OP
OP
stang17

stang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP
I'd be surprised if you couldn't find someone to give you close to $5k for the aluminator as it sits. Take that money and buy a new one with a warranty (for what that's worth). It doesn't seem like they are quoting for anything more than returning it to it's original condition.
Basically original condition with the upgraded cometic MLX gaskets, ARP head studs, and a new set of total seal rings.
Sponsored

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Right now, it's like right in the middle of a new shortblock cost/price.

Let's say after EVERYTHING ends up being done/replaced and the price comes out to $10k, you'd probably look back with regret that you didn't just buy a new shortblock, built to your liking.

At $5k, it's cheaper to repair, but who knows what it will finally cost.

OP
OP
stang17

stang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP
Holbrook already has the motor completely broken down and the quote is the final cost. I had exchanged emails with Ford Performance and it appears $2,815 of the cost is to be absorbed by Ford for the inspection, washing, disassembly, reassembly, and shipping costs. So end of the day I'll be out about $2,700 plus the $1,400 for engine removal and install costs. So about $4,100 on my end and I'll have the upgraded head studs, gaskets, and rings. Sucks for sure, but could have been worse.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I thought I saw honing of the cylinders on the invoice and no new pistons. I'd be worried about piston fit if they do indeed hone them. De-glaze is what would be needed if the cylinders and pistons are in good shape.

Sponsored

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
Holbrook already has the motor completely broken down and the quote is the final cost. I had exchanged emails with Ford Performance and it appears $2,815 of the cost is to be absorbed by Ford for the inspection, washing, disassembly, reassembly, and shipping costs. So end of the day I'll be out about $2,700 plus the $1,400 for engine removal and install costs. So about $4,100 on my end and I'll have the upgraded head studs, gaskets, and rings. Sucks for sure, but could have been worse.
It appears a tune that was to much for the motor was ran (not pointing fingers at who's fault), and Ford.is still warranting a good portion of it; makes the aluminator option sound even better.

DonnieO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donnie
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt cs
I thought I saw honing of the cylinders on the invoice and no new pistons. I'd be worried about piston fit if they do indeed hone them. De-glaze is what would be needed if the cylinders and pistons are in good shape.
The cylinder probably had some uneven wear. Im sure they checked the cylinders with a bore gauge. A bigger ptw clearance would be just fine with boost.

DonnieO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donnie
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt cs
That's awesome to hear they are paying for some of it. They could have very easily said no.

vtknight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
We don't know each other - but I will go out on a limb and say this isn't your first rodeo? I say that - because in order to really be into modding - you have to take that reasonable attitude. SO good on you...and I hope it all works out. Seems reasonable from my perspective...

NotagainV2

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
19 F150 19 Explorer 04 Thunderbird
It appears a tune that was to much for the motor was ran (not pointing fingers at who's fault), and Ford.is still warranting a good portion of it; makes the aluminator option sound even better.
This maybe the best point of the whole thread. I am impressed they are paying a dime.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
stang17

stang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP
To give everyone an update, Holbrook also provided a new set of Manley Platinum extreme duty pistons with upgraded wrist pins at no additional cost ( I'm assuming they got Ford Performance to throw in $). I have about 5,500 miles on the new engine and everything has been running great.

PBD had sent me a new tune upon receipt of new engine and it was sent in hpt format by mistake instead of the usual .enc for Nguage. Using HP tuners to view change history and syncing up with emails...it appears knock sensors were completely turned off.

My buddy has PCM Tech workshop and was also able to read and pull the entire tune in case HP tuners was missing any tables like is the case when reading a whipple tune. From what we see, knock sensors were completely turned off.

PCM Tech is pretty bad ass. Can create your own OS ( basically what PBD and Lund use for their Matrix OS and Multi Tune). I will say after comparing a PBD tune and Lund tune with PCM Tech, Lund appears to be vastly more detailed.

I'm now running a Lund based tune, Fore Level 2 return system, and e85 ( Sheetz opened up within 2 miles of my home).

I haven't been back on dyno, but HP tuner data logs are pegging MAF 86.69 at about 7,200 rpm and car feels fast.

We have a private track rental at Numida dragstrip 5/5/23 9am to 3pm. I'll report back with how it does.

By the way, if anyone is local to Numidia dragstrip, we have 3 open spots for the track rental. It was $3,000 split 25 ways at $120 per racer. 1/4 mile, two lanes, fully prepped. Let me know if you would like to attend.

vaeevictiss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Holy shit. Nice necro first of all lol, but it is your thread. Its great reading this whole thing and there's a couple guys bitching about the tuners and then the guys bitching at the people bitching about tuners and turns out they were right. PBD turned off the KS. That's so fucking irresponsible. I wonder if you have any grounds for legal action. Especially since they were just gonna play it off like it was false knock that just magically went away hoping their locked tune would keep out any prying eyes.

Glad it sounds like you're all good now but I'm sure you spent way too much getting there. I have Sheetz here too but I don't trust their E85 being true E85 since it says something like "51%-83%". I dunno if that's what all E85 is, but when I go boost ill just run a conservative 650-700whp and 93.

This experience is enough to completely blacklist PBD. Granted, Rob left and who knows if he was to blame...

Last edited:
OP
OP
stang17

stang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP
Since it is so close to house, I'll usually take wife's SUV with my VP racing containers. Fill up, test at home, and then take my car back over to fill up. I have my nguage loaded with tunes for e70 through e85 with different stoich ratios. I've noticed that as long as e70 or better, I can run the same 21-22 timing Lund based tune without any knock other than the minimal 0.5 here and there on no lift WOT box shifts.

My buddy also has a rather fancy digital tester to confirm content.

IMG_5320.jpg

IMG_5317.jpg

IMG_5319.jpg

IMG_5316.jpg

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
With the massive investment and engineering Ford put into these engine management system, turning off the knock sensors is just inexcusable. Can you name the actual person that did this?

I am glad you have an awesome car to show for it now thou. Looking forward to so number from the track.

OP
OP
stang17

stang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP
See page 1 post #5.
Sponsored