A/C Evaporator Replaced Due To Leak

Rod Schneider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rod
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EcoBoost
I finally decided to replace my leaking evaporator core (2016 EcoBoost). I'd been having symptoms for a while, and had been topping of the refrigerant charge every 4 or 5 months for the last year and a half or so. The car was still under warranty when the problem first appeared, but I didn't like the idea of someone else going that deep into my car, so I decided to do it myself. I bought the evaporator kit from Ford, about $180 shipped to me, downloaded the TSB, and dove in! I've got the factory shop manual, and it does a very good job of describing the work. The job took about 8 or 9 hours, spread over two days. I've pulled other dash panels before, and this one came out as easy as any others I've done. The leaks on the evaporator seemed to be coming from the top edge. The leak check dye showed up very well under a UV light.
TkILHG56Tx2+kBe35rS4KA.jpg
I3bGF7EHQHynCS+p1ZwdzQ.jpg
aEngImhRQ+e8PhAIaVsDcA.jpg
TkILHG56Tx2+kBe35rS4KA.jpg
peovwaNERweZ2cLKLJLrfg.jpg
XcEWogY+RZ62meh1cP0Xbw.jpg
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
At least the dash comes out as an almost complete unit....

I remember replacing heater cores on the 79-93 Fox’s - what a royal PIA that was, because those dashes back then were not made like the modern S550’s - it was not a composite unit....and took forever to disassemble.

How was the opening of the HVAC box - any tips you can add to those who have not been there yet?

OP
OP
Rod Schneider

Rod Schneider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rod
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EcoBoost
At least the dash comes out as an almost complete unit....

I remember replacing heater cores on the 79-93 Fox’s - what a royal PIA that was, because those dashes back then were not made like the modern S550’s - it was not a composite unit....and took forever to disassemble.

How was the opening of the HVAC box - any tips you can add to those who have not been there yet?
The dash does come out in pretty much 1 piece. I actually took more off of it than the book called for, to make it easier to handle. I completely removed the steering column and the glove box assembly, both of which can stay put per the manual. I also removed both front seats. I was able to get the dash out and back in by myself that way. The HVAC comes apart pretty easy following the instructions in the TSB. All the screws in the box are the same. The only trouble I had was getting it back together with the new evaporator core installed. The foam seals on the new core have to be compressed a bit to get things to fit.........

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The dash does come out in pretty much 1 piece. I actually took more off of it than the book called for, to make it easier to handle. I completely removed the steering column and the glove box assembly, both of which can stay put per the manual. I also removed both front seats. I was able to get the dash out and back in by myself that way. The HVAC comes apart pretty easy following the instructions in the TSB. All the screws in the box are the same. The only trouble I had was getting it back together with the new evaporator core installed. The foam seals on the new core have to be compressed a bit to get things to fit.........

Did you happen to see any visual or noticeable differences between the old and new EVAP cores - such as any possible physical revisions?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Rod Schneider

Rod Schneider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rod
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EcoBoost
Did you happen to see any visual or noticeable differences between the old and new EVAP cores - such as any possible physical revisions?
They looked identical as far as I could see. The new evaporator came with the foam seals already installed, so if there were any differences under the foam, I wasn't able to see them......... The old one appeared to be leaking under the foam along the top edge--I had to peel some of it off to get a good look.

steven

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt black
crazy question but gotta ask, this seems like something that may have to be done every 3 to 5 years from what i can tell. and it will definitely suck to have to pull apart that dash every time to fix that rather cheap part. lets just say if the dash, not the center (console/radio) but the upper portion of the dash itself could be cut in the center down the middle, would it make it possible to be able pull only the ride side of the dash out to get to the evap core after removing the console/radio?

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Premium Pony Pack "4HORSEMEN"
This scares me deeply. I think I've got an A/C leak (haven't checked the compressor andyet though)a the thought of having to get the dash gutted to have it fixed is rather distressing to me. Hoping I'm not going to have to have this done this because I'm at 57000 miles so I believe it's out of warranty.

OP
OP
Rod Schneider

Rod Schneider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rod
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EcoBoost
crazy question but gotta ask, this seems like something that may have to be done every 3 to 5 years from what i can tell. and it will definitely suck to have to pull apart that dash every time to fix that rather cheap part. lets just say if the dash, not the center (console/radio) but the upper portion of the dash itself could be cut in the center down the middle, would it make it possible to be able pull only the ride side of the dash out to get to the evap core after removing the console/radio?
I really don't think that would be feasible. The dash assembly is very complex, involving a metal cross car brace and lots of wiring that is integrated in the dash. Removing the entire dash unit is really not that bad and would be easier with two people, but I did mine by myself. It is very modular for ease of manufacture, and comes out a lot easier than some other ones I have done!

OP
OP
Rod Schneider

Rod Schneider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rod
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EcoBoost
This scares me deeply. I think I've got an A/C leak (haven't checked the compressor andyet though)a the thought of having to get the dash gutted to have it fixed is rather distressing to me. Hoping I'm not going to have to have this done this because I'm at 57000 miles so I believe it's out of warranty.
If you are handy with a wrench and follow the steps in the factory shop manual, it's not as bad as it looks. Most of the dash comes out as one big chunk, and once it's out, getting the climate control module out is pretty easy! Taking the climate module apart to get the evaporator core out is easy if you follow the steps in the TSB.

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I was wondering how feasible it would be to tackle this, seems doable if need be.

To a similar end (because racecar), is there an AC compressor eliminator kit/belt out there?

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Premium Pony Pack "4HORSEMEN"
If you are handy with a wrench and follow the steps in the factory shop manual, it's not as bad as it looks. Most of the dash comes out as one big chunk, and once it's out, getting the climate control module out is pretty easy! Taking the climate module apart to get the evaporator core out is easy if you follow the steps in the TSB.
Thanks that somewhat reassuring. The biggest thing for me would be finding the time since it's my daily. And I have an irrational fear of breaking plastic clips or things just going back together in a generally rattley way after.

Willofalltrades

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT
I'm military stuck overseas and I can't get an Italian dealer to replace this for me. I am a F-16 crew chief so I am pretty handy with a wrench. Can you provide the part numbers you used (mainly the evaporator core part number kit) and anything else to help me out? I'm going to tackle this in my garage.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm military stuck overseas and I can't get an Italian dealer to replace this for me. I am a F-16 crew chief so I am pretty handy with a wrench. Can you provide the part numbers you used (mainly the evaporator core part number kit) and anything else to help me out? I'm going to tackle this in my garage.

Thanks for your Service and this thread should help you out. Within the thread there are PDFs containing the R&R steps of the repair for DIYers. Some folks had been posting the most recent EVAP core Ford part numbers (as they have been revised).

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/a-c-evaporator-factory-defect.62682/

Hope that helps!

ducobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephane
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang 1966, Golf 1 cab, Renault 4 CV, soon a S550 convertible
Does somebody can send me the pdf instructions to dismount the dash to access the evaporator ?

thanks i
Sponsored