Dfeeds

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
Alright next update. Had several master techs listen to the car and say they don't hear anything. Now I will admit it was very difficult to hear the dull thudding in the shop, but it was still audible. I played my video and one of the techs responded with "well why isn't it making that sound now?" Ffs it is! You're just 70 and have shitty ears. I didn't say that but I wanted to... anyways, we had an automatic GT roll in for a comparison and they said the difference in sound was that the twin disc clutch chatters a lot so that's what I'm hearing rattle. Fine, whatever, I don't care about the rattle. I care about the deep thud/knock. So I asked to listen to my car next to its sister car on the lot. The master techs didn't come with because it was raining, but guess what? NO THUD! The tech who came with said he can't do anything because the master techs didn't hear anything. I mentioned the "master" tech's response to the video and he just shrugged. So now I'm just livid. I recorded the sound of the 2019 GT with 3 miles on it, btw. It doesn't sound pretty but it sounds better than mine.

EDIT: grammar
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dfeeds

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
here's the video. You can actually hear mine thudding in the background. Such shit that they couldn't hear it

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Metallic GT PP1
here's the video. You can actually hear mine thudding in the background. Such shit that they couldn't hear it
Willful ignorance, laziness and or incompetence on their part.

Do you have another dealer close by?

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
Alright next update. Had several master techs listen to the car and say they don't hear anything. Now I will admit it was very difficult to hear the dull thudding in the shop, but it was still audible. I played my video and one of the techs responded with "well why isn't it making that sound now?" Ffs it is! You're just 70 and have shitty ears. I didn't say that but I wanted to... anyways, we had an automatic GT roll in for a comparison and the difference in sound was that the twin disc clutch chatters a lot so that's what I'm hearing rattle. Fine, whatever, I don't care about the rottle. I care about the deep thud/knock. So I asked to listen my car next to its sister car on the lot. The techs didn't come with because it was raining and guess what? NO THUD! But the tech who came with said he can't do anything because the master techs didn't hear anything. I mentioned the "master" tech's response to the video and he just shrugged. So now I'm just livid. I recorded the sound of the 2019 GT with 3 miles on it, btw. It doesn't sound pretty but it sounds better than mine.
Pretty much the attitude I got. I took mine in to the dealer and did exactly as you. Had a tech listen and he could hear the noise (early 20's age). Brought it back to be inspected. They wasted an entire day with the car because the older master tech and shop foreman could not hear the noise. I had to come back in and reproduce the issue for them and leave it for another day. Went to pick it up and was told that they could now hear and produce the noise but could not identify where it was coming from and that the shop foreman thought it was coming from my modified exhaust (of course even though I clearly stated that I had this issue before any mods were done and had pictures showing cylinder wall damage). I was told they compared it to another 5.0 on the lot and heard "similar noises" (should be a clue that my exhaust had nothing to do with it then). Had all of this written down of course so that is where I am at. It is very frustrating that they treat customers in this manor but their job is to deny as long as possible until it is an actual issue to avoid any warranty claim.

TGGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Same treatment I got last week. I get the feeling that their techs are being told to ignore this issue

Sponsored

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
Ditto. This is my first mod motor so it was unfamiliar. At first it was only noisy when cold but now it knocks when warmed up and that's just not okay. I'm worried of getting the "it's normal" treatment, too, when it's not. It it's normal for this car to knock then that speaks more to the severity of the problem than anything. I have my apt in 2 hours. I'll keep this thread updated about my issue.
Anybody that says it normal while the engine is hot needs there head examined, its not normal.

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
Alright next update. Had several master techs listen to the car and say they don't hear anything. Now I will admit it was very difficult to hear the dull thudding in the shop, but it was still audible. I played my video and one of the techs responded with "well why isn't it making that sound now?" Ffs it is! You're just 70 and have shitty ears. I didn't say that but I wanted to... anyways, we had an automatic GT roll in for a comparison and they said the difference in sound was that the twin disc clutch chatters a lot so that's what I'm hearing rattle. Fine, whatever, I don't care about the rattle. I care about the deep thud/knock. So I asked to listen to my car next to its sister car on the lot. The master techs didn't come with because it was raining, but guess what? NO THUD! The tech who came with said he can't do anything because the master techs didn't hear anything. I mentioned the "master" tech's response to the video and he just shrugged. So now I'm just livid. I recorded the sound of the 2019 GT with 3 miles on it, btw. It doesn't sound pretty but it sounds better than mine.

EDIT: grammar
Did you rev the engine to 2000 rpms or just let it idle for them?

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I'm really starting to think that rattle, which is probably rod knock from a swiped journal bearing, is the further progression of the infamous "BBQ tick" that people are hearing almost right out of the factory.

OP
OP
Dfeeds

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I'm really starting to think that rattle, which is probably rod knock from a swiped journal bearing, is the further progression of the infamous "BBQ tick" that people are hearing almost right out of the factory.
In my case it really seems like it's starting to sound like rod knock at only 550 miles. Damn tech said it's impossible because these engines are "bullet proof." Well so were the old 302 HO engines but those managed to bust, too.

Stangman I did rev the engine. Well, they did. They said the rattle is clutch chatter. I couldn't argue because the automatic was not making the rattle, but the other manual trans was (same prod date as my car so take that as you will, that video I posted of it doesn't sound healthy). I pointed out the knock as my biggest concern. The tech couldn't hear it except for in my videos (the ones posted on page 2). After hearing those he asked "well why isn't it making the knock now?" I said it was, it's just harder to hear in a noisy service center. He gave me a look that said bullshit, then said the video sounded like I had my phone against the block. Well, yeah, no shit... because something is banging against it. He wouldn't have it, though, and told me to get at least 1000 miles on the car. At 1000 miles this knock will either miraculously disappear or be loud enough to echo off of my surroundings.

OP
OP
Dfeeds

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Alright so an update for those of you that are getting shooed away at the dealer. I got in contact with the service manager and he said he witnessed the exchange, wanted to get involved, but I was gone by the time he came around. Problem or not, they're supposed to run a basic diagnostic when there's a claim instead of just "well it sounds good to me!" I now have another appointment to see him personally and dicuss the issue.

Sponsored

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
Basic diagnosis is usually just connecting up to see if there are any DTCs and maybe pulling and inspecting the oil filter. Usually won't find anything significant like what we are complaining about.

OP
OP
Dfeeds

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Basic diagnosis is usually just connecting up to see if there are any DTCs and maybe pulling and inspecting the oil filter. Usually won't find anything significant like what we are complaining about.
He was just making a point. He wants the car for a couple of days to pinpoint what I'm talking about. If he wants a shot to make up for his incompetent staff then I'll give it to him. Examining the oil filter could also, potentially, find some metal shavings if the low end knock is a bearing going south.

OP
OP
Dfeeds

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Car has been at the dealer for a week. The new tech sat with me and listened for the sound, and heard it after a while. He admitted to not being very familiar with these engines but didn't think it should sound that noisy at 700 miles. They called me and said they think they isolated one of the problem sounds to the clutch assembly, but also tore open the oil filter as per Ford's instructions. Apparently there was a lot of powder like metal in the filter, more than the tech was comfortable with seeing. Ford advised to pull the pan and now we're at a hang up. The dealer wants a new oil pan because these plastic ones aren't reusable, but they're on back order (surprise!). The advisor said that a new engine would be able to be obtained within days, so if I wanted to gamble on their being a serious problem or not then they could pull the pan now (as opposed to letting me keep the car at home for the duration). However, the tech said he will be going on vacation for the next week and doesn't want to leave it unfinished for that long and asked if I'd be okay with him waiting until he came back. I agreed, and went to pick up the car. Holy pumpkin am I glad I did. There's construction going on so every car in the lot is filthy. They said I could use their car was facility but it has brushes so I opted out. I'm so glad I put a fresh coat of wax on the car two days before taking it in.

So, yeah. Looks like I may be added to the list of replaced short/long blocks. There's still a part of me that really hopes it's not that severe (having a tech swap an engine is hardly as nice and neat as a factory installed engine), but we'll see. I'll update as things progress.

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
So when someone does the OPG they have to replace the oil pan ? I don't buy that.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
...also tore open the oil filter as per Ford's instructions. Apparently there was a lot of powder like metal in the filter, more than the tech was comfortable with seeing. Ford advised to pull the pan
If there's a really noticable amount of metal particles in the oil filter, that's not a good sign. I did my 1st oil change at 2200 miles, and also cut the filter open and found nothing in the oil filter. I cut open every filter on my vehicles, and usually see a small aluminum flake or two on the 1st oil change on a new vehicle, but nothing on the Mustang which actually surprised me.
Sponsored