350 v 350R

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
He asked if I had one now, I don’t. I HAD one for a very brief time and sold it. Sold it and have regretted it, had too many vehicles at the time to enjoy. Hope that clears it up…
Join the club... I get the itch every couple years to sell stuff and get something else. I did that and ended up buying another R for 2020...now kinda have the itch again but trying to ignore it.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Rickkyyr8

Rickkyyr8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye, 1968 Charger, 1968 Chevelle, 2013 Sierra Denali
Join the club... I get the itch every couple years to sell stuff and get something else. I did that and ended up buying another R for 2020...now kinda have the itch again but trying to ignore it.
Yeah I get bad lol. I had a HC redeye, R8, 350, my daily truck and 4 other classics at once at this time so I just didn’t have much time

Johnnydarkgt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350R, 91f150,Lexus GX460 , 1965 Mercury comet cyclone 4speed
Vehicle Showcase
27 mustangs later , finally I have one faster , with better brakes than my 2000 cobra R. The most engineering has always been the Mustangs without a rear seat , starting in 1965 . These Carbon fiber wheels make it feel lighter and better feedback . Try the R . You won’t regret it . But there are some R owners that sold there’s that do .

MNGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350 base comp orange
If you're primarily a street driver, buy a regular GT350, get some lightweight forged wheels, and you're good to go.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
If you have a lot of cars and a lot of money, so you won't drive the car much, I would lean toward an R for collectibility, bragging rights and resale value.

If you are a regular guy who wants the lowest purchase price and you're going to drive a lot on the street and on track, I'd get a regular 350. That's what I did and I didn't seriously consider an R. Yes the R is a better car, but the 350 has the awesome engine and the same terrific brakes. IMO the engine and the brakes are the biggest reasons to buy a 350 versus any other Mustang. I'm skinny, but a larger person and I don't find the Recaros comfortable at all. So another reason for me in particular to stay away from the R.

The regular 350 drags the splitter less, making it less annoying on the street. It has a slightly more comfortable ride. The exhaust is quieter so it will annoy your neighbors less if you want to drive it regularly at odd hours. It has "normal" aluminum wheels that don't cost a fortune to replace if something happens, so some people will worry less about parking a regular 350 at any location where they are running errands, etc. The brakes on the 350 and R have very tight fitment to the wheels, so debris can get caught between them when driving and score the inner wheel barrel. I had this happen on some of my wheels. Think about this kind of thing if you are considering driving an R with those CF wheels regularly.

Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
If you have a lot of cars and a lot of money, so you won't drive the car much, I would lean toward an R for collectibility, bragging rights and resale value.

If you are a regular guy who wants the lowest purchase price and you're going to drive a lot on the street and on track, I'd get a regular 350. That's what I did and I didn't seriously consider an R. Yes the R is a better car, but the 350 has the awesome engine and the same terrific brakes. IMO the engine and the brakes are the biggest reasons to buy a 350 versus any other Mustang. I'm skinny, but a larger person and I don't find the Recaros comfortable at all. So another reason for me in particular to stay away from the R.

The regular 350 drags the splitter less, making it less annoying on the street. It has a slightly more comfortable ride. The exhaust is quieter so it will annoy your neighbors less if you want to drive it regularly at odd hours. It has "normal" aluminum wheels that don't cost a fortune to replace if something happens, so some people will worry less about parking a regular 350 at any location where they are running errands, etc. The brakes on the 350 and R have very tight fitment to the wheels, so debris can get caught between them when driving and score the inner wheel barrel. I had this happen on some of my wheels. Think about this kind of thing if you are considering driving an R with those CF wheels regularly.
Good point on the caliper clearance and getting stuff stuck in there. I noticed this was GREATLY reduced when not using cup2s. sticky tires pull up everything off the roads to tumble around in your arches and some ends up bouncing around in the barrel.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Good point on the caliper clearance and getting stuff stuck in there. I noticed this was GREATLY reduced when not using cup2s. sticky tires pull up everything off the roads to tumble around in your arches and some ends up bouncing around in the barrel.
Makes sense to me. I did get some grooves on my winter rims that used snow tires and some in my stock rims with Pilot SS tires, but not much and I drove a lot of miles. I have a gravel driveway, so there was definitely plenty of opportunity for debris to get in there.

Doran

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350, 2017 gt350. 2007 gt500 2005 gt
I have a base 2020 350 with Recaros and I have driven a friends R. On the street I couldn't tell the difference. The R will definitely shine on the track but for everyday fun and value the base 350 is a pretty sweet car.

Sponsored

fatony618

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R Heritage Edition

Great answer. Couldn't agree more as an R owner. I love mine and put almost 8K miles on it. The tradeoff was I put all-seasons (305 square) on the CF wheels to make made better ride quality better and reduced the risk (a bit) for pothole strikes etc.

I drive in shitty NJ and just deal with the risk of CF wheels but in my opinion there is nothing like it and nothing I would trade it for. This car will go to the grave with me hoping I have another 40+ years on this earth. The reactions from most people (especially kids) put a smile on my face. I was that kid in the 80s with my uncles 69 Mach 1 and love giving my nieces and nephews a similar experience.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
That’s interesting. I had a 20 350 and a 20 350 R. I could tell the difference. A little less with the 350, forged wheel, and springs. But the R is definitely different in feel. It for sure is less on the 20’s though.

I have a base 2020 350 with Recaros and I have driven a friends R. On the street I couldn't tell the difference. The R will definitely shine on the track but for everyday fun and value the base 350 is a pretty sweet car.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Good on you! That last part is what its alll about!

Great answer. Couldn't agree more as an R owner. I love mine and put almost 8K miles on it. The tradeoff was I put all-seasons (305 square) on the CF wheels to make made better ride quality better and reduced the risk (a bit) for pothole strikes etc.

I drive in shitty NJ and just deal with the risk of CF wheels but in my opinion there is nothing like it and nothing I would trade it for. This car will go to the grave with me hoping I have another 40+ years on this earth. The reactions from most people (especially kids) put a smile on my face. I was that kid in the 80s with my uncles 69 Mach 1 and love giving my nieces and nephews a similar experience.

Doran

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350, 2017 gt350. 2007 gt500 2005 gt
That’s interesting. I had a 20 350 and a 20 350 R. I could tell the difference. A little less with the 350, forged wheel, and springs. But the R is definitely different in feel. It for sure is less on the 20’s though.
Fair point. It was an older R and I was not pushing it

Last edited:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I immediately noticed a difference in steering feel with a beat down buy back R that I test drove vs the regular GT350. The CF wheel lightness produces a significant change in feel, just driving down the street at 30 mph. I didn't drive enough for that to translate into confidence or desirability for me, but I definitely noticed they didn't feel the same.
Sponsored