Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford raptor. 2019 GT 350 R Black red pinstripe. 1948 Ford 4 door sedan. 1973 stingray corvette.
Not when new. Just tracked mine out of the box, joyful experience
I have another question for you. When you tracked yours new out of the box, did you have the dealer install the strut mount and if so did you adjust the camber settings when you went to the track. Or did you just track your GT 350 with the same camber settings you use when you are street driving ?

And if you did adjust your camber settings at the track, did you readjust and just drive the car home ?
Sponsored

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I have another question for you. When you tracked yours new out of the box, did you have the dealer install the strut mount and if so did you adjust the camber settings when you went to the track. Or did you just track your GT 350 with the same camber settings you use when you are street driving ?

And if you did adjust your camber settings at the track, did you readjust and just drive the car home ?
Caveat: I don't have the adjustable strut mounts from the dealer on my 2017. That said ...
- My first track event in the car was literally out of the box. I don't even think I replaced the brake fluid. Front camber was a minor issue
- After that, I modified the camber using eccentric bolts and got to -2.8* front and -1.8* rear (with factory adjustment pretty much maxed out). On an R with the CF wheels and the Cup2 tires, this has worked well and I have super even tire wear.
- Only other mods are oil separators (the Ford Racing ones), brake fluid (Motul RBF600) and jacking rails for easy tire swaps. That's it. The car is an animal and far faster than my actual race car (E36 BMW that is fully gutted and caged and weighs <2700 lbs).

For cars with adjustable camber mounts, best practice is:
1) Go to alignment shop. Set the track alignment and get the toe-in right for the track camber setting (typically you want 0 toe or very minor toe-in or toe-out, depending on your preferences and the car). Mark the camber plates/ bolt location at this point.
2) Set camber to a street-friendly setting. Meausure the toe. On most Macpherson strut suspension cars, you'll get a tiny bit of toe-in as you reduce the negative camber - which is good for the street. If the toe ends up in a good place, mark the plates/ bolt locations at that point.

From there on out, all you have to do at the track is jack up the front end, move the plates to the track marks, tighten down the bolts, and drive. Then at the end of the event, pull the plates back to the street marks and drive home.

Because I only use my R for fun drives and don't put a ton of miles on it, I've been fine leaving it in a more aggressive track alignment full-time.

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R

Had them installed with a street alignment and it felt very good at that. Not ideal but I was not pushing the engine past 6K. Cornering was rock solid

They put me in an intermediate group and I passed most of the cars, never got passed but, in fairness, I am an advanced driver and an instructor

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Not arguing that. Part of the reason I get a bit riled is because they're using the R badge for the use case you just described. Tis' why I like the Track Package name for the track-focused cars. Ford nailed it with the Carbon Fiber Track Pack for the GT500 IMHO. That should have been the name for the what the GT350R is now.

At this point, I'll just finish the rant. The FP350S should have been the GT350R. Or at a minimum, it should have been more track focused (solid bushings, built-in halfcage, etc.). Just feels like a disservice to the original name.

Alright, rant over. I'll shut up now :)
I agree the originals were more hard core and I understand your wishes. It would definitely make the car more special.

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
I agree the originals were more hard core and I understand your wishes. It would definitely make the car more special.
But as stated, the originals were not R's, they were Competition cars. The R as it applies to those cars were customer and enthusiast applied

Sponsored

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
But as stated, the originals were not R's, they were Competition cars. The R as it applies to those cars were customer and enthusiast applied
Back in the day the 36 Competition Cars (2 prototypes and 34 customer cars) also became known as "R" models partly because of the R in the VIN for Race versus Street but mostly because of they were full fledged race cars.

Most people in the original Shelby world are very familiar with Rick Kopec who was one of the original founding members of SAAC and also editor of the Shelby American Magazine.

Prior to purchasing and after purchasing "5R098" from a location in Quebec, Canada in 1981 Rick usually referred to his car and the other 35 Competition Cars as "R Models" and I also found the term "R Model" was always used when Brown Bros. Ford up in Vancouver, Canada purchased and sponsored the lone R model that was shipped up to Canada in 1965.

Having viewed the first 1965 R model which sits in an impressive Shelby collection in Seattle and sits right beside two 1966 GT350 convertibles and having had conversations with that owner I suggest that the terms "Competition Car" and "R Model" are both widely accepted for these cars outstanding race cars.

:)

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Agreed
Back in the day the 36 Competition Cars (2 prototypes and 34 customer cars) also became known as "R" models partly because of the R in the VIN for Race versus Street but mostly because of they were full fledged race cars.

Most people in the original Shelby world are very familiar with Rick Kopec who was one of the original founding members of SAAC and also editor of the Shelby American Magazine.

Prior to purchasing and after purchasing "5R098" from a location in Quebec, Canada in 1981 Rick usually referred to his car and the other 35 Competition Cars as "R Models" and I also found the term "R Model" was always used when Brown Bros. Ford up in Vancouver, Canada purchased and sponsored the lone R model that was shipped up to Canada in 1965.

Having viewed the first 1965 R model which sits in an impressive Shelby collection in Seattle and sits right beside two 1966 GT350 convertibles and having had conversations with that owner I suggest that the terms "Competition Car" and "R Model" are both widely accepted for these cars outstanding race cars.

:)
Agreed although, technically not correct. A few of the original constructors are addament about it. But, to say the new GT350R is not true to its roots woukd be incorrect since they we not designated as a R model. Hooe that makes sense

OP
OP

RedRaptorME

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford raptor. 2019 GT 350 R Black red pinstripe. 1948 Ford 4 door sedan. 1973 stingray corvette.
Caveat: I don't have the adjustable strut mounts from the dealer on my 2017. That said ...
- My first track event in the car was literally out of the box. I don't even think I replaced the brake fluid. Front camber was a minor issue
- After that, I modified the camber using eccentric bolts and got to -2.8* front and -1.8* rear (with factory adjustment pretty much maxed out). On an R with the CF wheels and the Cup2 tires, this has worked well and I have super even tire wear.
- Only other mods are oil separators (the Ford Racing ones), brake fluid (Motul RBF600) and jacking rails for easy tire swaps. That's it. The car is an animal and far faster than my actual race car (E36 BMW that is fully gutted and caged and weighs <2700 lbs).

For cars with adjustable camber mounts, best practice is:
1) Go to alignment shop. Set the track alignment and get the toe-in right for the track camber setting (typically you want 0 toe or very minor toe-in or toe-out, depending on your preferences and the car). Mark the camber plates/ bolt location at this point.
2) Set camber to a street-friendly setting. Meausure the toe. On most Macpherson strut suspension cars, you'll get a tiny bit of toe-in as you reduce the negative camber - which is good for the street. If the toe ends up in a good place, mark the plates/ bolt locations at that point.

From there on out, all you have to do at the track is jack up the front end, move the plates to the track marks, tighten down the bolts, and drive. Then at the end of the event, pull the plates back to the street marks and drive home.

Because I only use my R for fun drives and don't put a ton of miles on it, I've been fine leaving it in a more aggressive track alignment full-time.
Thank you very much. That is great information from fluids to camber set up. I am going to utilize these points as I get ready to track the R next summer. I will leave my camber settings where they are now for " street driving" and adjust them at the track for track settings. Thank You.

OP
OP

RedRaptorME

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
Had them installed with a street alignment and it felt very good at that. Not ideal but I was not pushing the engine past 6K. Cornering was rock solid

They put me in an intermediate group and I passed most of the cars, never got passed but, in fairness, I am an advanced driver and an instructor
So you tracked your R with street camber settings ?

The ford technician at the dealership where I purchased my R and where the ford technician installed the strut mount set my cambers to street settings because he said if he set them to track setting for street driving I would shred the tires in 5000 miles or less.

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R

The ford technician at the dealership where I purchased my R and where the ford technician installed the strut mount set my cambers to street settings because he said if he set them to track setting for street driving I would shred the tires in 5000 miles or less.
Yes, I did. Not the best for the track though. And, Yea, I agree the track setting would be detrimental to tire wear on the street

Sponsored

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR

I tracked my R at street settings initially. Here is the result after 4.5 track days. Do the math which comes first for you, 5k street miles or 4 aggressive track days ;).

This all depends how aggressive you are. More aggressive cornering will wear the outsides, driver side in particular, much faster. Hence the need for more negative camber. But, highway cruising with a lot of negative camber will wear the insides out, but it’ll take 5k miles like the guy said. I do only 3k or so miles a year and mine is mostly track duty and have found -2.7 in the front to be about right for my driving. FWIW, I’m usually the fastest car at any event, maybe 2nd fastest occasionally.
09E76FE3-7912-463A-9C2D-61305390D7DE.jpeg

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I tracked my R at street settings initially. Here is the result after 4.5 track days. Do the math which comes first for you, 5k street miles or 4 aggressive track days ;).

This all depends how aggressive you are. More aggressive cornering will wear the outsides, driver side in particular, much faster. Hence the need for more negative camber. But, highway cruising with a lot of negative camber will wear the insides out, but it’ll take 5k miles like the guy said. I do only 3k or so miles a year and mine is mostly track duty and have found -2.7 in the front to be about right for my driving. FWIW, I’m usually the fastest car at any event, maybe 2nd fastest occasionally.
09E76FE3-7912-463A-9C2D-61305390D7DE.jpeg
How does your rear wear look by comparison? I had quite even wear across both front and rear with the track alignment noted above. While the fronts wore out a bit faster, by the time they corded the rears were so close to done that I just replaced all 4. I'm not blazing fast; I had a pro racer friend do a session in my car and he went about 2.5-3 seconds/lap faster than me.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, but since 2015 there are a lot of GT 350 R's being tracked quite seriously and with a few modifications the GT 350 R can easily become a raceable car.
As far as I know, the race series I've seen Mustangs in requires significantly smaller brakes, smaller wheels and restriction in the intake because the car makes too much power. For actual racing the interior including the dash and door cards would have to be stripped out and safety equipment such as a roll cage and fixed seats added. Also a fuel cell, etc. IMO it's a pretty major project to convert a GT350 to racing spec and I would say the process isn't that much different than converting a regular Mustang GT to racing spec.

I'm not saying the GT350 and R aren't very capable of running fast laps on a track. I'm just saying that racing spec is very different than a street/fun setup. These cars are setup for street driving. Yes they can handle a lot of track use, but track use and racing are not the same thing.

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR
How does your rear wear look by comparison? I had quite even wear across both front and rear with the track alignment noted above. While the fronts wore out a bit faster, by the time they corded the rears were so close to done that I just replaced all 4. I'm not blazing fast; I had a pro racer friend do a session in my car and he went about 2.5-3 seconds/lap faster than me.
My rears wear at About 50% the pace of the fronts still it looks like, despite the front camber plates. My rears wear pretty even, but still more outside bias and driver side bias (I do rotate tires as needed left and right). After 8 or 9 track days on my rears had maybe 40% tread left but they were heat cycled out and slide like crazy. I am looking into using tire warmers to make a track day one single heat cycle instead of 5 might help get more use...

the thing about “close to chording” with cup 2 is that you really don’t know until it happens. The outside grove disappears around 40% tire wear and you have 60% left. I did 2 days at grattan on new fronts and half the tire is a slick now (can get pic later). Presume I will have 2.5 -3 full days left on these fronts from past experience. But, it’s a guess still and why I lug my spare set of carbon wheels to track days with me —- it’s a blessing our car has space to haul 4 spare wheels and all the tools you need to save a otherwise ruined track day / weekend!

I don’t time myself but people did this past weekend and I was consistently in 1:26s at grattan and occasionally 1:25s with oem everything past camber plates. This takes a lot of corner aggression and was faster than all 5 Z06s that were there despite their significantly faster torque and power.

16Kobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Vehicle Showcase

You are only going to get 5-6K out of a set of Cup 2's any way.
Sponsored