my piston slap/scored cylinders and now I have a new long block. No bbq tick yet at 400 miles on this one. Still lots of other noises, loud DI, rhythmic tic, drive line noises, ect. No bbq tick though ;) .

OP
OP
accel

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
I added 2 bottles of ceratec and never heard another tick after that. It went away almost instantly. Sure didn't help my piston slap/scored cylinders and now I have a new long block. No bbq tick yet at 400 miles on this one. Still lots of other noises, loud DI, rhythmic tic, drive line noises, ect. No bbq tick though ;) .
That guy added ceratec, kept it for thouthands miles, then replaced with oil without ceratec.

Sponsored

NIXPP2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
18' PP2 Shadow Black
Vehicle Showcase
That guy added ceratec, kept it for thouthands miles, then replaced with oil without ceratec.
I hadn't watched the video, just did. I used the stuff in my 335 prior to the mustang with similar results. It ran cooler, smoother and quieter. I'm not an additive guy, I'm a "what is the best oil I can possibly buy" guy. I now swear by the ceratec. I think each bottle was to treat 5 litres, which is why I went with two. I've got one in the new engine, if I don't get the tick I'll leave it at that. So far so good.

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
I added created last oil change and the ticking stopped. Just had the oil changed at the dealer as usual and within a day the ticking is back and just as worse. Good thing is the new ssm should not apply to me as they already acknowledged the problem with timing chain tensioners being replaced a month ago. I

I enjoy heated confrontations anyways so I look forward to it.

OP
OP
accel

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
I hadn't watched the video, just did. I used the stuff in my 335 prior to the mustang with similar results. It ran cooler, smoother and quieter. I'm not an additive guy, I'm a "what is the best oil I can possibly buy" guy. I now swear by the ceratec. I think each bottle was to treat 5 litres, which is why I went with two. I've got one in the new engine, if I don't get the tick I'll leave it at that. So far so good.
I'm not the additive guy either. But I guess ford's ssm leaves me with no other options.

Last edited:

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

He also changed oil brand and weight (went to a 5W-30), so hard to say if the Ceratec is still working from the first treatment and/or the new 5W-30 has a factor in it also. If he would have used the exact oil he did before it would have been a better test on the Ceratac lasting or not. The 5W-30 oil he used might have a lot of Moly in it, which I think would help with reducing friction like the Ceratec does.

Last edited:

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
He also changed oil brand and weight (went to a 5W-30), so hard to say if the Ceratec is still working from the first treatment and/or the new 5W-30 has a factor in it also. If he would have used the exact oil he did before it would have been a better test on the Ceratac lasting or not. The 5W-30 oil he used might have a lot of Moly in it, which I think would help with reducing friction like the Ceratec does.
It's also possible his tick just went away regardless if ceretac was used or not.

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's also possible his tick just went away regardless if ceretac was used or not.
Maybe ... but everything I've read here about the BBQ tick is if it does go away it's many thousand miles after the oil change, not right after an oil change.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
Definitely not. Its my video and I had the tapping for like 1500 miles and through 2 oil changes before adding the ceratec, the ceratec is definitely what fixed it and amsoil alone wouldnt fix it im 95% sure. Its still not tapping so far with about 900 miles on the new ceratec-free oil too.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Definitely not. Its my video and I had the tapping for like 1500 miles and through 2 oil changes before adding the ceratec, the ceratec is definitely what fixed it and amsoil alone wouldnt fix it im 95% sure. Its still not tapping so far with about 900 miles on the new ceratec-free oil too.
Probably so ... but in any experiment it's best to change only one variable at a time to determine what's causing what.

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
Maybe ... but everything I've read here about the BBQ tick is if it does go away it's many thousand miles after the oil change, not right after an oil change.
Mine comes and goes, when it comes hardly noticeable, other days not a peep.. Im about 800 miles into full synthetic.

You're taking a guess, lot of folks online (SVT) have stated one day it went away and never came back as well. It's possible, but it's just a guess. My tick comes and goes .. and comes... and goes...

How many miles on your car and how many oil changes are you doing? I'm curious because I know each time you change the oil, your stripping the previous detergents and protection away, and the oil has to get to work all over again. Which some suggest changing it to often is not good and could increase wear.

Let's be me clear here. Ceratec, didn't fix anything. If your engine is damaged, it is damaged and no additive will fix that. I understand it no longer ticks, but the tick and engine damage is 2 different things IMHO.

Last edited:
OP
OP
accel

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Let's be me clear here. Ceratec, didn't fix anything. If your engine is damaged, it is damaged and no additive will fix that. I understand it no longer ticks, but the tick and engine damage is 2 different things IMHO.
What are you talking about? Ford ssm'd you tick had no associated damage long or short term. You seemed to be finally enjoying (and encouraging others) your car.
Sponsored