A/C Evaporator Factory Defect

Black19GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
well I'm now in the club ... 73,000kms and needs a new evaporator, thankfully covered under my extended warranty.
Sponsored

MrMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 23 Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Have people had success having problem fixed permanently?

Has anyone with a 2015/2016 had their A/C repaired and had it remain repaired for over a year?

Rod Schneider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rod
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EcoBoost
Have people had success having problem fixed permanently?

Has anyone with a 2015/2016 had their A/C repaired and had it remain repaired for over a year?
I replaced my bad evaporator in February 2020. I did the work myself and installed the latest Ford evaporator. It's still working perfectly.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I replaced my bad evaporator in February 2020. I did the work myself and installed the latest Ford evaporator. It's still working perfectly.
Out of curiosity:
- Do you have the Ford part # you had purchased to share?

- How much was just the part?

- Did you recharge the system yourself too?

- How long did it take you to do the job (approx)?

Thanks for any addt’l info.

Rod Schneider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rod
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EcoBoost
I ordered the kit that was listed in the TSB that Ford published. I believe the evaporator part number was FR3Z-19860-A, I also ordered the replacement bolts and seals that were listed in the TSB. I purchased everything from Levittown Ford and the total was around $180.
I did the evacuation and recharge myself, I have a vacuum pump and gauges.
It took me around 7-8 hours, spread over two days..I followed the steps in the factory shop manual for the dash and climate control housing removal. It's a big job, but not that hard to do. I'd do it again, no hesitation.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I ordered the kit that was listed in the TSB that Ford published. I believe the evaporator part number was FR3Z-19860-A, I also ordered the replacement bolts and seals that were listed in the TSB. I purchased everything from Levittown Ford and the total was around $180.
I did the evacuation and recharge myself, I have a vacuum pump and gauges.
It took me around 7-8 hours, spread over two days..I followed the steps in the factory shop manual for the dash and climate control housing removal. It's a big job, but not that hard to do. I'd do it again, no hesitation.
Thanks for your detailed response; it's definitely helpful for anyone reviewing this in the future.

For cost comparison sakes:
- If wanting to attempt it, total cost Ford parts only is (currently) below $200.

- If having to have a Ford Service Center (or other shop) do the job, the owner is looking at upwards of $2500 +/- depending on geographic location and shop rates. The cost to have this done out of warranty has been outlined in this thread (and the other) quite a few times, so it's a costly repair if not being able to DIY it.

Last edited:

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
^^^ To add ... some people may be able to do the evaporator repair themselves, but not have the the equipment or skill to evacuate and recharge the A/C system. In that case, just take it to a shop that can do the recharge and pay them to do that ... would still save a lot of money in the end.

GTCS16

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sahar
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Gt California Special
2016 GT California Special, joined the club. not the mustang club, but the club of faulty evaporators :facepalm:
So the solution (if i can't do it by myself) is to purchase the parts that are in the list of the TSB 18-2256 and just replace? those are aftermarket parts? they solved the problem with these new parts?
Thanks

garbancillo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MUSTANG GT 10R80
well I'm now in the club ... 73,000kms and needs a new evaporator, thankfully covered under my extended warranty.
So, you get a 2019 and have confirmed that the issue is the evaporator core?? Damn! I was convinced that this dreadful engineering trouble only affected S550 from 2015 to 2017. I had previously a 2015 Ecoboost and replaced the evap core twice! Fingers crossed about my 2019 GT

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
So, you get a 2019 and have confirmed that the issue is the evaporator core?? Damn! I was convinced that this dreadful engineering trouble only affected S550 from 2015 to 2017. I had previously a 2015 Ecoboost and replaced the evap core twice! Fingers crossed about my 2019 GT
My 2018 condenser sprung a leak for no good reason, at least it was easy to replace.

Sponsored

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
Thanks for your detailed response; it's definitely helpful for anyone reviewing this in the future.

For cost comparison sakes:
- If wanting to attempt it, total cost Ford parts only is (currently) below $200.

- If having to have a Ford Service Center (or other shop) do the job, the owner is looking at upwards of $2500 +/- depending on geographic location and shop rates. The cost to have this done out of warranty has been outlined in this thread (and the other) quite a few times, so it's a costly repair if not being able to DIY it.
You can easily buy a extended warranty cheaper than that for these cars. Seems that alone might make it worth it.

Darko66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Ecoboost
Haven't been here in awhile, but just wanted to add that I'm a 2-time loser with the evaporator. I had a 2015 EcoBoost that developed a leak around the 4 year mark. I traded it in a year later for a 2019 EcoBoost and 2.75 years and 25,000 miles in, just got word that they are going to replace the evaporator core. Fortunately still under warranty this time. Disappointing that this is an ongoing issue.

Last edited:

hunter7389

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT Premium M6 401 PP1, Silver
Haven't been here in awhile, but just wanted to add that I'm a 2-time loser with the evaporator. I had a 2015 EcoBoost that developed a leak around the 4 year mark. I traded it in a year later for a 2019 EcoBoost and 2.75 years and 25,000 miles in, just got word that they are going to replace the condenser. Fortunately still under warranty this time. Disappointing that this is an ongoing issue.
To be fair, the evaporator and the condenser are completely different components.

jayhoogs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jayson
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 HP
Ever since I got my 2017 Ecoboost, I always dreaded having the A/C issue. Got my car used so I wasn’t sure if this was a part that the previous owner dealt with, but in my over 4 years of ownership the air conditioning always seemed to work great, so I felt like I had lucked out. Well this summer as it started to heat up outside, I could tell something wasn’t right. Car has been in the dealer for a week now for the evaporator replacement, I’m just glad it’s being covered under my extended warranty. Also not sure that age or use matters, but I’m at around 52,000 miles.
Sponsored