Sponsored

A/C Evaporator Factory Defect

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Thanks!

The high port is right above the compressor in that pic. In reality it is above but forward of the compressor. I had been looking for it between the compressor and the firewall like the low side was. Doh!
I should have read better, I was showing the low pressure port in the figure. Yes, the high pressure port is not far from the high pressure sensor, both are located above the compressor area, and are shown in the line above the compressor in the figure I posted earlier.
Sponsored

Last edited:

x_man586

Thank you Diatoms
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White Mustang GT m6
Still have diagnosing to do but my 16 started blowing warm. The evaporator was replaced under warranty at 3 years but now my extended warranty is expired. I have my epa 609 and gauges and vacuum pump. Iā€™m just not sure about removing the dash.

MrMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 23 Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
This problem really sucks having been through it multiple times now.

With that said, I believe that the evaporator core replacement finally fixed my problem. The crux of my issue was the dealer missing the evaporator leak for literally years even when there was a TSB for it. Every other part of my A/C system was replaced before the evaporator core.

Anyone having the issue I'd highly encourage you to just replace the evaporator core and go from there per the TSB.

Clint81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clint
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Well damn. Tuesday night I got the sounds (sighing/hissing from the passenger side) and the smells (refrigerant through the vents). Now I've got the hot air.

2022 Mustang Mach 1, 10k miles.

It is beyond belief that this is still a problem!

jayhoogs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jayson
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 HP
Well damn. Tuesday night I got the sounds (sighing/hissing from the passenger side) and the smells (refrigerant through the vents). Now I've got the hot air.

2022 Mustang Mach 1, 10k miles.

It is beyond belief that this is still a problem!
You got this issue in a new Mach 1?? I just dealt with it last summer in a ā€˜17 Ecoboost, needed a new evaporator core. But I was under the impression that Ford fixed the design in the ā€˜18+ Mustangs, so I was hoping now with my Mach 1 it wonā€™t ever be a problem but I guess itā€™s still a potential:(

Sponsored

MrMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 23 Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I would imagine this happening on a Mach 1 is less of a major issue and more of a random failure or poor QC for that particular unit.

This thread would be flooded otherwise.

jayhoogs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jayson
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 HP
I would imagine this happening on a Mach 1 is less of a major issue and more of a random failure or poor QC for that particular unit.

This thread would be flooded otherwise.
Yeah I was kind of thinking that as well.

DanyYanks

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium
I just wanted to add my voice to the list.
My 2016 Mustang GT (70k miles) has recently started blowing warm. I figured it would happen eventually, unfortunately I am out of warranty and will probably have to shoulder the burden 100% myself. I may just get it refilled with freon. I have read that some have luck with freon that has a sealant additive. It seems to have taken it quite a while to leak down, at least the 6 years that I have had it. Between this and the hood corrosion that Ford refused to address I am beginning to consider selling this thing and getting a different vehicle all together. Luckily I still have my reliable ole '99 Jeep XJ to drive in this hot weather. It is about a dozen times as reliable as this Mustang is.

dsiggi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Adding my GT350R to the list at 16k miles. Started a few hundred miles ago. Tech says its the compressor. Sounds like a bearing is the issue.

Sponsored

RUBY2K16GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT
I have a 2016 GT with 21K miles. In 2019 I had the compressor replaced under extended warranty. It was making a buzzing sound that I could hear when it was in the garage. It was winter so couldn't tell if I had cold air but knew something was off. All was fine since then, until now.

Every once in a while, I would get a smell from the vents that was just like the smell of a Sharpie permanent marker. I also noticed a sort of a sloshing sound in the pipes while the ac was running while sitting in the car at startup. I had never heard this before.

I took it in to the dealer yesterday and they thought it was the compressor but after recharging they did a leak test and found it was the evaporator coil that was leaking.

Estimate to repair is $3300.00 and not under any warranty now. Ouch

I've been happy with my GT as far as everything else goes so will go ahead and pay to fix. I asked if the part had been redesigned and they did say it was now a revised part number so hopefully the issues have been resolved.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Iā€™d call customer service if youā€™re the original owner. They might help you. Enjoy that 2016ā€¦:Great and unique year for GT Mustangs.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Iā€™d call customer service if youā€™re the original owner. They might help you.
And if that doesn't work, and the owner has lots of time and the skills, I understand you can get just the evaporator for pretty cheap, and Ford has instructions to open the box up and replace just the evaporator. Lots of dismantling to get to it though.

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
Was looking at a 15 anniversary edition with only 8k miles on it but after remembering the AC and driveline problems these cars have I think I will pass on it. Basically all of the 15-17 cars will have the AC go out at some point depending on how much it is used, etc. Too risky for me...

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
Was looking at a 15 anniversary edition with only 8k miles on it but after remembering the AC and driveline problems these cars have I think I will pass on it. Basically all of the 15-17 cars will have the AC go out at some point depending on how much it is used, etc. Too risky for me...
2015 with 92,000 miles and no issues at all.
Sponsored