honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
R for race I get it, but these cars really aren't intended for "racing". They don't match the specs for ANY race series and they aren't set up to track as-is. They are for driving on the street and for fun track taking it easy with the plan being to use the car again rather than being set up to win in a competition pushing to the absolute limits of man and machine.
Not arguing that. Part of the reason I get a bit riled is because they're using the R badge for the use case you just described. Tis' why I like the Track Package name for the track-focused cars. Ford nailed it with the Carbon Fiber Track Pack for the GT500 IMHO. That should have been the name for the what the GT350R is now.

At this point, I'll just finish the rant. The FP350S should have been the GT350R. Or at a minimum, it should have been more track focused (solid bushings, built-in halfcage, etc.). Just feels like a disservice to the original name.

Alright, rant over. I'll shut up now :)
Sponsored

RJay

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 - K1393
I always check my oil when the engine is cold but also have checked it after it has been running for a while but leave it at least 15 minutes before checking but the best method for me is to check my oil when the engine is cold.

Yes, Ford dipsticks are a pain especially these FPC engine configurations.

:wink:
Totally agree!

I prop my hood open every Saturday night. First thing Sunday morning the oil gets checked.

I have been very fortunate - break in oil changed at 1650 with zero consumption - current oil at 1952 with zero consumption.

:fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed:

I am Jeff

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
FBO C63, Ram 1500 Ecodiesel, 18' LB GT350, 19' Performance Blue GT350R
I always check my oil when the engine is cold but also have checked it after it has been running for a while but leave it at least 15 minutes before checking but the best method for me is to check my oil when the engine is cold.

Yes, Ford dipsticks are a pain especially these FPC engine configurations.

If you think checking the oil in the FPC is a Pain in the butt, try checking it with the drivers side oil separator. I literally have to bend my dipstick sideway and sneak it past the oil separator and strut brace.

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Don't disagree with the fact that a few extra pounds will not make that much of a difference with respect to track times and that Ford has softened up this car with 12 speakers and a sub-woofer in the trunk along with heated mirrors, navigation, SiriusXM, and 3 way power leather trimmed sport seats for the driver and passenger which certainly suggests to me that Ford is on a different path with the last year of the R model.

I know that I am from a different generation than most of our members but also suggest that people such as Kevin and I have a much different idea of what a true track car should encompass and those of us that still retain and own a Base R model are certainly happy with our decision to go with a spartan and Base R model which represents the true essence of what this car was meant to be.

Radio Block Off Plate.JPG
DSCF2393.JPG
The power leather trimmed seats were not an option for 19

Not arguing that. Part of the reason I get a bit riled is because they're using the R badge for the use case you just described. Tis' why I like the Track Package name for the track-focused cars. Ford nailed it with the Carbon Fiber Track Pack for the GT500 IMHO. That should have been the name for the what the GT350R is now.

At this point, I'll just finish the rant. The FP350S should have been the GT350R. Or at a minimum, it should have been more track focused (solid bushings, built-in halfcage, etc.). Just feels like a disservice to the original name.

Alright, rant over. I'll shut up now :)
About time :crackup:

In actuality, the R stands for Red in the case of the GT350. None of the R cars were ready for competition all the way back to 93. The lend themselves to easy transformation but, they are not Race cars. Coming out of an FR500C based car, they are very different.

OP
OP

RedRaptorME

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford raptor. 2019 GT 350 R Black red pinstripe. 1948 Ford 4 door sedan. 1973 stingray corvette.

In actuality, the R stands for Red in the case of the GT350. None of the R cars were ready for competition all the way back to 93. The lend themselves to easy transformation but, they are not Race cars. Coming out of an FR500C based car, they are very different.
Tim would you say that with a few changes, and really not many, the R can become a race car - roll cage, different fluids, etc. ?

A lot of people who own the GT 350 R are tracking them very seriously, and then you have the group of people who are installing roll cages and changing the seat buckles in them and racing them.

Sponsored

OP
OP

RedRaptorME

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford raptor. 2019 GT 350 R Black red pinstripe. 1948 Ford 4 door sedan. 1973 stingray corvette.
R for race I get it, but these cars really aren't intended for "racing". They don't match the specs for ANY race series and they aren't set up to track as-is. They are for driving on the street and for fun track taking it easy with the plan being to use the car again rather than being set up to win in a competition pushing to the absolute limits of man and machine.
Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, but since 2015 there are a lot of GT 350 R's being tracked quite seriously and with a few modifications the GT 350 R can easily become a raceable car.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350

To be fair, I never said the current gen of GT350R cars stood for race. I was just saying it's garbage how it's been handled compared to originally Shelby GT350Rs.

The original 34 Shelby GT350Rs were race spec...

Tim would you say that with a few changes, and really not many, the R can become a race car - roll cage, different fluids, etc. ?

A lot of people who own the GT 350 R are tracking them very seriously, and then you have the group of people who are installing roll cages and changing the seat buckles in them and racing them.
No. Any of the S550 cars require a metric crap ton of changes to become truly race ready. Going down this road myself and it's been so much work and I haven't even caged the car yet. In reality, you need to make drive train changes, tons of safety, new brakes, new suspension, etc.

OP
OP

RedRaptorME

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
To be fair, I never said the current gen of GT350R cars stood for race. I was just saying it's garbage how it's been handled compared to originally Shelby GT350Rs.

No. Any of the S550 cars require a metric crap ton of changes to become truly race ready. Going down this road myself and it's been so much work and I haven't even caged the car yet. In reality, you need to make drive train changes, tons of safety, new brakes, new suspension, etc.
Gotcha. Thank you.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Gotcha. Thank you.
I should have added - these cars are stupid capable from the factory. It's insane how track-ready they are. They can handle 25 min HPDE sessions all day every day. It's super badass.

But racing wear and tear is a whole 'nother level. I'd estimate $35,000+ is needed to become race ready.

Some highlights:
  1. $5K for coilovers
  2. $4-8k for racing brakes
  3. $2-5k for track wheels (so you can run 18in slicks)
  4. $5K for roll cage install
  5. $2-4k for engine upgrades (full build is $16,000+)
  6. $3-5k for misc. safety (seats, fire suppression, etc.)
  7. $3-5k for aero (splitter, wing, vents, etc.)
You could make it race-capable for less, but it won't be competitive in most classes due to its weight. It's insane.

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
I should have added - these cars are stupid capable from the factory. It's insane how track-ready they are. They can handle 25 min HPDE sessions all day every day. It's super badass.

But racing wear and tear is a whole 'nother level. I'd estimate $35,000+ is needed to become race ready.

Some highlights:
  1. $5K for coilovers
  2. $4-8k for racing brakes
  3. $2-5k for track wheels (so you can run 18in slicks)
  4. $5K for roll cage install
  5. $2-4k for engine upgrades (full build is $16,000+)
  6. $3-5k for misc. safety (seats, fire suppression, etc.)
  7. $3-5k for aero (splitter, wing, vents, etc.)
You could make it race-capable for less, but it won't be competitive in most classes due to its weight. It's insane.

Just bustin your chops HB. It took a minute to realize you were talking about the original 1965 R models vs the 2015 R models. Ant, the 65 cars were not R cars, they were competition models much like the 350PS. Any Mustang that you want to competitively race takes a but load of work but as HB said, the 350 and especially the R is a track monster, Vey close to my FR500C

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP

RedRaptorME

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
Thank you for the education. I didn't realize they needed that much change over to actually race. You would be basically changing the entire car over, almost, but not quite. $ 72,000.00 + $ 35,000.00 = $ 107,000.00 to have a GT 350 R race ready. Would be better off to buy a base GT 350 used and modify it cost wise.

I just purchased my GT 350 R, and I will not track it this year, but I will track it next year. Could you tell me what extra I will need to do to enjoy some track days. I have already installed the strut mount that came with car so I adjust the camber settings for track use. I assume I will need different brake fluid and engine oil. What else do you recommend ?

Thanks.

I am Jeff

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
FBO C63, Ram 1500 Ecodiesel, 18' LB GT350, 19' Performance Blue GT350R
Thank you for the education. I didn't realize they needed that much change over to actually race. You would be basically changing the entire car over, almost, but not quite. $ 72,000.00 + $ 35,000.00 = $ 107,000.00 to have a GT 350 R race ready. Would be better off to buy a base GT 350 used and modify it cost wise.

I just purchased my GT 350 R, and I will not track it this year, but I will track it next year. Could you tell me what extra I will need to do to enjoy some track days. I have already installed the strut mount that came with car so I adjust the camber settings for track use. I assume I will need different brake fluid and engine oil. What else do you recommend ?

Thanks.
The stock gt350r is ready for the track out of the box. It's better than a lot of production cars out there. The upgrades that honey badger is speaking of is refinement and improvement to the vehicle. You're fine tracking your brand new gt350r as is.

OP
OP

RedRaptorME

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
The stock gt350r is ready for the track out of the box. It's better than a lot of production cars out there. The upgrades that honey badger is speaking of is refinement and improvement to the vehicle. You're fine tracking your brand new gt350r as is.
Thank you.

Different fluids ? No.

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Not when new. Just tracked mine out of the box, joyful experience

Last edited: