Sponsored

350 to 350R

hp1000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
This is for all the guys that made the switch from a 350 to a 350R, or is willing give up their first born to do it or just find the need to. I am just curious in the rational behind it. Is it because
1) You are tracking more than 5-6 times a season(this is a track only car)
2) Cache (just because it is an R)
3) Whatever you want to add
Appreciate the insight
Thanks
Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
This is for all the guys that made the switch from a 350 to a 350R, or is willing give up their first born to do it or just find the need to. I am just curious in the rational behind it. Is it because
Appreciate the insight
Thanks
I'm waiting for mine to be built. I have an allocation, but won't be built until after the winter break.

1) To me, it is a rare car. I don't plant to track it, instead, I will keep the 350 I have now, get a set of cup 2's and track my track pack. The Forscan tweaks suggest that you can enable the R suspension logic. A spring change and maybe a set of the 6GR wheels will probably check that box. Beyond rarity and wheels/rubber, I really don't think there is a huge difference between the two.

2) Yes

3) 1 above pretty much explains it. Despite how difficult the regular 'ol 350 is to find, it is still accessible and some near MSRP. The R, is a completely different car in terms of collectability and production numbers. My track pack will be the car that gets driven a bunch. The R will be kept for collectability.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
I'm waiting for mine to be built. I have an allocation, but won't be built until after the winter break.

1) To me, it is a rare car. I don't plant to track it, instead, I will keep the 350 I have now, get a set of cup 2's and track my track pack. The Forscan tweaks suggest that you can enable the R suspension logic. A spring change and maybe a set of the 6GR wheels will probably check that box. Beyond rarity and wheels/rubber, I really don't think there is a huge difference between the two.

2) Yes

3) 1 above pretty much explains it. Despite how difficult the regular 'ol 350 is to find, it is still accessible and some near MSRP. The R, is a completely different car in terms of collectability and production numbers. My track pack will be the car that gets driven a bunch. The R will be kept for collectability.
Remember that IF you are able to use the suspension tune from the R, the shocks/struts are different part numbers. The orifices to control the flow of oil through the internal piston are of smaller diameter. Thus, the tune itself will most likely not yield desirable results.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
I would personally love to get an R but to track it as much as my TP and because of its rarity. I would disagree that there is not a huge difference in the two cars in terms of suspension. Higher durameter bushings throughout, not an easy swap to include the actual R shock/struts and many more. Guess my/your position is debatable but one thing is for sure, the R has a huge advantage as it is documented to be near 3seconds faster around a track (Pobst via MT @ Chuckwalla). THAT'S HUGE!!!

Mike02z

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Explorer Platinum
If I had an R it would be a track day car. The fact that I don't track made the GT350 the right choice for me. It was also easier to find and a lot less $$. I doubt the R's will lose their value as they are so limited.

Sponsored

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
Just to add..... even non-R's would not depreciate greatly due to the desirability, demand, and production totals. I think they will hold on to their values fairly well... maybe at most a 25% drop in (wholesale) value over the next 3 yrs. My guesstimate...

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Remember that IF you are able to use the suspension tune from the R, the shocks/struts are different part numbers. The orifices to control the flow of oil through the internal piston are of smaller diameter. Thus, the tune itself will most likely not yield desirable results.
Now that you mention it, I do remember reading different part number for the shocks and struts. Ok, 6gr wheels and cup2's. I think it will bring it a lot closer to R performance than many think.

Remember, I'm not a pro driver. The differences for me would probably be negligible.

I do remember at the track attack that the only thing I would have liked to have more would be a little more grab on the track. Those super sports were pretty damn good, but that seemed to be the limiting factor.

So, for the rarity, spare the much more collectible R and drive the track pack and not sweat the wear and tear.

If money was no object and I had a collection of supercars, my perspective would probably be different.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Appreciate the insight
Thanks
Unfortunately my track days are pretty much over but that doesn't mean that many of us cannot still enjoy some spirited driving with our GT350/GT350R's and of course picking the right time and place to do so is paramount.

After putting a fair bit of seat time in a GT350 and then spending time in one of my R models the preference to drive the R models much more is a very easy decision to make.

Ask pretty much anyone who drives their R model on a regular basis and they will all tell you the same thing and that the R model is a completely different driving experience compared to the GT350 whether it be on the street or the track.

Certainly no disrespect to the GT350 cars as they are outstanding automobiles but the R's take it to another level at least they do for me.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
Different... yes.

Completely different... no.

The key factor on difference in perception are the Cup2 tires on the CF wheels.

Many experienced drivers including FP stakeholders have stated the same. ;)

OP
OP

hp1000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Unfortunately my track days are pretty much over but that doesn't mean that many of us cannot still enjoy some spirited driving with our GT350/GT350R's and of course picking the right time and place to do so is paramount.

After putting a fair bit of seat time in a GT350 and then spending time in one of my R models the preference to drive the R models much more is a very easy decision to make.

Ask pretty much anyone who drives their R model on a regular basis and they will all tell you the same thing and that the R model is a completely different driving experience compared to the GT350 whether it be on the street or the track.

Certainly no disrespect to the GT350 cars as they are outstanding automobiles but the R's take it to another level at least they do for me.

I agree every article states, it has the "specialness" as Matt Farra loves to say. I guess, with carbonfiber wheels and cup2 tires on the street...
1) makes me nervous of potholes and things
2) dollars and cents per mile on cup2 on street

Sponsored

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
I agree every article states, it has the "specialness" as Matt Farra loves to say. I guess, with carbonfiber wheels and cup2 tires on the street...
1) makes me nervous of potholes and things
2) dollars and cents per mile on cup2 on street
you could always buy a set of street wheels and tires or just not hit pot holes or curbs
; )

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I believe that since you already have the GT350. Buy the CF wheels and rear seat delete and it will be cheaper and you have most of the performance.

shelby_r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R, 67 GT350, 68 GT350 Con, 65 R Restomod
I originally had a 2016 Shadow Black (no stripe) Track Pack, and I sold it to get a 2016 R; which I was able to special order/spec.

For me, it was a combination of things, regarding the switch:

- I'm not a track person...yet. :D So, that didn't come into the equation.
- I LOVE the rarity of the car! My R is 1 of 45 DIB Rs built with the Electronics Package in 2016. And, I have black OTT Stripes; which I later found out was a 1 year only option (DIB is not available anymore, and the black stripes weren't an option on DIB Rs for 2015). And, given that there were some Rs build without stripes and some with white stripes, I now know that my car is 1 of less than 45 - VERY cool! :thumbsup:
- Finally, I know people will say they are the same car...to me, they are not. I DD my R, and I DD'd my Track Pack Previously. They are 2 different animals entirely. Again, we can agree to disagree, but I put almost 1,500 miles on my Track Pack before I sold it, and I have almost 2,500 miles on my R as of this week.

I feel confident in my opinions :ford:

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Different... yes.

Completely different... no.

The key factor on difference in perception are the Cup2 tires on the CF wheels.

Many experienced drivers including FP stakeholders have stated the same. ;)
Al, we have both been around the car hobby for quite some time so I certainly respect your opinion but with all due respect the driving experience for me personally is completely different. Knowing some of the instructors in Sebring from previous events I asked them their thoughts on the R compared to the GT350 and they confirmed my thoughts as well.

For me there is a lot more than just the Cup 2 and the carbon fiber wheels that make such a difference on these cars.

As soon as I fire up my R model I experience a totally different exhaust note compared to my GT350 based on the fact that these cars have no resonators which in addition to an outstanding exhaust note it is a nice weight savings as well. Of course I only drive the R model in Sport Mode as I cannot get enough of the wicked sound of this engine at 4500 RPM and above. I have not hit the magic 8250 RPM yet but can only imagine based on the sound below that level.

Once the car is rolling and warmed up not only do the CF wheels feel more nimble and lighter than the alloy wheels but once I start some spirited driving the wider wheels front and back come into play.

Of course we all know the spring rates on the R models are 24% stiffer than the Track or Tech Pack cars so combine the larger/stickier tires, lighter and larger wheels along with a car that weighs at least ~90 pounds lighter than a Track Pack car so it all adds up. The weight savings on the front CF wheels alone are 30# with the rears being 28# lighter.

I ordered my R's without A/C, radio, speakers and that reduces the weight of the car by 21# and with no carpet underlay I save another 5# in weight.

Not sure what the weight savings are with the removal of the tire inflator kit, no carpet in the trunk, exhaust resonators deleted and having the back seats removed and replaced with a lightweight cover does to the overall weight but suggestion it will also be quite helpful.

For you all these differences may not mean much and I certainly respect that but for me the sound and overall feel of this car is completely different than my GT350 and that is based on owning and driving one of each.

Maybe some fellow R model owners will provide their thoughts and can either confirm my feelings or tell me that I am full of crap!:headbonk:

shelby_r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R, 67 GT350, 68 GT350 Con, 65 R Restomod
Al, we have both been around the car hobby for quite some time so I certainly respect your opinion but with all due respect the driving experience for me personally is completely different. Knowing some of the instructors in Sebring from previous events I asked them their thoughts on the R compared to the GT350 and they confirmed my thoughts as well.

For me there is a lot more than just the Cup 2 and the carbon fiber wheels that make such a difference on these cars.

As soon as I fire up my R model I experience a totally different exhaust note compared to my GT350 based on the fact that these cars have no resonators which in addition to an outstanding exhaust note it is a nice weight savings as well. Of course I only drive the R model in Sport Mode as I cannot get enough of the wicked sound of this engine at 4500 RPM and above. I have not hit the magic 8250 RPM yet but can only imagine based on the sound below that level.

Once the car is rolling and warmed up not only do the CF wheels feel more nimble and lighter than the alloy wheels but once I start some spirited driving the wider wheels front and back come into play.

Of course we all know the spring rates on the R models are 24% stiffer than the Track or Tech Pack cars so combine the larger/stickier tires, lighter and larger wheels along with a car that weighs at least ~90 pounds lighter than a Track Pack car so it all adds up. The weight savings on the front CF wheels alone are 30# with the rears being 28# lighter.

I ordered my R's without A/C, radio, speakers and that reduces the weight of the car by 21# and with no carpet underlay I save another 5# in weight.

Not sure what the weight savings are with the removal of the tire inflator kit, no carpet in the trunk, exhaust resonators deleted and having the back seats removed and replaced with a lightweight cover does to the overall weight but suggestion it will also be quite helpful.

For you all these differences may not mean much and I certainly respect that but for me the sound and overall feel of this car is completely different than my GT350 and that is based on owning and driving one of each.

Maybe some fellow R model owners will provide their thoughts and can either confirm my feelings or tell me that I am full of crap!:headbonk:

Spot on - couldn't have said it better myself! :thumbsup::ford:
Sponsored