Dfeeds

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
I think people get mixed up with bearing problems and piston slap one has nothing to do with the other. Piston to wall clearance only changes with higher mileage taper in the cylinder, if it's set too tight from the beginning you will get score marks in the bores. When the engine is cold you may hear what sounds like a diesel sound coming from the intake manifold then as the car warms up the piston expands and the noise goes away that is piston slap. Since these engine use a cast silicone based piston the piston to wall clearance will be tighter around .002 you shouldn't hear any piston slap with that clearance hence the use of that piston material is to keep the engine quite. A forged piston will have a greater clearance in an OE application that would be around .003 - .004 in a race motor that could increase to .006 - .008 depending on the intended use of the engine. The spray in lining has been used in the GT 500 since 2011 or 2012 and is also used in the GT 350 I doubt that there is any problem with that process, I believe that the ticking problems are caused by poor clearances in the motor during assembly whether it be bearing clearance or connecting rod side clearance. If there is a bearing clearance problem cutting open the oil filter should reveal copper bearing material, however excessive connecting rod side clearance may not show any signs of trouble other than the typewriter tick. If the connecting rod side clearance is an issue a thicker oil may not completely solve the problem but it should make the sound less noticeable, if Ford can't assemble a new motor with the correct clearances then they should give the customer a cash incentive of 8K when purchasing a mustang so that they can rebuild the engines themselves and know it's done correctly.

The problem is that I bought a new car to avoid a rebuild. If I wanted to go that route I would have just bought a stroker kit and went at it.

Anyways, I think I plan on taking my car to the dealership today or tomorrow. I have zero dealership experience so what's my best course of action? I can call ahead, ask about the noise, maybe send the videos via email, or just roll up to their quick lane and say "ME HEAR NOISES." I don't know if this is one of those situations where playing ignorant is best. My thoughts are to call ahead, take it in, and just have an honest talk; hoping for the best.
Sponsored

udcvsean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
The problem is that I bought a new car to avoid a rebuild. If I wanted to go that route I would have just bought a stroker kit and went at it.

Anyways, I think I plan on taking my car to the dealership today or tomorrow. I have zero dealership experience so what's my best course of action? I can call ahead, ask about the noise, maybe send the videos via email, or just roll up to their quick lane and say "ME HEAR NOISES." I don't know if this is one of those situations where playing ignorant is best. My thoughts are to call ahead, take it in, and just have an honest talk; hoping for the best.
I called first and talked to a tech about the tick. He said he’d seen some Mustangs with the tick and treatment depends on the diagnosis. Tech said he was basically a month out until he could look at my car, so I scheduled the appointment online.

Brought the car in 9/27, picked up a loaner on 10/2, and got authorized for a short block replacement 10/5. As of yesterday my short block order is still being processed by the Parts Distribution Center, which ships parts by freight truck. Tech advisor gave me a rough ETA of “end of next week at the earliest”.

Also asked if they would comp me an extended warranty because my factory engine is getting the short block replaced. Advisor said I’m better off opening a case with Ford as they’ll probably give a better answer than if he asked. Will see what happens...

OP
OP
Dfeeds

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I called first and talked to a tech about the tick. He said he’d seen some Mustangs with the tick and treatment depends on the diagnosis. Tech said he was basically a month out until he could look at my car, so I scheduled the appointment online.

Brought the car in 9/27, picked up a loaner on 10/2, and got authorized for a short block replacement 10/5. As of yesterday my short block order is still being processed by the Parts Distribution Center, which ships parts by freight truck. Tech advisor gave me a rough ETA of “end of next week at the earliest”.

Also asked if they would comp me an extended warranty because my factory engine is getting the short block replaced. Advisor said I’m better off opening a case with Ford as they’ll probably give a better answer than if he asked. Will see what happens...

Potentially dumb question but regarding the tech, should I ask to speak to a tech, or would I just be transferred to one from the beginning? And thanks for the advice.

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I would just take the car in and say the engine doesn't sound right and wait for them to respond. If they come back at you saying it's normal then ask to look at another new car on the lot to see if it has the same issues. If they still insist it's normal then inform them of the various posts about the typewriter tick / bbq tick and bearing failures.

udcvsean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Potentially dumb question but regarding the tech, should I ask to speak to a tech, or would I just be transferred to one from the beginning? And thanks for the advice.
I asked to speak to a tech in the service dept first to see if they’ve dealt with the tick before. Once I confirmed this specific dealership has addressed the tick before, I decided to bring mine in. You’re welcome and good luck. Ps I have a grabber blue as well.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Dfeeds

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I asked to speak to a tech in the service dept first to see if they’ve dealt with the tick before. Once I confirmed this specific dealership has addressed the tick before, I decided to bring mine in. You’re welcome and good luck. Ps I have a grabber blue as well.

Well I called and there wasn't a tech available to speak to so I scheduled an appointment for tomorrow. The service guy asked what the problem was and gave me the "I've never heard of that on a new Mustang" but I suppose that answer is better than "it's normal." The dealer that sold me the car has been very helpful so I may try to see if she can help get me on the phone with someone specifically.

OP
OP
Dfeeds

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
UPDATE: I took it to a mechanic friend of mine who has seen plenty of coyote engines come through his shop. He basically said the car sounded normal, if it had 150k miles on it. He admitted to not being very familiar with the gen 3 coyote but, in his opinion, something is definitely wrong. I guess that is a given but having him tell me just cleaned out any doubt I had. This guy knows his stuff.

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue

This is how my trips have gone.

1. Met with salesman on a weekend, he confirmed it didn't sound normal asked me to come back during the week so a mechanic could hear it.

2, Met with mechanic, was kinda standoffish, wanted to play a video to him of my car and he didn't seem interested and said he must hear it while the car is there, etc.. He heard the noise and confirmed not normal, said sounded like bottom end, if removing some belts doesn't take away noise will get a new shortblock. Could have left the car there but needs a loaner, appt was pushed out 2 weeks due ot the fact they had no loaners available until then.

Cancelled appt to drop off as I thought noise was getting better. After more digging around and speaking to mechanics and other owners, certainly not normal as the noise is present while engine is hot and follows RPMs to an extent, not in rythym, but picks up.

Rescheduled appt and got about 2 week delay in again for getting a loaner, seemed odd its always 2 week clips as if they hope I cancel or don't show up lol. Asked if it could get pushed up and told no, asked service manager about the issue and of course he says he never heard of the issue, not very believable, almost asked salesmen to say you better tell this guy to stop trying to bullshit me, not appreciated.

OP
OP
Dfeeds

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
This is how my trips have gone.

1. Met with salesman on a weekend, he confirmed it didn't sound normal asked me to come back during the week so a mechanic could hear it.

2, Met with mechanic, was kinda standoffish, wanted to play a video to him of my car and he didn't seem interested and said he must hear it while the car is there, etc.. He heard the noise and confirmed not normal, said sounded like bottom end, if removing some belts doesn't take away noise will get a new shortblock. Could have left the car there but needs a loaner, appt was pushed out 2 weeks due ot the fact they had no loaners available until then.

Cancelled appt to drop off as I thought noise was getting better. After more digging around and speaking to mechanics and other owners, certainly not normal as the noise is present while engine is hot and follows RPMs to an extent, not in rythym, but picks up.

Rescheduled appt and got about 2 week delay in again for getting a loaner, seemed odd its always 2 week clips as if they hope I cancel or don't show up lol. Asked if it could get pushed up and told no, asked service manager about the issue and of course he says he never heard of the issue, not very believable, almost asked salesmen to say you better tell this guy to stop trying to bullshit me, not appreciated.
Yikes. Your dealer sounds pleasant. Aren't you worried having some disgruntled tech swap your engine? I have a back up winter car so fortunately I can avoid the loaner fiasco. Somewhat funny, if you think about it. You were the one who told me to enjoy my car and stop the madness and now look at us, just two more to add to the statistic.

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
Yikes. Your dealer sounds pleasant. Aren't you worried having some disgruntled tech swap your engine? I have a back up winter car so fortunately I can avoid the loaner fiasco. Somewhat funny, if you think about it. You were the one who told me to enjoy my car and stop the madness and now look at us, just two more to add to the statistic.
I also said unless you see metal shavings in oil, which I now see.

If this shit went away when engine was hot, wouldn't think a second thought about it.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Dfeeds

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
My point still stands. It's just amusing, I don't know... I'm trying to make light of things because this depressed the f*ck out of me.

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Metallic GT PP1
Good luck to you guys who are having this issue. I took mine in for the cold start “knock” and was told it was normal.

I do plan on driving mine and enjoying it and if it takes a dump then I’ve got myself on record with Ford as identifying a problem despite them saying it was normal.

I drive my car pretty hard. It’s not a daily but I get on it just about every chance I get. I’ll be putting a catch can on it and recording the oil catch rate along with looking for shavings.

My 19 was built in July of this year. I bought it on August 25th.

I do let the normal coyote noises get into my head sometimes but if it goes...it goes.

With that being said it does suck immensely that this seems to be a recurring problem for many folks.

Best of luck fellas. I read all the threads to educate myself on these motors bc I’m a complete newbie to Coyote motors. I have only ever had the old 302’s and 331/347 stroker experience.

OP
OP
Dfeeds

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Good luck to you guys who are having this issue. I took mine in for the cold start “knock” and was told it was normal.

I do plan on driving mine and enjoying it and if it takes a dump then I’ve got myself on record with Ford as identifying a problem despite them saying it was normal.

I drive my car pretty hard. It’s not a daily but I get on it just about every chance I get. I’ll be putting a catch can on it and recording the oil catch rate along with looking for shavings.

I do let the normal coyote noises get into my head sometimes but if it goes...it goes.

With that being said it does suck immensely that this seems to be a recurring problem for many folks.

Best of luck fellas. I read all the threads to educate myself on these motors bc I’m a complete newbie to Coyote motors. I have only ever had the old 302’s and 331/347 stroker experience.
Ditto. This is my first mod motor so it was unfamiliar. At first it was only noisy when cold but now it knocks when warmed up and that's just not okay. I'm worried of getting the "it's normal" treatment, too, when it's not. It it's normal for this car to knock then that speaks more to the severity of the problem than anything. I have my apt in 2 hours. I'll keep this thread updated about my issue.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr

Exactly my thinking on the issue so far. I was basically told that the low RPM rattle was normal. They did not even want to acknowledge my evidence of cylinder bore scoring or the fact that it consumed oil. Again tried to tell me it was normal. The bright side is I got all of this in writing with my mileage recorded so if anything does become an issue down the road, I have it documented that the vehicle was brought in and concerns identified as normal.

OP
OP
Dfeeds

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I'm at the dealer now. The first guy who pulled it in said he heard the knock right away but it sounds like exhaust -_-. Anyways, the knock is acknowledged so we're going from there. This isn't the rattle, anymore, however. I have a very pronounced knock and I'll be damned if anyone is going to tell me it's normal.
Sponsored