Sponsored

Ford Performance Track Handling Pack

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost, 6sp, PP, 2017 GT Convertible
I thought I'd post an update after getting this installed on my 2018 EB PP.

Installation - Overall not too bad. However, the splined bolts that attach the front struts to the knuckles were an absolute bitch to get out. All the installation videos show the guys just tapping the bolts out with a hammer. Not mine. It took like 20 minutes of serious banging, with a sledge, to get a couple of these to budge. Installing the spherical bushing in the rear knuckles was pretty straightforward, with the knuckles on the car. You just need a good bearing press.

Alignment - I took it to the Ford dealer afterwards for an alignment. Ford Perf suggests -1.5 front and -2.0 deg rear, camber. The service tech told me they were having a tough time getting it to those specs, essentially requiring a second mechanic to push out the bottom of the wheel while the other guy tightened the bolts (seems plausible). That resulted in a slightly more expensive alignment, $250 vs $180.

Driving impressions - MUCH better on the street than I was expecting. I set up an early 911 for track use many years ago and it has a pretty harsh, jarring ride. I was expecting something similar from the Track Pack suspension, but it isn't so. Cruising down the highway, you hardly notice any difference. Yes, if you hit some abnormally rough roads, it transmits a bit more of that "texture" back into the car, but not bad at all. It definitely stays flatter around corners, and the rear end doesn't seen to squirm as much when powering out of corners. Personally, I think this is what the Performance Pack should be, and the Perf Pack should be the standard suspension. But I like firm, controlled handling.

First track day will be Road America in early May. Getting some fresh RE71s for that as well. Can't wait!

(Question: After driving it for a couple days, it developed a slight knocking sound from the front as I went in and out of driveways. No noise at speed, only very slow, going over bumps. I suspected that the front sway bar or drop links may not have been fully tightened. Went back in and checked every single nut and bolt that was touched when installing the front suspension. No obvious "smoking gun". Buttoned everything back up and it's not making the sound at the moment. But I'm not convinced I cured anything. Has anyone else experience this sort of behavior after installing this suspension kit?) Update: It was just a loose sway bar link.
Sponsored

Last edited:

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A little update on the Ford Performance Track Pack suspension kit. Just did first my HPDE at Road America with the new suspension. Very happy! Car felt much more stable than with the PP suspension (although I opted for Firestone Iny 500s instead of RE71s...not a great move for track performance). I noticed better ability to counter understeer with the throttle (and the Indy 500s provided plenty of understeer!). With the PP suspension, if the car was understeering, more throttle seemed to exacerbate it. But now, with the Track Pack, a little more throttle made the car feel hooked up at the rear, and turn in. It's weird, because it's counter intuitive, i.e., if the rear hooks up while understeering, it should push the front out more, but it doesn't. It's almost like a four wheel steering effect, i.e., the rear wheels start to assist with the turning. All I can say is, it felt good! And I'll reiterate that this is still a very comfortable street suspension. Overall, very satisfied.

Nate_V8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT/CS
People talk about labor costs for non assembled springs. How much time does it take for non assembled?

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The time delta between assembled struts and not for someone who's used to working on cars is no more than 1 hour.
I agree. But a shop might charge more than one hour.

Nate_V8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT/CS
The time delta between assembled struts and not for someone who's used to working on cars is no more than 1 hour.
Ok that isn't bad. Sounded like a 5 hour job or something lol

Btw I sent you a pm the other day

Sponsored

mhollida

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
No expert here but went with the track pack on my 2015 GT PP. Have to say could not be more satisfied. Only other mod is the Steeda brace. The ride is actually way better to me, the PP package was fine but little floaty. The Track pack is not really "firm" or rough to me unless you hit a speed bump. Overall it just feels very stable and comfortable. My thought was Ford designed the car so have to believe they can do a good job and one stop shop with out mixing parts etc. For someone like me that does not have time to mix match the best of everything the TP is great and the lowered ride looks really good. Frankly Ford should have made this the "standard" PP suspension.

Aw8dGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 6 sp manual, non-performance pack
First post here, so trying to do it on previously posted topics.

I am pretty set on getting the ford performance track suspension package, but sounds like the cradle busing lockout from BMR (CB005) would be a good addition. These are compatible together correct? Any need to add the Steeda stop the hop kit or would the above items be a good start and add things later id needed?

Also assuming I go with this set up, I could really use some wheel/tire help (not sure if I should repost in wheels and tire section as well).

Im looking at Velgen VF5 20x10 +34, 20x11 +45. Would this set up work with the suspension kit? For tires I was thinking 305 rear and maybe 275 or 285 front. Any suggestion on aspect ratio?

I want to get some Nitto tires. For road use would people suggest NT555 R2, NT555 GT or NTO5 max performance? These will be mainly for street use and only used in the good weather months in the midwest.

Thanks in Advance.

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Im looking at Velgen VF5 20x10 +34, 20x11 +45. Would this set up work with the suspension kit? For tires I was thinking 305 rear and maybe 275 or 285 front. Any suggestion on aspect ratio?

I want to get some Nitto tires. For road use would people suggest NT555 R2, NT555 GT or NTO5 max performance? These will be mainly for street use and only used in the good weather months in the midwest.

Thanks in Advance.
I just got a 19x11 305/30 square setup for track use. Even with -2.5 deg camber in front, I think the wheels poke just a bit too much for my taste. If I were doing street wheels, I'd probably go with 10" front and a 285 tire. Obviously, there are lots of varying opinions on this.
IMG_20200712_155547.jpg

Aw8dGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 6 sp manual, non-performance pack
I just got a 19x11 305/30 square setup for track use. Even with -2.5 deg camber in front, I think the wheels poke just a bit too much for my taste. If I were doing street wheels, I'd probably go with 10" front and a 285 tire. Obviously, there are lots of varying opinions on this.
IMG_20200712_155547.jpg
Thanks for the reply. First off, I think your set up still looks sweet. The 305 sqaure set up is like the PP2 set up and gets lots of grip.

For my needs i think the 285 on the 20x10 should work well. I agree. Do you think I'd have any problems running it on the lowered suspension with +34 offset front and +45 rear?

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the reply. First off, I think your set up still looks sweet. The 305 sqaure set up is like the PP2 set up and gets lots of grip.

For my needs i think the 285 on the 20x10 should work well. I agree. Do you think I'd have any problems running it on the lowered suspension with +34 offset front and +45 rear?
I'm not an expert on the various offset and tire fitments, but there are plenty of posts on this forum from people running all sorts of combinations. My 19x11s are 50mm offset. The rears have plenty of clearance. The fronts, with a 1" spacer, and the additional camber from camber bolts, have about 2-3mm clearance from the strut housing. Keep in mind that with FP Track Pack, the car is about an inch lower, and that by itself will result in a slight increase in negative camber, which is good for handling, and reduces poke at the top of the tire.
Sponsored

Last edited: