mejohn50

Intergalactic Snail
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
slow junk
I couldn't agree more... I absolutely love my GT and I dont want a different vehicle. I just want what I have to be right as well. But I'm gonna keep on driving the car I love. But I'm also gonna keep on them about the noise. Keep us up to date on what they tell ya.
I’ll be updating this thread every time I take it in.
Sponsored

Amaury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
na
Mine is starting to sound too. Will ask the mechanics when the oil is due to verify it. I'm not worried at all.

OP
OP
mejohn50

mejohn50

Intergalactic Snail
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
slow junk
Dealer agreed to keep the car and diagnose. They didn’t seem too concerned about replicating the noises this time so not sure how this is going to go. I expect to have it back this afternoon with no action taken. At least I have it on paper that I have brought it in for issues.

OP
OP
mejohn50

mejohn50

Intergalactic Snail
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
slow junk
Dealer agreed to keep the car and diagnose. They didn’t seem too concerned about replicating the noises this time so not sure how this is going to go. I expect to have it back this afternoon with no action taken. At least I have it on paper that I have brought it in for issues.
As expected. Just got the call. Considering the typewriter tick TSB, that noise is considered normal now. They also told me the rattling is a “normal characteristic of the direct injection”. Will be (finally) doing my first oil change and cutting open the filter this weekend.

OP
OP
mejohn50

mejohn50

Intergalactic Snail
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
slow junk
Changed the factory fill oil today at 3500 miles. I assume metal in the oil is normal to go along with the “normal” ticks, knocks, and rattles from my engine. This is from the filter. Oil from the pan looks glittery as well.

Sponsored

ponyv6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ozzy
Vehicle(s)
2019 301A PP1 Velocity Blue
I have a 2018 with the 2200 RPM rattle and over the summer I also had the knocking you are describing. It was most audible with the clutch pedal pressed all the way. The warmed the oil was, the louder the knock. I took it to the dealer back in July and they said everything was normal. At some point the knocking disappeared for the most part. Never saw any codes, or experienced a loss of power.

Here are a few videos I took. If you listed to them with headphones you can hear a low frequency thud which is what the knock sounded like. In the last video you can also hear a tick when the phone is under the fender.

:facepalm: they said normal to this knocking?
My 19 started to knock at 150 miles but it is only audible from inside when the oil is fully warmed up. it is at 800 miles now it is almost same. Didn't get worse or better.
I have been planning to take it to the dealer but cant decide. I wanted to talk to technician yesterday but as expected no technician available. The service writer heard it. And he said I need to leave the car and it will take at least 1 week for a technician to take a look at it. Not to mention, engine needs to be fully warmed up to hear it, so someone will drive the shit out of it. :angry:
I guess I will not go back.

did anyone that has the knock on 18-19 try removing the AC belt ?

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Changed the factory fill oil today at 3500 miles. I assume metal in the oil is normal to go along with the “normal” ticks, knocks, and rattles from my engine. This is from the filter. Oil from the pan looks glittery as well.

That is not a normal amount of metal "glitter" on a first oil change. Your engine is eating itself. Better show the oil, filter and photos to your dealer.

OP
OP
mejohn50

mejohn50

Intergalactic Snail
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
slow junk
That is not a normal amount of metal "glitter" on a first oil change. Your engine is eating itself. Better show the oil, filter and photos to your dealer.
Already emailed them to the dealer. I kept the oil and filter as well, just in case. The oil from the oil pan doesn’t look much better.

And I was being sarcastic about it being normal. The dealer has told me everything else is normal so why not this right?

cib24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mazda RX-7 Type RS
Already emailed them to the dealer. I kept the oil and filter as well, just in case. The oil from the oil pan doesn’t look much better.

And I was being sarcastic about it being normal. The dealer has told me everything else is normal so why not this right?
Whatever happened to your situation after sharing the metal particulates in the oil with the dealer and with Ford?

OP
OP
mejohn50

mejohn50

Intergalactic Snail
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
slow junk
Whatever happened to your situation after sharing the metal particulates in the oil with the dealer and with Ford?
Sorry I never updated. I did another oil change and the filter was spotless this time. I don’t know. Still runs hard so I’m going to keep driving it.

Sponsored

cib24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mazda RX-7 Type RS
Sorry I never updated. I did another oil change and the filter was spotless this time. I don’t know. Still runs hard so I’m going to keep driving it.
So, what do you think all that metal was? Break-in debris? Is that even a thing?

OP
OP
mejohn50

mejohn50

Intergalactic Snail
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
slow junk
So, what do you think all that metal was? Break-in debris? Is that even a thing?
Apparently break in debris. I mean, that seems like the only explanation. I have cut open two more filters since then and they were spotless. Engine is still noisy, but it runs how it’s supposed to and isn’t down on power or anything.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Apparently break in debris. I mean, that seems like the only explanation. I have cut open two more filters since then and they were spotless. Engine is still noisy, but it runs how it’s supposed to and isn’t down on power or anything.
And it will, for many years. What people seem to forget, is all engines will break in to a certain point. Then, they begin to wear out. No engine lasts forever.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I did the first oil change on my 2015 GT at 2200 miles. I've done a lot of new vehicle first oil changes over the years, so I expected to see some "glitter" in the oil and some debris in the filter. I barely saw any glitter in the oil, even when putting a strong light on the oil in the drain pan and stirring the oil. Cut the factory filter open and saw 2 or 3 super small aluminum flakes. I think it's the cleanest first oil change I've ever seen, which was a pleasant surprise.