350 vs 350R?

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
I don't doubt he has one, there are a lot of dudes on here with loaded wallets.
I told my wife few years ago, that after all the expenses I'll put money into a fund for cars.
The terms were:
max out 529 for kids college (13k, 2 kids)
Max out taxable mutual fund contribution (53k)
10k Roth
10k gold in lock box
50k checking/savings
This year I'll put 150k into car fund.
I havent had debt in the last 8 years.
Right now I'm sitting with enough to buy almost any car made, with no questions from the wife. Feels good, but it's tough to make a decision. It's not lotto money I'm playing with. I'll probably always choose mustangs/blue collar cars even tho I can afford exotics. I'll also pay ADM if I think the car is worth it.
Sponsored

Colleton

Mustang Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Edge Sport, 2013 Focus ST
I told my wife few years ago, that after all the expenses I'll put money into a fund for cars.
The terms were:
10k Roth
10k gold in lock box
50k checking/savings
Right now I'm sitting with enough to buy almost any car made, with no questions from the wife. Feels good, but it's tough to make a decision. It's not lotto money I'm playing with. I'll probably always choose mustangs/blue collar cars even tho I can afford exotics. I'll also pay ADM if I think the car is worth it.
Nice!

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
Another reason for the R..CF wheels are the sh!t!

Sponsored

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
He knows how to lay that CF... good stuff.
6 lbs! Yikes, that’s one light wheel. No paint etc, and tries to pre balance with some carbon fiber opposite of the valve stem.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
He knows how to lay that CF... good stuff.
6 lbs! Yikes, that’s one light wheel. No paint etc, and tries to pre balance with some carbon fiber opposite of the valve stem.
I believe it is 6 kilos or 13 lbs. Obviously koenigsegg is using a more advanced assembly procedure of their wheels vs CR.

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR
The terms were:
10k Roth
10k gold in lock box
50k checking/savings
You sound a lot like me in many ways. I have a couple exotics, currently including Aston Martin vantage and Ferrari 360 to go with my R, (plus 3 other cars), but I still care about value and not wasting cash/depreciation. My vantage is a 14 and 5k miles used and it was barely more than the R (but the first owner paid $142k for those 5k miles and depreciation is almost haulted now) f the Ferrari I have had for 8 years and it's worth the same I bought it for. I was not really in the market for a 350 (bought the aston and a new raptor already this year) but got a call an R sale at msrp was backed out on and I could have it for msrp. I pulled the trigger bc an msrp deal for an R was a no brainer. Tangent to this topic, I would not have jumped on a base 350 at sticker simply bc I didn't think it would hold value as well, but the R was not much more sticker and a wise track (8 year warranty) superstar that will hold value. I was tracking the Ferrari but that's a pricy/risky game with a 17 year old 40k mile Italian. I'm used to high maintenance; the gt350 maintenance (except tires) seem like a 70% sale lol! I also do 85% of my own maintenance for that reason.

Btw, your cover should be arriving any day now.
IMG_7308.PNG

thackl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mclaren 720s,X5,17 Raptor,c63s edeition1,1098SFS
Pretty sure he was joking.

That said — you have a 720s, but take a mustang to cars and coffee?? Alrighty then.
Why not? The 350 is amazing and fun to drive. My 3yo twins can't go to C&C in a McLaren anyway. I take all the cars/bikes to C&C, I also sponsor it (buy the coffee monthly :). Our city is small and it would get boring to take the same ride every month. We generally get 80-130 cars depending on time of year. I did trailer my 650s to Austin C&C last spring and that was huge!

thackl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was simply joking to lighten up the arguments between people over what they can afford. I'd take a 720s over a hyper-mustang any day.
Sorry, I've seen 2 years of people arguing this point. I really didn't want an R, though I love seeing them. I should have snapped a pic of the white one at a little dinner in Marble Falls, TX yesterday..

Sponsored

thackl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd like to see the 720s, post an img?
Will as soon as it arrives. Traded my 650 spider for it recently and 720 in production. Will be Saros gray with yellow accents and bronze 5 spoke wheels. Truly great car that I've had the privilege to drive a few times... that said, cars like the gt350 and AMG GT have a personality and fun factor that make them very enjoyable in day to day and spirited drives. The thing I liked most about the Focus RS I had for about a year was you could drive it 10/10 without getting your car towed and going to jail. It handled as well on the streets as anything I've ever had and was cool in it's own way. Friends thought I was crazy to have it share garage with a 650s and 911tt. I completely disagreed lol. On the other hand, you can't do anything fun in a McLaren without hitting "arrest me" speeds. They are otherworldly!

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR
On the other hand, you can't do anything fun in a McLaren without hitting "arrest me" speeds. They are otherworldly!
That's the point, and why I sold my 911tt this year. It takes too much speed to make it exciting. I had a tune and exhaust too. The R is stock and is FUN at under half throttle and sounds 100x better!

The Tesla is an extension is this issue, too much speed, not enough drama.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
I believe it is 6 kilos or 13 lbs. Obviously koenigsegg is using a more advanced assembly procedure of their wheels vs CR.
Yeah, I must have been thinking LBS. So, what is ours without the tire, was thinking it was 19lbs with tire (fronts)?

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
You sound a lot like me in many ways. I have a couple exotics, currently including Aston Martin vantage and Ferrari 360 to go with my R, (plus 3 other cars), but I still care about value and not wasting cash/depreciation. My vantage is a 14 and 5k miles used and it was barely more than the R (but the first owner paid $142k for those 5k miles and depreciation is almost haulted now) f the Ferrari I have had for 8 years and it's worth the same I bought it for. I was not really in the market for a 350 (bought the aston and a new raptor already this year) but got a call an R sale at msrp was backed out on and I could have it for msrp. I pulled the trigger bc an msrp deal for an R was a no brainer. Tangent to this topic, I would not have jumped on a base 350 at sticker simply bc I didn't think it would hold value as well, but the R was not much more sticker and a wise track (8 year warranty) superstar that will hold value. I was tracking the Ferrari but that's a pricy/risky game with a 17 year old 40k mile Italian. I'm used to high maintenance; the gt350 maintenance (except tires) seem like a 70% sale lol! I also do 85% of my own maintenance for that reason.

Btw, your cover should be arriving any day now.
Thank You, I'll be sending the $asap.
Nice Garage Mike!
Sponsored