Sponsored

2019 Mustang GT Tapping/Knocking

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Gentleman, just run a good synthetic 5w30, and throw in a half bottle of Ceratec. Cleared up that piston slap noise in my pony right away.

OP
OP
mejohn50

mejohn50

Intergalactic Snail
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
slow junk
Gentleman, just run a good synthetic 5w30, and throw in a half bottle of Ceratec. Cleared up that piston slap noise in my pony right away.
Not sure that’s going to do much in my case. I’m now noticing a definite bottom end noise at about 1700rpm in first like just cruising through a parking lot. Pretty sure it’s been there I just never noticed it.

I’d be fine with the 2000rpm rattle if it was confirmed DI noise. Looking at an HP Tuners download from a 2018 it’s possible. Around 2000rpm or so is where DI starts to blend in. But the bottom end tapping/knocking seems not normal at all in my case.

I don’t know. It would be nice to have some actual information from Ford. It seems dealers are giving inconsistent information, so it’s not like they are getting any “official” guidance. It’s hard to say, but it seems like the 18/19 5.0s are having more problems than the previous versions. Anecdotally, it seems like Ford is very willing to buy back 18/19 5.0s that have supposed engine problems as well. Does any of that mean anything? Probably not. I’ll see what my local dealer says later this month and go from there.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Not sure that’s going to do much in my case. I’m now noticing a definite bottom end noise at about 1700rpm in first like just cruising through a parking lot. Pretty sure it’s been there I just never noticed it.

I’d be fine with the 2000rpm rattle if it was confirmed DI noise. Looking at an HP Tuners download from a 2018 it’s possible. Around 2000rpm or so is where DI starts to blend in. But the bottom end tapping/knocking seems not normal at all in my case.

I don’t know. It would be nice to have some actual information from Ford. It seems dealers are giving inconsistent information, so it’s not like they are getting any “official” guidance. It’s hard to say, but it seems like the 18/19 5.0s are having more problems than the previous versions. Anecdotally, it seems like Ford is very willing to buy back 18/19 5.0s that have supposed engine problems as well. Does any of that mean anything? Probably not. I’ll see what my local dealer says later this month and go from there.
Well, I also installed an AC belt tensioner,.which basically got rid of the revving tick in car. Not sure exactly why, but now the only tick I have is a slight warmup tick. Once my engine is warmed up, not ticks at all.

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
Yeah my car likes the MC 5w30 synthetic blend also. I never had the tick though and still don't but the car idles super quiet now. @the lion says Ford added a chemical to their Motorcraft oil similar to Ceratec.
Nope, never said one time that Ford added something tot he factory fills. It's the same MC Semi-syn 5W-20 and 5W-30 you buy at walmart. But what I did say is some of the Boss 302 guys had the BBQ Ignitor or Typewriter tick really bad, even on a brand new replacement engine and a Ford Field Engineer suggested Carbon Powder additives to quiet down the engine. It basically thickens up the oil. CeraTec / Archoil have been popular aids to quiet down the clankyness.

I have a 2016 that knocks / rattles at about 3k rpm when cold. I'm at 25k miles and beat the living crap out of the car. Had a Power Pack 2 from Ford Performance, I'm running a 3rd option known as TriboTEX which isn't an oil additive per say (has no effect on the oil itself, only uses the oil as a carrier). It is basicaly a higher performing "ceramic" anti-wear additive similar to what CeraTec and Archoil have, but there are no chemical additives or chemical friction modifiers in TriboTEX. It's only purpose is to treat the wear surfaces and form a DLC tribofilm.

It wont' resolve knocks in most cases. But it does promote better oil adhesion, so oil films form more easily and these DLC coatings all have simlar properties in that regard, so at idle it may quiet down some ticking. It does seem to help reduce or eliminate the infamous BBQ Igniter Tick / Type Writer Tick but did nothing for my 2500~3000 RPM cylinder rattle when cold. The rattle goes away once the car is warm. It's done that since it was bone stock with just 5,600 miles I bought it used / factory re-certified.

I can even occasionally hear a bit of a knock at idle some times but it always goes away once the car is warm. I'm pretty easy on the engine when cold to avoid adding cold start wear. I also am running a ACEA A5/B5 spec 5W-20 oil that has a minimum HTHS of 2.9 cSt. SAE 5W-20's only have a minumum HTHS of 2.6 cSt. It is also API licensed so it will not void your warranty. It did NOT stop the 2500-3000 RPM rattle either, but it will provide the same high temp protection as most off the shelf group III hydrocracked "fake synthetics" like Mobil 1 and other similar oils etc. But you can never go wrong with OE spec oil. The 5.0's really do seem to run the quietest on the OE oil...which honestly doesn't surprise me given that the engine was developed and tested on MC Semi-syn. All their OE testing is on the OE spec oils like every other mfg. Sure, you can do better, but you should never have an issue running OE spec oil in a stock car unless your doing HPDE or other intense track work.

I know for certain the user manuals for the 2018+'s allow for 5W-30 for track use. A lot of 2015-2017 and even S197 guys run 5W-30's as well.

Sponsored

Nanashii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I hoped I would never have to deal with this, but my 2019 GT has the tap/knock. Happens at about 1200rpm the worst. 1500 miles on the car. Trying to take it in on Friday, hoping the German dealers know what they are doing.

I have read a lot about all this, and it's my understanding there is no guaranteed fix yet. Anyone have any details or new insider information on what Ford is going to do going forward?

I have a 2018 with the 2200 RPM rattle and over the summer I also had the knocking you are describing. It was most audible with the clutch pedal pressed all the way. The warmed the oil was, the louder the knock. I took it to the dealer back in July and they said everything was normal. At some point the knocking disappeared for the most part. Never saw any codes, or experienced a loss of power.

Here are a few videos I took. If you listed to them with headphones you can hear a low frequency thud which is what the knock sounded like. In the last video you can also hear a tick when the phone is under the fender.

OP
OP
mejohn50

mejohn50

Intergalactic Snail
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
slow junk
I have a 2018 with the 2200 RPM rattle and over the summer I also had the knocking you are describing. It was most audible with the clutch pedal pressed all the way. The warmed the oil was, the louder the knock. I took it to the dealer back in July and they said everything was normal. At some point the knocking disappeared for the most part. Never saw any codes, or experienced a loss of power.

Here are a few videos I took. If you listed to them with headphones you can hear a low frequency thud which is what the knock sounded like. In the last video you can also hear a tick when the phone is under the fender.

The knock on mine seems to mostly go away when FULLY warmed up. The rattle is pretty much there all the time. I can’t 100% tell if it changes based on engine temperature, but I don’t think it does much if at all.

OP
OP
mejohn50

mejohn50

Intergalactic Snail
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
slow junk
Time for a non-update: went to the dealer this morning for the appointment I scheduled three weeks ago. I was assured a technician would be available to road test and hear me recreate the noise. Nope, just the service writer. Then I was told I can’t leave the car because of the holidays and I have to schedule a new appointment for after the new year. Now I have a new appointment to leave the car for a week (wtf?) in just under a month. Seems excessive. Why did I make this appointment? I did recreate the noises for the service writer so that is something.

OP
OP
mejohn50

mejohn50

Intergalactic Snail
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
slow junk
Random thought. I saw a couple Facebook posts a while back about shops offering 2018 short block swap packages for 11-17 cars wanting a budget bottom end build. I wonder how many 11-17 cars are running around with one of those swaps and if any of them have any of the noises that are being reported here.

OP
OP
mejohn50

mejohn50

Intergalactic Snail
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
slow junk
Well, had my appointment at the dealer this morning and it went about how I figured. I was able to duplicate all noises for the service writer and the tech. They listened and said it’s normal. They wouldn’t even write the car up as being seen for the issues. They said it’s normal and sent me on my way. Sigh.

Sponsored
OP
OP
mejohn50

mejohn50

Intergalactic Snail
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
slow junk
Open a case with Ford customer service and tell them you want your engine torn into because of the noises the engine makes. That's what I did and I'm getting a new long block because I had camshaft damage.
I’m doing my own oil change next week, sending out an oil analyses, and cutting open the factory filter. Ive already contacted Ford about this. Since I have a US spec car in Germany they want me to work with the seller and the German dealership to try and resolve it before they get involved. What I find in the oil will determine how hard I push in the short term. Worst case I wait until I have the car back in the US a year from now and try again. We will see.

Stokely77x

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ashley
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Well, had my appointment at the dealer this morning and it went about how I figured. I was able to duplicate all noises for the service writer and the tech. They listened and said it’s normal. They wouldn’t even write the car up as being seen for the issues. They said it’s normal and sent me on my way. Sigh.

I'm right there with you man. I got the documentation this time. Previous dealer wouldn't write mine up either. Im getting an oil change in a couple of weeks and I'll complain again. They'll eventually get tired of hearing me. Seems that's the only way dealers around here work in my area. I'll keep getting it documented so when she blows I can at least say I have numerous complaints about the noises.
20190108_203541.jpg

OP
OP
mejohn50

mejohn50

Intergalactic Snail
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
slow junk
I'm right there with you man. I got the documentation this time. Previous dealer wouldn't write mine up either. Im getting an oil change in a couple of weeks and I'll complain again. They'll eventually get tired of hearing me. Seems that's the only way dealers around here work in my area. I'll keep getting it documented so when she blows I can at least say I have numerous complaints about the noises.
20190108_203541.jpg
I have another appointment scheduled in two weeks at the same place. I’ll just keep going back until the car stays and they open it up.

I love the car. Just want it to be right, and it’s not right now.

Stokely77x

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ashley
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I have another appointment scheduled in two weeks at the same place. I’ll just keep going back until the car stays and they open it up.

I love the car. Just want it to be right, and it’s not right now.
I couldn't agree more... I absolutely love my GT and I dont want a different vehicle. I just want what I have to be right as well. But I'm gonna keep on driving the car I love. But I'm also gonna keep on them about the noise. Keep us up to date on what they tell ya.

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
20190108_203541.jpg
Just sell it
Sponsored