mejohn50

Intergalactic Snail
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
slow junk
Slight update: went out and got the car nice and fully warmed up. The low rpm tapping/knocking goes away. 2000-2500rpm rattle still there but less so. Sigh.
Sponsored

Last edited:

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 Race Red
I have the same typewriter tick noise as posted by OP, i don't pay much attention to it but when i observe it occasionally on cold starts i can hear it and it usually goes away after engine is warmed up and i start driving. The ticking noise is random and is sometimes very fast, typewriter-ish like in the video and at times it's slow like a BBQ tick. I also have the engine rattle/metallic flutter noise when accelerating around 1800-2500 rpm as posted in the video by @mvfjet . I notice this behavior when the engine is running cold and it goes away after i drive for a while. My car is about 8 months old now with 6500 miles and so far i just ignored these noises since it drives great with no concerns. I did a oil change to full synthetic at 4600 miles and the tick didn't go away. But i'll probably take it a dealer next week to get it documented at least.

A couple of start videos that i took but couldn't get the the tick on the video. The first one is most recent and after my 1st oil change and the second video is 3 months old before i changed the engine oil

Mike305

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
none yet but in the worx
I have a 2019 and it has the same infamous tapping noise on cold start. The car has currently 1600 miles. Ive taken several videos of the noise for my records. I took the car to the dealer spoke to the advisor told him about it, he said leave the car here overnight so we can cold start it in the morning to duplicate it.. Heeh you all can guess what happened next. I got the “My technician couldn’t duplicate the problem”.. I truly sucks dropping $50,000 for a car whose engine sounds like crap and from what I’ve been reading in the forums the new replacement engines are doing the same thing and just recently to top it off every once in a while I smell coolant in the car.. For now Im just gonna start playing with different grades of motor oil see what happens.. So far I’ve tried penzoil ultra platinum 5w-20 full synthetic and it was too noisy I could hear the valvetrain at idle and slight taping. It would still tap/knock at startup.. So I went with 5w-20 motorcraft synthetic blend and I dont hear valve train noise but after the 3rd day It has a slight tapping on startup,, Im just gonna go up in weights 5w30,10w-30,5w-40 and finally 10w-40 to see what it likes best till i find it the switch over to amsoil,, and enjoy the car.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT
I have a 2019 and it has the same infamous tapping noise on cold start. The car has currently 1600 miles. Ive taken several videos of the noise for my records. I took the car to the dealer spoke to the advisor told him about it, he said leave the car here overnight so we can cold start it in the morning to duplicate it.. Heeh you all can guess what happened next. I got the “My technician couldn’t duplicate the problem”.. I truly sucks dropping $50,000 for a car whose engine sounds like crap and from what I’ve been reading in the forums the new replacement engines are doing the same thing and just recently to top it off every once in a while I smell coolant in the car.. For now Im just gonna start playing with different grades of motor oil see what happens.. So far I’ve tried penzoil ultra platinum 5w-20 full synthetic and it was too noisy I could hear the valvetrain at idle and slight taping. It would still tap/knock at startup.. So I went with 5w-20 motorcraft synthetic blend and I dont hear valve train noise but after the 3rd day It has a slight tapping on startup,, Im just gonna go up in weights 5w30,10w-30,5w-40 and finally 10w-40 to see what it likes best till i find it the switch over to amsoil,, and enjoy the car.
Take it to several dealers. I took mine in to the local dealer (small town) and they fed me the same bs line. After wasting a week at the local dealer, I took the car back and took it to a big dealer in Atlanta. They are tearing into the motor as we speak.

OP
OP
mejohn50

mejohn50

Intergalactic Snail
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
slow junk
Still no updates from me. I appreciate everyone dropping in and sharing their stories and experiences. I’m still driving the car and the noises are not getting worse. I have had zero oil consumption from new. I’m just hoping that by the time I get in to the dealer with the car (later this month) they have a better idea of what the problem is and the associated fix. Probably wishful thinking.

If they send me on my way with a “normal sounds” diagnostic I’ll be cutting the oil filters at every oil change and doing a UOA as well.

For everyone else having the issue I hope you get it resolved. I really enjoy my car and I’d hate to have to consider a buyback. It is disappointing to have a new car, no matter the cost, make noises like this.

Sponsored

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
If they send me on my way with a “normal sounds” diagnostic I’ll be cutting the oil filters at every oil change and doing a UOA as well.

Well, that's where I'm at. I took it in, and they even went out and started up all 4 Mustang GT's they had sitting on the lot. 2 of them had the tick. My guess, is the other 2 will develop it eventually. LOL

Because of this, the tech even agreed it sounds like minor piston slap, and may in fact be engineered into the allowed tolerance of the cylinders/pistons. He said to go ahead and use 5w30 oil all the time, since it is allowed by the manual.

As a result of this, I have decided to run 5w30, add 1/2 bottle Ceratec to augment lubrication, and I also installed an A/C belt tension arm, which in my case actually helped. I am also cutting open all oil filters and doing oil changes every 5,000 miles from now on. No extended oil changes for this car.

Mike305

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
none yet but in the worx
Hey Condor are you running 5w30 semi synthetic or full synthetic?

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Hey Condor are you running 5w30 semi synthetic or full synthetic?

Right now... Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30, plus 1/2 bottle Ceratec. It says Full Syntehtic, but who knows?

There is an issue with PUP that I can't help but think is counter productive when using Ceratec. PUP has tons of calcium and other cleaning agents. Ceratec depends on plating cmoponents to provide lubrication and protection. I can't help but wonder if the PUP will quickly wash away the leftover Ceratec after my next oil change using PUP again. Because of this, I may just switch to regular Mobil 1 5w30. No EP, or Super Syn, just the regular M1 5w30.

Stokely77x

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ashley
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Sigh... I just bought my GT and it only has 225 miles on it and it ticks and rattles at low rpm. I have a appointment with ford next week to see what the verdict is. I am 100% completely new to the mustang scene. I came from the 2.0 ecoboost community. So I may ask silly questions along the way, but just learning.

Mike305

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
none yet but in the worx
Yesterday morning I switched the oil from the motocraft 5w-20 synthetic blend to penzoil 10w30 PUP full synthetic to see if it would sound better at coldstart and it didnt like it too much it sounded noisier than with themotorcraft 5w20 synthetic blend so this morning I went to walmart and bought motorcraft 5w30 synthetic blend and so far so good.. lets see in a few days,, I ran a bit of Archoil but lasted 1 whole day it was emptied out with the10w30 oil.. hopefully this will be my last oil change for 3000 miles so far I’ve done 5w20PUP, 5w20MC Syn Blend, 10w30PUP and now 5w30MC Syn Blend..

Sponsored
OP
OP
mejohn50

mejohn50

Intergalactic Snail
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
slow junk
@the lion says Ford added a chemical to their Motorcraft oil similar to Ceratec.
Would be nice to know if that was true.

On the subject of oil, I ran Amsoil Signature Series 5w-30 in my 2013 and 2014 GTs. They both liked it, and the UOAs came back good. But since that oil doesn’t meet some standards I’ll likely not be using it in this car when the time comes.

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Yesterday morning I switched the oil from the motocraft 5w-20 synthetic blend to penzoil 10w30 PUP full synthetic to see if it would sound better at coldstart and it didnt like it too much it sounded noisier than with themotorcraft 5w20 synthetic blend so this morning I went to walmart and bought motorcraft 5w30 synthetic blend and so far so good.. lets see in a few days,, I ran a bit of Archoil but lasted 1 whole day it was emptied out with the10w30 oil.. hopefully this will be my last oil change for 3000 miles so far I’ve done 5w20PUP, 5w20MC Syn Blend, 10w30PUP and now 5w30MC Syn Blend..
Are you really noticing a difference in sound between each oil? how much time/miles are you going between each change?

Mike305

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
none yet but in the worx
Are you really noticing a difference in sound between each oil? how much time/miles are you going between each change?
With my oil experimenting about 100 miles between changes so far the last one I put in is motorcraft 5w30 synthetic blend and so far, at least in my engine, its been the quietest at cold starts with this oil.. I guess I’ll be sticking with this one for now. I’m not gonna bother with it unless it gets really really bad with this oil. When that happens I’ll take it back to Ford and this time I’ll park it outside in the customer parking lot at night, take the key home and show up the next morning at 7am when they open so my service advisor, manager and myself can have a group listen when I coldstart it outside not inside the shop where I sound like a Nightclub with 3 radios cranking music full blast at the same time..

Last edited:

Stokely77x

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ashley
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Oaky, so I called the local dealer to have the car looked at on Monday instead of Friday. I'm sure they will say there is nothing wrong. I talked to the service guy and he acted like a butt head when I was moving the appointment to Monday. Like it was a great inconvenience for him. But nevertheless... the ticking I can sorta live with. But after the engine is good and warmed up like sitting in traffic for a while, I can feel a knock thru the gear shifter and hear it. It doesn't do it when it's cold. Only does it after it warmed up. Is this the same issues you all are having?

Mike305

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
none yet but in the worx

This is what my car sounded like before i started playing around with the diffrent oil grades.
Sponsored