Knocking at Idle and Pinging

66Bronc1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JT
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
My 2018 GT is at the Ford dealer for diagnosis. The type writer tick has turned into a knocking at idle and the rattle or valve clatter at 2300 RPM is more pronounced and does it even when warmed up now. It is also pinging- when I start off in first gear I hear a little bit of pinging. When I told my GF's son about it he asked me what fuel I was running and said 87 octane. He said the engine is a very high compression and I need to run 93 and it will resolve all of my issues. I explained that the manual states 87 is permissible and it is one of the reasons I choose the Mustang over the Camaro SS is that I can run regular gas. The car has 5500 miles and I have run only 87 octane since new and it never previously made these noises.

Anyone else change from 87 to 93 and have their engine ticking, pinging, knocking go away or be less pronounced?

I'll update my post as soon as I hear back from the dealer.
Sponsored

Blown86GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
How many miles?

VooDooDaddy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
Your car should not be pinging at idle, period. The engine/ECU were designed/programmed for you to be able to run the car on 87 octane fuel. 87 octane fuel will not get you the best performance out of the car, but it should run/idle sufficiently with 87 octane. The engine management computer will effectively "pull" ignition timing for the lower octane fuel, thus preventing detonation, especially at idle.

Could you experience detonation/pinging if you were to be using 87 octane fuel and putting the engine at high load at low RPM (going up a steep mountain pass) on a very hot day? Maybe, but certainly not at idle.

I would hazard a guess that the sounds you are hearing from the engine have nothing to do with the octane rating of the gasoline you are using, but a flaw within the engine itself?

Sponsored

OP
OP

66Bronc1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JT
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Your car should not be pinging at idle, period. The engine/ECU were designed/programmed for you to be able to run the car on 87 octane fuel. 87 octane fuel will not get you the best performance out of the car, but it should run/idle sufficiently with 87 octane. The engine management computer will effectively "pull" ignition timing for the lower octane fuel, thus preventing detonation, especially at idle.

Could you experience detonation/pinging if you were to be using 87 octane fuel and putting the engine at high load at low RPM (going up a steep mountain pass) on a very hot day? Maybe, but certainly not at idle.

I would hazard a guess that the sounds you are hearing from the engine have nothing to do with the octane rating of the gasoline you are using, but a flaw within the engine itself?
Yes, this is my thinking and why I am having the dealer check it out. The engine did not make these noises when new. The ticking started and got louder to a steady knocking at idle, then the pinging started. It burned 1 quart of oil from new to 3K. So far from 3K no more burning oil.

VooDooDaddy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
I don't understand WHY people run these cars on 87.
It depends on what you are doing. If I know I have a long drive ahead of me, over flat ground where my car is going to be running for hours and hours at 75mph / 2000rpm at 55 degrees ambient temperature with virtually no load on the engine, I will fill the tank with 87 or 89 octane because I don't need the car to be a rip-snorting beast on a long road trip, and I don't want to waste money on the more expensive and higher octane fuel that is simply not needed.

OP
OP

66Bronc1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JT
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I don't understand WHY people run these cars on 87.
It's a cost issue and availability for me. Regular is 2.59. Premium is 3.20 right now. When regular goes up to 3.00, premium will be 4.00. And also before and after a hurricane when gas is in short supply it is difficult to get premium here in Florida. Last hurricane my WRX had to sit a month as I could not get it. It is one of the main reasons I choose the GT over a Camaro SS is it can run on regular gas.

Tone Everready

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 EB and 2019 GT
It depends on what you are doing. If I know I have a long drive ahead of me, over flat ground where my car is going to be running for hours and hours at 75mph / 2000rpm at 55 degrees ambient temperature with virtually no load on the engine, I will fill the tank with 87 or 89 octane because I don't need the car to be a rip-snorting beast on a long road trip, and I don't want to waste money on the more expensive and higher octane fuel that is simply not needed.
Saving under $5.00 per tank vs always being ready to romp... I still don't understand it.

Tone Everready

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 EB and 2019 GT
It's a cost issue and availability for me. Regular is 2.59. Premium is 3.20. And also before and after a hurricane when gas is in short supply it is difficult to get premium here in Florida. Last hurricane my WRX had to sit a month as I could not get it. It is one of the main reasons I choose the GT over a Camaro SS is it can run on regular gas.
Why not just get a truck? Or maybe a family box sedan? I understand it CAN run on 87, but c'mon...

Sponsored

VooDooDaddy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 premium mustang gt black accent package
I have a noise at idle too typically only happens when it’s fully warmed up though, is that the same for you? Mine also started happening after an oil change. One thing I noticed that you might wanna try is putting the parking brake on and shifting into drive. From the engineering mode I noticed that when the car is shifted into drive from park or neutral the rpm goes down slightly and it’s enough to stop the noise.

I also have the noise in first gear at around 1500 rpm.

Maybe we have the same thing. If so I’m in Florida too so I might be headed to the same dealer as you haha.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Raising the compression up from the prior gen and still saying this can run on 87 octane makes me wonder how they could even make that recommendation?

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
I have a noise at idle too typically only happens when it’s fully warmed up though, is that the same for you? Mine also started happening after an oil change. One thing I noticed that you might wanna try is putting the parking brake on and shifting into drive. From the engineering mode I noticed that when the car is shifted into drive from park or neutral the rpm goes down slightly and it’s enough to stop the noise.

I also have the noise in first gear at around 1500 rpm.

Maybe we have the same thing. If so I’m in Florida too so I might be headed to the same dealer as you haha.

I believe his is DI. Not sure, but I've heard DI creates different issues than our 2nd gens do.

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 premium mustang gt black accent package
I believe his is DI. Not sure, but I've heard DI creates different issues than our 2nd gens do.

Yeah I know but if it’s something internal it could potentially be the same. We’ll just have to wait until his dealer diagnosis it.
Sponsored