Absolute mods with Ford Performance Track Handling Package

BimmerDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT convertible w/3 pedals, BMW M550i
Just ordered a Ford Performance Track Handling package because as a suspension novice, I know it will work together as a package.
Color me confused, as your profile says "2017 ... PP" and that's not good enough for you? What do you expect to achieve, for "enthusiastic street driving" other than poor ride quality? I'm a bit of a track rat, so I think I have a bit of a handle on what/why/how on performance improvements, but seriously, a base car with no modifications is more than adequate for any street driving.
Sponsored

Dave TBG

Patiently waiting...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 EB 201A, '86 Porsche 944
Color me confused, as your profile says "2017 ... PP" and that's not good enough for you? What do you expect to achieve, for "enthusiastic street driving" other than poor ride quality? I'm a bit of a track rat, so I think I have a bit of a handle on what/why/how on performance improvements, but seriously, a base car with no modifications is more than adequate for any street driving.
Really? I bought my EB to be my DD/commuter and decided against getting a EBPP because I knew it wouldn't be long before I replaced the suspension and wheels. They may be a step above the base, but it's a small step and I see nothing wrong with enjoying my commute.
OP, don't be like me, I'm the guy with camber plates on my dining room table waiting to be installed. I bought a bunch of parts and got tired of waiting so I made camber plated part of the "second wave," now the front end will have to come apart again.

Last edited:
OP
OP
skinnysaurus

skinnysaurus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
It seems like the bumps steer kit could be done at a later date. I was looking for suggestions of mods that should be down with the installation of the
I
Color me confused, as your profile says "2017 ... PP" and that's not good enough for you? What do you expect to achieve, for "enthusiastic street driving" other than poor ride quality? I'm a bit of a track rat, so I think I have a bit of a handle on what/why/how on performance improvements, but seriously, a base car with no modifications is more than adequate for any street driving.[/. I’m not looking for a cushy ride but I want it to be somewhat liveable while trying to flatten out the car
if you spend enough time in the PP, it def is not confidence inspiring at highway speeds over the bumps. Def some unsettling float in the suspension at times....that is the main thing I’m trying to get rid of. I have no other reference other than reading reviews and I think for me, the Ford track package is likely the answer. Most say it’s still very liveable as a DD and not harsh at all except over especially bad roads. I’m willling to sacrifice some comfort from the PP to flatten the car and get rid of the float.

Dave TBG I think I’m getting a set of camber plates as well since it’s been suggested by most and take it from there.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
The Base GT needs upgrades to be capable, even for the street. The Base GT with the OEM P-Zero Nero A/S tires can only pull 0.83g, probably worse than a Camry or an Accord.
On my 2015 the first year I had it, I didn't feel comfortable taking a 40mph speed limit corner. Other normal passenger cars would many times take the corner faster than me. For a sports car, that's pretty disheartening. Now i have no problem taking many of those corners at nearly double the speed limit and it's predictable. Now, granted once you get rid of 235 Pirelli AS tires I'm sure it gets a lot better, but the Base GT is very softly sprung and oddly still doesn't ride very good at all.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
The CB006 on a PP car does little to nothing, and yes I have it and drove with and without.
mine won't stay tight (EB). the bolts keep backing out. It seems better designed than the Steeda one (on my GT) but if the bolts won't stay put and it bangs/rattles, it doesn't exactly help.

PS. I'll have to look to see why it won't stay tight. Does it need thread-lock? lock washer?

If you want a IRS brace system go Whiteline (slip-on version). It's softer material than either of the Steeda or BMR (on my GT) and the noise level is vastly reduced.

The PP1 as delivered isn't as sad and pathetic as a stock GT but it's not remotely good. Even on the street. No, a stock car doesn't mean you'll be upside down on the wrong side of the Jersey Wall or anything like that.

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Honestly, in stock configuration, I have more confidence in my F150 in curves. I am really disappointed in the S550 mustang. It should be as good as an 08 Vette. But handles like a 70's Cadilac.

I've spent a lot of money and still don't feel confident in a constant radius high-speed curve. I can take this same curve at 120 in my truck and cannot take it at 100 in the mustang. Pathetic. I'd be selling this POS except for the fact I got it at a VERY good price. So I can justify several thousand dollars in improvements. That and it looks cool and I can get in and out of it and it is comfortable on long trips.

I want a McClaren F1 on a Ford pinto budget.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Honestly, in stock configuration, I have more confidence in my F150 in curves. I am really disappointed in the S550 mustang. It should be as good as an 08 Vette. But handles like a 70's Cadilac.

I've spent a lot of money and still don't feel confident in a constant radius high-speed curve. I can take this same curve at 120 in my truck and cannot take it at 100 in the mustang. Pathetic. I'd be selling this POS except for the fact I got it at a VERY good price. So I can justify several thousand dollars in improvements. That and it looks cool and I can get in and out of it and it is comfortable on long trips.

Dude, wait til you do some great suspension mods. Stiffer springs and better dampers totally change the car. Tires, alignment. If you go a little further and add some RLCA bearings, it's pretty sweet. It ain't a Corvette but the S550 can be pretty fast car, on the street and on the track. Unfortunately you have to undo or redo some of the things Ford did and I agree its disappointing. But don't give up because it'll reward you in the end.

Last edited:

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1

You aren’t wrong. My wife’s VW station wagon with a big rear swaybar was more confidence inspiring on public roads that my stock GT PP1.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase

To be fair I think it's all in the alignment. My car corners insane at the moment with just an alignment and a steeda camber plates and front swaybar. A long 180 degree corner was gotten at 144 km/h full throttle with this alignment the car corner insane no under or oversteer. So you just need the right alignment to have an amazing car.

Sponsored

mnm4ever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, MR2 Spyder, Sea Doo HX
I really don't get the complaints on confident handling. My stock PP1 handles amazingly well, track and street. The faster you go, the better it feels. Maybe you guys just aren't used to a little body roll? First time I had it on a track, once I got over the fear it would break loose and just went for it, it made me feel like a hero. Its a very capable car even in stock form. The best thing about the Mustang is you can mod it to your liking... parts are relatively cheap and easy to find.

My first track ride in a GT350 was right after I rode in a friend's Porsche 911 Turbo at Sebring. Riding in them back to back was awesome. The Porsche was extremely fast and just so smooth, like it was easy. The GT350 was also extremely fast, but felt almost violent in comparison. You could see it was a lot more work to drive it, but it also looked like a lot more fun. It doesn't handle like a German car, its more brutish.

For the OP's question, get the camber plates as planned. I did the same thing recently, but went with one of the Steeda kits. I got the Pro Active shocks/struts, fully assembled with the camber plates. I also got the G-Trak K-member brace, but that doesn't matter, can be added at any time. The only bad thing is to install them you will have to disassemble the struts. Maybe you have time to call Steeda and make the change?

IMG_6967.jpg
IMG_6968.jpg

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I really don't get the complaints on confident handling. My stock PP1 handles amazingly well, track and street. The faster you go, the better it feels.
I got the Pro Active shocks/struts, fully assembled with the camber plates.
soooo, why the change? I guess the PP1 wasn't really all that great in the final analysis?

mnm4ever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, MR2 Spyder, Sea Doo HX
soooo, why the change? I guess the PP1 wasn't really all that great in the final analysis?
Well that's a very good question! It was not about lack of confidence in the handling, its for comfort. And looks I guess.

I got new wider wheels and tires recently. Because of the new tires and wheels, the wheel gap was just a little too much for me. I didn't want to lower the car, but in the end I decided I was going to go for the minimal drop springs. After doing some research, it seems that putting lowering springs on the stock struts can cause some undesirable handling characteristics, especially on the track, and I do go to track days. But I also take my car on road trips and my wife thinks it rides too rough, especially over rough pavement and expansion joints. So I started looking at adjustables, and that led me to the Pro Active struts that Steeda sells. From what I have heard, these should give me more comfort for my wife and as good or better handling for track days for me. And well matched to the lowering springs. So then that led me to getting camber plates, and then some bracing, and likely more bracing to come.

I never said the car couldn't be improved on... any car can be improved on. I recently made the decision to keep the Mustang for at least 2-3 more years, so I wanted to spend a little money on it. But honestly in the end I wish I had just kept the same size wheels and therefore the same size tires and not felt the need to lower it and save myself a cpl grand in mods. I was pretty solidly happy with the stock PP suspension.

These Pro Actives better be darn near magical before my wife sees the credit card bills. :)

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
They're not IMO. They're KONIs with a softer edge to em. Still the same crashy tendency to them turned up, but like I said with a softer edge. You can do better in the damper department.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
These Pro Actives better be darn near magical before my wife sees the credit card bills.
they do a decent enough job IMO. Start with 1 turn out from closed (fully CCW)
Sponsored