mejohn50

Intergalactic Snail
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
slow junk
**Update 10 Feb 2019** Found metal in my oil filter after being told noises are normal. Pics have been sent to dealer, waiting on their response. Pics in this post: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2019-mustang-gt-tapping-knocking.113607/page-3#post-2460132

I hoped I would never have to deal with this, but my 2019 GT has the tap/knock. Happens at about 1200rpm the worst. 1500 miles on the car. Trying to take it in on Friday, hoping the German dealers know what they are doing.

I have read a lot about all this, and it's my understanding there is no guaranteed fix yet. Anyone have any details or new insider information on what Ford is going to do going forward?

Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
mejohn50

mejohn50

Intergalactic Snail
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
slow junk
I hear it. Where are you recording the video at? Fender or under the car?
Right outside the driverā€™s door under the pinch weld. Sounds like itā€™s coming from the bottom rear of engine to me.

TnWHTMARE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
Yup, best just sit back and enjoy the car. The problem isn't going away, even with a new engine. We are just playing a waiting game now. There have been some engine replacements that apparently had metal in the oil but whether or not that is related to this noise is yet to be determined. And Im betting not. From what I can tell, this type of noise isn't uncommon for the coyotes. Not sure if it is "worse" for the 3rd gen or not.

OP
OP
mejohn50

mejohn50

Intergalactic Snail
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
slow junk
i have it, and i have a second engine. Be back after 1500km....maybe normal...
Yup, best just sit back and enjoy the car. The problem isn't going away, even with a new engine. We are just playing a waiting game now. There have been some engine replacements that apparently had metal in the oil but whether or not that is related to this noise is yet to be determined. And Im betting not. From what I can tell, this type of noise isn't uncommon for the coyotes. Not sure if it is "worse" for the 3rd gen or not.
The plan is to enjoy the car, but Iā€™m going to take it in to get it documented. It runs fine, no knock on datalogs, but I am not taking a chance. Assuming the dealer tells me itā€™s normal, I will be doing used oil analyses and cutting open my filters on all oil changes. Thanks for the feedback.

Sponsored

OP
OP
mejohn50

mejohn50

Intergalactic Snail
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
slow junk
I also should have made clear in my original post: the car also has a rattle from 2000-2500rpm. Sounds like a diesel. Has had that since basically new. I initially thought it might be DI noise, but now Iā€™m not so sure. Itā€™s difficult to capture on camera so I donā€™t have a video if it.

The dealership here that I have to go to canā€™t get me in for almost a month. Iā€™m not worried about the noises, I just want documentation that itā€™s making what I believe are not normal noises.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Yeah, that's starting to sound more like a rod knock from a bad journal, and not just the regular bbq tick from random piston slap.

OP
OP
mejohn50

mejohn50

Intergalactic Snail
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
slow junk
Yeah, that's starting to sound more like a rod knock from a bad journal, and not just the regular bbq tick from random piston slap.
Yeah that was my first thought. Got an appointment end of December. Unfortunately since I have an American spec car in Germany I have to go to one specific Ford dealer. That dealer only has a few techs trained on American cars, and an even fewer number on Mustangs. Hope they get me taken care of.

Last edited:

TnWHTMARE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
I dont know mvfjet, I'm actually more inclined to think that is piston noise. Sounds alot like my old Z28 and GTO, which were known for that very thing. Does it get better when it warms up?

Sponsored

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I dont know mvfjet, I'm actually more inclined to think that is piston noise. Sounds alot like my old Z28 and GTO, which were known for that very thing. Does it get better when it warms up?
Good question, because if it is a piston, it should change a little as it heats up. I know mine did. But mine didn't sound as loud as that.

Burning oil is a dead give away.

TnWHTMARE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah it's loudest at cold start. The car burned about 1.5 quarts of oil at 4860 miles. Once warm it quiets down a lot sometimes to the point I don't hear it.
See, that sounds ALOT more like piston. If its a bearing tolerance, it doesn't get better with temperature. Oil consumption and quieter when warm sounds like a piston/bore issue to me.

TnWHTMARE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
Good question, because if it is a piston, it should change a little as it heats up. I know mine did. But mine didn't sound as loud as that.

Burning oil is a dead give away.
True.

Paddy_0511

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang EU GT 5.0
I have the same noise, but I dont have it with my first engine:( But now with the second engine i have the same noise, and i dont know why...

TnWHTMARE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
So some guys have the tick but no rattle. I have no tick but I have the rattle. Some guys have both.
I'm a tick and a little rattle(slap).
Sponsored

Last edited: