Sponsored

2019 Mustang GT idle thudding/knocking, authorized engine replacement

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I believe the connecting rods on the 2018 and 2019 are, in fact, aluminum)
Aluminum connecting rods have a cycle time and must be replaced, our connecting rods are steel.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Dfeeds

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
Aluminum connecting rods have a cycle time and must be replaced, our connecting rods are steel.
You're right, it's sintered steel, that's my bad.

Marcelo C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 gt pp1
Just giving everyone here an update! So once again for the 5 th time I took my car to another dealer! They confirmed I have damage on rod bearings and 2 cylinders are damaged! I don’t know anymore specifics as they did not let me go In The shop and look myself! I will be looking to lemon law as in total I will be out of a car over 30 days..... I’m very disappointed in Fords quality. It’s a beautiful car but a total P.O.S. So everyone that hears something wrong w they car. STAY on them as it is not normal.

Marcelo C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 gt pp1
I am not sure! But def will not be a Ford, I have owned many new cars. (I am 43) never had a engine replaced at 1,700 miles. So that to me speaks volumes of how Ford quality is! I know you can get a lemon with any manufacture,but with all the people on here having issues this is not just a case of some bad apples!

OP
OP
Dfeeds

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I am not sure! But def will not be a Ford, I have owned many new cars. (I am 43) never had a engine replaced at 1,700 miles. So that to me speaks volumes of how Ford quality is! I know you can get a lemon with any manufacture,but with all the people on here having issues this is not just a case of some bad apples!
I'm glad you managed to get things worked out! I'm on the opposite end as this is my first new car; it's not leaving a good taste in my mouth either. I'm not sure if I'll pursue the lemon law, because I do love driving the car (no drivability issues other than the noise, so far), but if the replacement engine is also problematic then who's to say I won't.

Sponsored

Marcelo C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 gt pp1
I'm glad you managed to get things worked out! I'm on the opposite end as this is my first new car; it's not leaving a good taste in my mouth either. I'm not sure if I'll pursue the lemon law, because I do love driving the car (no drivability issues other than the noise, so far), but if the replacement engine is also problematic then who's to say I won't.
I’m sorry about the situation you are in! Especially your first new car! Shame on FORD for doing this to people! But I can tell you this much. If they are replacing your engine your cars value is depreciated! So if you go to a lemon law attorney there is a good chance you can keep your car but Ford will have to give you a money settlement based on the depreciation of your vehicle! Forgive me for rambling about lemon law . As that is just the direction I’m headed! I hope all works out for you and everyone else that is in the same situation ! The only good thing about this experience for me has been the fact that everyone On this forum and YouTube has been united and trying to help each other

OP
OP
Dfeeds

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Okay well here's an interesting turn of events. Ford told the tech to check for excessive play on the crankshaft, and even if there IS NOT excessive play, swap out the short block anyways. I was talking to the advisor and he said the tech did NOT find excessive play, so this doesn't seem to make much sense. He said he's going to push for a long block because if Ford is just throwing parts at it then might as well just swap the whole thing.

Marcelo C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 gt pp1
Okay well here's an interesting turn of events. Ford told the tech to check for excessive play on the crankshaft, and even if there IS NOT excessive play, swap out the short block anyways. I was talking to the advisor and he said the tech did NOT find excessive play, so this doesn't seem to make much sense. He said he's going to push for a long block because if Ford is just throwing parts at it then might as well just swap the whole thing.
I just got my car back they replaced long block! I still have a Attorney working on Ford as I don’t want to keep car anymore!
But here is what the Tech told me : apparently the Main bearings are garbage ! My engine had damage to low end , damage to camshafts,cylinders 3&5 had scoring and tech said the timing chain tensioners also were damaged !! So def push for a long block.... especially since you had metal in your oil. Like I did

OP
OP
Dfeeds

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I just got my car back they replaced long block! I still have a Attorney working on Ford as I don’t want to keep car anymore!
But here is what the Tech told me : apparently the Main bearings are garbage ! My engine had damage to low end , damage to camshafts,cylinders 3&5 had scoring and tech said the timing chain tensioners also were damaged !! So def push for a long block....
I'm doing just that. The service advisor said he'll put a hold on things if Ford doesn't approve a long block and will escalate things. How is the car with the new engine?

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I went to the dealership here in town this morning and the service writer I spoke to said that they see a lot of this problem and that there is an internal service bulletin regarding it. He also said that they are being told to tell people that they don’t here it or that it’s normal. I’m not happy and I intend on pursuing the matter. In my case the car is modded and the writer I spoke to said that it doesn’t necessarily mean that they won’t cover it under the warranty, but he said they may refuse to look at the car at all

If a Ford Service Bulletin exists ask your guy what the number to it is.... they are all numbered.

The only internal Ford Service Bulletins that currently exist are:

1) Ford GSB G0000165 - Lower End Engine Diagnostic Aid https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/ford-gsb-g0000165-lower-end-engine-diagnostic-aid.112231/

2) Ford GSB G0000184 - Engine Failure Analysis and Tips
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...f-events-at-dealer.112041/page-2#post-2382602

3) Ford GSB G0000128 - Gas Engine Performance Modifications https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/tuning-and-warranty.101425/#post-2207436

None of those are specific to the 5.0 Coyote and no one has posted a Ford TSB/SSM/GSB yet that is specific to only the 2018-2019 5.0 Coyote “tick” or internal failure concerns. So if someone has access to that (if it exists), please post up the Ford Doc number...

I keep hearing (seeing) folks post that there’s some magical internal Ford doc that exists for the 2018-2019 Coyote Issues and everyone is keeping it a secret - however truth be told, any TSB/SSM/GSB that is available on the internal Ford network is also visible to all Dealerships and their Service Centers... so the here-say is garbage until that specific doc is posted up.

:)

Sponsored

Marcelo C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 gt pp1
I'm doing just that. The service advisor said he'll put a hold on things if Ford doesn't approve a long block and will escalate things. How is the car with the new engine?
The New engine def feels better,much smoother but from all the problems I have gone through I am a little paranoid lol. I still have a very slight rattle around 2200 rpm. But tech said it was normal

OP
OP
Dfeeds

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
The New engine def feels better,much smoother but from all the problems I have gone through I am a little paranoid lol. I still have a very slight rattle around 2200 rpm. But tech said it was normal
Move your shifter around when you hear the rattle, if it changes pitch then it's probably just clutch chatter.. I had the same mid RPM rattle that's mixed in with the piston slap rattle (I'm certain many people are getting the two mixed up).

I keep hearing (seeing) folks post that there’s some magical internal Ford doc that exists for the 2018-2019 Coyote Issues and everyone is keeping it a secret - however truth be told, any TSB/SSM/GSB that is available on the internal Ford network is also visible to all Dealerships and their Service Centers... so the here-say is garbage until that specific doc is posted up.
There's also some people who say Ford is trying to have people told this is normal and to send them away. Then there's me, who got off of the phone with the service advisor an hour ago, that had Ford give the go ahead for a short block even if the suspected problem in question wasn't found. There's A LOT of here say going on. Different dealers, different Ford employees on the tech line, different ways of approaching the problem... there's no way to know for sure what's going on with any of this. Everything is pure speculation and I have a feeling it may remain that way. All we can really gather is that Ford is aware that there is a problem.[/QUOTE]

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
But here is what the Tech told me : apparently the Main bearings are garbage ! My engine had damage to low end , damage to camshafts,cylinders 3&5 had scoring and tech said the timing chain tensioners also were damaged !! So def push for a long block.... especially since you had metal in your oil. Like I did
@Marcelo ... I might have missed it, but how many miles were on your car? If the bearings that Ford is putting in are garbage then it seems they go out at relatively low mileage.

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
What does he mean that the main bearings are garbage ? If they wiped out due to touching the crank surface that's a tight clearance issue and isn't the fault of the bearing.
Sponsored