Sponsored

2019 Mustang GT Auto Very Rough Idle/Engine Stall

hope5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
UPDATE: Still no car. Apparently the dealership is still waiting on one last part before they can start the repair which is the camphasers. Had to call Ford corporate to escalate the issue since it's literally been 2 months since the first appointment with Ford.

Better video of the startup noise, if anyone can confirm it's coming from the valvetrain that would be great. After the click I can hear a quiet rattle so maybe it is that?
Sponsored

hope5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
2018 Mustang GT PP1 here with 42k miles, was experiencing rattles, startup noises, rough idles and weak acceleration. Ford issued to replaced my VCT solenoids. Should have the car back this week. Literally just bought this car 2 months ago so whoever traded it in, i hate you šŸ˜‚
2 months later after being lied countless times for the ETA, parts have arrived and will be getting some VCT parts replaced this coming tuesday. Still not sure which VCT parts theyre replacing since they told me different everytime I called. After waiting for 2 months without a car, I ended up picking it up while waiting for the parts and while doing so, the "clacking" noise got louder. The clacking noise can be heard in the cabin so I'm assuming it is the VCT components.

ShellzSteezy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shelston
Vehicle(s)
F 150 5.0
I have. 2018 f-150 5.0 engine was having this issue. I would stall at lights n stop signs. I cleaned my throttle body with throttle body cleaner and a wire brush. Fix the issue!!!

Salty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0 MT-82, 2019 5.0 10R80
I myself have just noticed that these symptoms are happening as of recent. Specifically during morning traffic. Luckily I did not stall and but I noticed that idle was not happy, no CEL as well. I'll continue to monitor if things get worse. After reading pages on this thread its a shame there's no definitive answer on what's going on. Could be an oil change, could be cleaning of TB, replacing solenoids, etc. Seems like you have to play the guessing game

hope5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
I myself have just noticed that these symptoms are happening as of recent. Specifically during morning traffic. Luckily I did not stall and but I noticed that idle was not happy, no CEL as well. I'll continue to monitor if things get worse. After reading pages on this thread its a shame there's no definitive answer on what's going on. Could be an oil change, could be cleaning of TB, replacing solenoids, etc. Seems like you have to play the guessing game
No fix after timing chain tensioners and VCT solenoids replaced. Ford buyback process started last week, car has been in and out of dealer since January. Engine rattles got much louder can be heard on decel idle or moving, shaky idles (rpm staying steady though), startup rattle and knock is still there, weak accelerations, bad fuel economy, stalling, ... you get the point. Hoping the buyback gets approved soon.

I cleaned TB, MAF sensors, played around with harnesses, had 3 different oil changes with ceratec, had multiple performance shops diagnose it, but found nothing.

Sponsored

Salty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
So luckily the issue hasnā€™t came back and has been a couple weeks since the problem was noticed. To be honest I havenā€™t replicated the driving style which when the problem arose which was bumper to bumper traffic in hot south Florida weather. Iā€™m a bit worried now since I do want to tune my car for e85. The last thing I want to do is stack a problem on top of a new tune set up. I have also thought about asking my tuner about this issue but have not yet to pay for a tune just yet so not sure what help I will get if any.

I assume cleaning the MAF, TB and changing my oil is where to start?? From there keep an eye on it and hope for the best lol

HAVOC_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
I bought a 2019 w/ 79K in April of 2022.

Started experiencing the same issues as everyone else here. Rough Idle, Intermittent Stalling, AF Ratios varying at idle and coming to a stop. No CEL.

Took it into the 1st Ford Dealer for this as well as noise from the Engine Area, Low Oil Pressure when at Operating Temperature, as well as a few other concerns. Vehicle sat for 1 Month, untouched.

Took it to the 2nd Ford Dealer, same complaints as first, and was told that everything is normal, nothing to worry about, but had a leaking Valve Cover gasket...and sent on my way.

Fast Forward to this week. We got the car in at our shop and started teardown. LOADS of issues found. Two tensioners failed, 2 failed chains, guides worn, bearing failure, and those little plastic windage tray rivets, broken off and laying in the oil pan...

Get your car checked out if you feel like something is wrong. Alot of the 19's are still under powertrain, and while every situation is different, it's alot cheaper than an entire engine.

zstanny

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zac
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 HP; Prior:20 Camaro SS 1LE, 17 GT350
I bought a 2019 w/ 79K in April of 2022.

Started experiencing the same issues as everyone else here. Rough Idle, Intermittent Stalling, AF Ratios varying at idle and coming to a stop. No CEL.

Took it into the 1st Ford Dealer for this as well as noise from the Engine Area, Low Oil Pressure when at Operating Temperature, as well as a few other concerns. Vehicle sat for 1 Month, untouched.

Took it to the 2nd Ford Dealer, same complaints as first, and was told that everything is normal, nothing to worry about, but had a leaking Valve Cover gasket...and sent on my way.

Fast Forward to this week. We got the car in at our shop and started teardown. LOADS of issues found. Two tensioners failed, 2 failed chains, guides worn, bearing failure, and those little plastic windage tray rivets, broken off and laying in the oil pan...

Get your car checked out if you feel like something is wrong. Alot of the 19's are still under powertrain, and while every situation is different, it's alot cheaper than an entire engine.
Did you have a low oil pressure warning? Or what were you calling low? Two failed tensioners at 79K seems premature but I could be wrong. Did they say anything about that?

HAVOC_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Did you have a low oil pressure warning? Or what were you calling low? Two failed tensioners at 79K seems premature but I could be wrong. Did they say anything about that?
Spec from Ford at Full Operating Temperature, at 2K RPM is between 30-40 psi.

I was seeing as low as 22 psi and as high as 28 psi, HOWEVER, I had to get the RPM up to 2400 to see 30+ psi.

Upon teardown their was more "damage" than expected but nothing over the top. I believe the original owner had the stalling issue before he traded it in and never had it dealt with.

I'm in the process of replacing a bunch of stuff at the moment and definitely going to protect the new engine with the proper oil, OCI, and filter. Never know the full history but this car was not at a dealer it's entire life.

You can see the Primary Chain on the Passenger side drooped down...

20230428_131930.jpg

zstanny

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zac
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 HP; Prior:20 Camaro SS 1LE, 17 GT350
Spec from Ford at Full Operating Temperature, at 2K RPM is between 30-40 psi.

I was seeing as low as 22 psi and as high as 28 psi, HOWEVER, I had to get the RPM up to 2400 to see 30+ psi.

Upon teardown their was more "damage" than expected but nothing over the top. I believe the original owner had the stalling issue before he traded it in and never had it dealt with.

I'm in the process of replacing a bunch of stuff at the moment and definitely going to protect the new engine with the proper oil, OCI, and filter. Never know the full history but this car was not at a dealer it's entire life.

You can see the Primary Chain on the Passenger side drooped down...

20230428_131930.jpg
Gotcha. Iā€™ve seen as low as 19 at hot idle before, itā€™s typically 22 or so. But even 200rpms would put that 19 over to mid 20s. And my high side was always fine. Sounds like you werenā€™t failed, but definitely on your way out with the oil pump. Best of luck!

Sponsored

RedlineGW

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shannon
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP1
Is there a TSB for the rough idle issue? My local dealer said they couldnt duplicate the problem so they cant do anything unless Ford has a TSB for it or until a check engine light comes on. :(

Salty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Just wanted to update here. Recently did some maintenance and noticed a few things. Basically we did clean the MAF and TB, also changed oil and spark plugs. I had just hit 5k when we changed the oil. Upon the removal of the plugs my mechanic noticed some oil on the plugs, specifically the plugs closer to the front of the car (which I believe where the VCT system is?). Basically it was the only the first 2 plugs upfront, the rest were dry. The oil seemed to seep around the rubber ring around the spark plug walls. He thought they might need to be replaced but since the other ones towards the rear were not he then was thinking the oil thinned out and seemed to seep in. Basically I should change the oil a bit earlier then 5k. Since the oil change I have not experienced any issues on bouncing idles issues. The theory is the oil thinned out and he mentioned the VCT system is pretty sensitive. I will still monitor the situation and will pull the plugs for inspection next oil change to see if there's any oil on them.

KyriM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ky
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT
Reading through this thread have found it super interesting. My 2019 started shaking at idle and surging a little bit in the past month (check engine light came up). Took it to a nearby dealership and they put it on the diagnostic and found a KAM code, reset it and told me to come back if I had any further problems. Literally, two days later, same issue...took it to another dealership and they confirmed the random surge, looked at the datalogger and found all to manufacturer's specs. Throttle position voltage varies at time of surge, so they cleaned the throttle body and reset KAM. Told me to monitor and to bring it back if anything changes....so I am driving it as normal and hoping this is the last of it.
Sponsored